NLSV removal

nathan_454

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hehe yeah i here ya, sorry I'm just getting frustrated. not getting and fluid out of the nlsv, tried jacking up the front, tried everything i know of. I've got fluid to all 3 inputs of the NLSV, just nothing coming out of it.

I dissasembled it, cleaned it up and re-assembled it, taking not to get it put together correctly, but sill cant get any fluid through it.

The NLSVs are mounted tilted slightly to the front and have a steel ball inside that rests and restricts flow to the rear brakes. As weight is added to the back, the forward tilt becomes less and there is less forward pressure by the steel ball, allowing more fluid to the rears. With more weight there is more traction on the rear tires and more braking can safely be applied.

If you remove it there will be no control of the brake pressure to the back brakes, in effect full master cylinder pressure. This will cause rear wheel lock up long before the fronts resulting in the back end becoming loose and wanting to 'come around'. This is bad enough in a straight ahead stop but if in a turn the back end will swing out for sure.

If you have to remove it get a $50 adjustable brake pressure valve. It attenuates up to 60% of the pressure to the back. My 620 is 16" above stock height with 33 X12s and the weight transfer to the front is severe, lifting much of the weight off the rear tires causing them to lock up under even moderate braking. On wet pavement it was a nightmare forcing me to drive with 3-4 car lengths between me and the car ahead of me to allow me to slow carefully. After too many close calls I asked for and was given the advice to get a Brembo pressure valve. Fitted it and adjusted it until I could brake with fronts and back just barely locking together on dry pavement.

Hey Nathan, didn't know they came apart. FSM says not to fuck with them just reolace. There are bleeder nipples on them.

The FSM for bleeding is...

1/ master front

2/ master rear

3/ NLSV front

4/ front wheels

5/ rear wheels (left first)

6/ NLSV rear

7/ NLSV center

yeah they come apart, I read not to take them apart also, but the brake system of my 720 had been severely neglected, The master cylinder was full of what looked like mud. about a half an inch at the bottom of each reservoir, so naturally the rest of the brake system was just as bad, I purchased all new components to completely rebuild the system, minus the NLSV - so I took it apart and cleaned it. the little piston was frozen in the bore, but i got it all cleaned up and thought I had it, evidently not. as it was not letting brake fluid through to the rear circuit.

I took a trip up to pull-a-part in Tacoma and luckily they had an '80 720 on the lot, I nabbed up the NLSV and came home this afternoon and put it on had the brakes bled out in about 15 minutes.

like i said the brake system was BAD! the master cyl. was full of gunk, like i already stated

one front caliper was hung up, the other was leaking

both rear wheel cylinders were completely froze up

did i forget to mention that the previous owner was daily driving the truck like this? Scary.

But I got it! sigh of relief.

I guess this is what i get for taking on a $100 dollar Datsun! lol

Good deal. My '78 620 I got for $74 in '95 dollars. :lol: Lord only knows how much junk I picked up for it and never used. Got to be several thousand easy for the stuff I did. Not even counting $1,100 for tires..

Don't drink, gamble or whore around but it's likely cheaper.

• Like 1