71' 1200 coupe build

M.Creer

Well I now have a winshield so I'm about to start the build. First I need to get it roadworthy though. At some point make it sit an inch off the ground with a U20/Z18ET under hood. There's alot to d before then though.

061310200649_01.jpeg

Yes it runs.

060710204029_01.jpeg

to do list

1. Install windshield

2. Hook up gas tank

3. Repair floors

4. Daily drive it.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice man!!! before you daily drive it you had better get to work under the hood, trust me from experience these old things can run great one day and nto run at all the next. it would be in your best interest to replace the points, condensor, wire, cap, rotor, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, also flush and replace all brake fluid, and gear lube, and coolant, dont forget the thermostat. i hope you have an air cleaner for the carb. then time it, clean and check all electrical connectors, and give her a hood overall scrubdown in the engine bay. a vlave adjustment may also be in order, and possibly some valve stem seals. looking forward to seeing this build!!!! looks like you have already got started with the tune up, i would recommend ngk plugs instead of the champions though! good potential here, how abotu the interior?

nice man!!! before you daily drive it you had better get to work under the hood, trust me from experience these old things can run great one day and nto run at all the next. it would be in your best interest to replace the points, condensor, wire, cap, rotor, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, also flush and replace all brake fluid, and gear lube, and coolant, dont forget the thermostat. i hope you have an air cleaner for the carb. then time it, clean and check all electrical connectors, and give her a hood overall scrubdown in the engine bay. a vlave adjustment may also be in order, and possibly some valve stem seals. looking forward to seeing this build!!!! looks like you have already got started with the tune up, i would recommend ngk plugs instead of the champions though! good potential here, how abotu the interior?

I replaced the points, plugs,wires,cap& rotor to get it running. I'm installing the windshield today. Oil,coolant, and other things will be done soon.

Im SO watchin this one!

I want a 1200 SOOOOOOO bad, your luckey!

P.S. I "love" the "love" badge and headlight cover things, so old school!

Lol thanks

Of course it runs A12's never die....altho they can smoke a little :D

It smokes just a little. It actually runs smoother than my wagon

Nice! Excited about the build!

Thanks

Where did you find a windshield? Did you just find a random shop that had one?

Not at all. RATDAT3 on this forum tracked it down for me. He actually sold me this car. I saw it in his yard while buying some wheels for my Z, and asked him to sell it to me. A few weeks later it was mine.(He had 2, so he still has one now) We stayed in contact he's a good guy. It had the smashed windshiled. We've both been seaching for a shield, and he found this one for $100 from some guy in Seattle.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a U20 motor or an LZ16 lol no but really any U20's layin around? I'm also interested in front coilovers, and or stock struts, springs etc. I need alot of misc parts so if anyone has any parts in general let me know. Sorry I'll try and update on the 1200 this weekend. Here's an pic of the wagon from a few months ago. 14x7 inches all around.

090810110752_01.jpeg

Just a side note. The rack in this pic is on the 1200 now, and the wagon has one with longer bars. But it still needs a fairing, and a few other touches.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a reason for picking a U20? I actually have one sitting in the garage. It just seems like a spendy way to go, since everyone(part suppliers) want a fortune for U20 parts. wayno

Sitting in your garage as in complete? Interested in gettin rid of it?

I know. In part it's bein original. I've never heard of a U20 bein swapped into anything. From hat I gather they make decent power so why not? I could go alot of routes as far as motors go, but the U20 sticks out to me. Old school, single cam. And not an L or A series.