• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#21 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cars:EJ9 / EK9 / S30Z

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

Wow, thing's progressing here, every day i learn so much about the Z - it's amazing :)

1) I started to remove the heater core today, but i got some kind of bad Pain in my neck so after probably 15 minutes i had to stop the work. anyway, the heater core is loose but i need to unbolt the two hoses before i can get out the whole heating / venting system out of my car. then the most of the interieur is luckily out :) sadly i forgot to make pictures today...

2) i was abit afraid of the fact that i probably couldn't be able to do most of my work at home, because i have no car lift and no special tools in my garage. but after reading david Lovett's amazing S30Z build thread (im reading the other ones often too :D) for the second time i was pretty sure i will somehow be able to strip the whole car including engine and subframes in my garage. maybe not as easy as in a professional garage, but i think it will work with the help of some friends :)

3) Thanks to the input of Member HS30-H in my JNC Build thread i was able to find out my car is acutally a rare swiss market car, not an imported US-Model. cool :)
How i know this? On the glove box liner there are three japanese katakana characters (ス イ ス) which means Su-I-Su and stands for Suisse, see here:
Posted Image

that's his input:

As a 'Suisse' market car, you will find that it has many similarities with the north American market 'HLS30'-prefixed models, but also many differences. I would expect a nice close ratio 5-speed transmission ( FS5C71-A judging from your photos ) and a 3.9:1 Diff ratio. It will also have stiffer springing, damping and ARBs than the north American market versions, and a faster steering rack ratio too. It's a rare model of '240Z', and worth appreciating it for that.

Actually my engraved Serial number is: HLS30-56801 and yeah, i have a 5-speed manual gearbox. And of course another difference to the US-Model is the different front end with higher and smaller turn signals :) Now i know so much more about my car. thanks HS-30H you know really a lot :)

Hopefully my neck will be better again on saturday so i can contine with the heating system and start deconstructing the body :)

jdmbanner2011.jpg
My real JDM RHD EK9 & S30Z Project build Blog --> klick <--

#22 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

Just two things today:

1) Got the heater core out, hopefully I'll be able to get my tar mats out tomorrow with the dry-ice method. A buddy of mine will come over and give me some help :)
there still was some rusty old water in the heater core..
Posted Image

that's how it looked when all was out - it's getting clean inside :) in the meanwhile i also removed the relays and the ugly plush in the drivers side foot area..
Posted Image

Sadly one of the heater hoses is broken:
Posted Image

2) Luckily i managed to find a date stamp on one of the relays in the drivers side foot-area. it tells me the part was quality checked on 27th November in 1971. As HS30-H mentioned, it might be a november 71 build, but i researched a bit on the web and it might even be a january 1972 build.. but anyway, it was for sure registered in switzerland in the first half year of 1972:
Posted Image
more coming soon :)

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#23 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

So, today it was time to remove all tar-mats and sound-deadening mats by using the dry ice method.
Danny, a friend of mine came over to give me a hand and have a couple of beers :)

1) Cleaned out the car well:
Posted Image

2) Then i bought 6kg's dry-ice pellets (16mm) and a rubber hammer. I got the dry ice at the local pangas shop for about 33$ including Packing
Posted Image

3) filled in the stuff into the car and waited about 20-30 minutes until i heard the mats began to crack..
Posted Image

4) Hacked around with the rubber hammer on the tar mats and after that the came out really good in big pieces with a hammer and a spatula.
here's my friend danny working on the mats.
Posted Image

5) and here you can(t) see me working on the drivers side.
Posted Image

Made a big mess, but i will clean it up on monday and then you'l get some picures of the result. I think the method works pretty well, but after all it still took us about 2-3 hours.
anyway, it's done now :)

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#24 datrod

datrod

Wagon Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,181 posts
  • Cars:1971 datsun 240Z race car, 1972 240Z Back on the road.,1971 datsun 510 wagon(The Radio Flyer)

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

looks good man, where exactly are you located at??? you showed one picture of the frotn swaybar, it looks like someone has done metal replacement under the front rails, could be good or bad depending on the extent of the repair and the skill of the welder. also whats the deal with the rear quarters around the wheels? those dont look stock, looks like someone has cut and redone those as well. closer pics of the rear quarters please.

There is something going on with the rear wheel wells. Some work has been done there.

Looks like your going to have some fun with this one. Thanks for all the pic's I'm going to be watching this build. :D

I came here today to chew some bubblegum and kick some ass. Right now I'm all out of bubblegum. 

My biggest fear is that when I die, My wife will sell my cars for what she thinks I have in them.

:fu:

#25 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

so, i allready got a lot of t hings done i wanted to do tomorrow, but i think that's nothing bad :)

The biggest part of today was cleaning out the mess from yesterday's dry-ice action and work on some details.
After an hour of cleaning, vacuuming and filling a complete garbage-bag with crap again the car looked like this:

I Like <3
Posted Image

After the big cleaning was complete, i decided to do some other things i had in mind for a few days now, so i...
... removed the plastic covers behind the steering wheel
... removed the footrest rubber-cover
... removed all those Rubber-things in the floor-pans (Does anyone know what they're used for?)
... removed the wiring harness in the front, Antenna wire plus Audio wires complete
... removed the numberplate-lighting in the rear bumper
and at the end she looked like this inside:
Posted Image

So, interieur is almost done now. Next steps will be to remove the pedals and steering column, and then I'll begin to replace the Exterieur with the USDM / JDM Front end. When everything fits i'll start to take the exterior apart.

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#26 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

Progress may not be as fast as i hoped, but anyway i got a lot of things done yesterday and today. Usually i get stuck on some broken nuts or things don't working as i thought it may work, but overall i still have progress and it's great :)

Yesterday i did a lot of small things.
Got a set of jackstands and printed the jacking-section from the service manual, so i can jack it up soon:
Posted Image

I started with the steering wheel, and as i hadn't any nut who was big enough i took the wheel nut cross and it worked well :)
Posted Image

looked like this then:
Posted Image

After that i removed the accelerator pedal and link:
Posted Image

Next i wanted to remove the rear bumper who is bent by an accident from one of the previous owners, but sadly i wasn't able to get out the bolts in the side,
and o lot of nuts broke, so i decided to let it be for a while and only removed the rear number plate lighting:
Posted Image

Also got off the Tank Lid and the Lock surrounding (Still in place in this picture):
Posted Image

Also did some minor cleaning on the inside and removed a few screws here and there...

Today i decided to start with the steering Joint thing. worked out better than i thought :)
Posted Image

And that's the result:
Posted Image

then i started to remove the clutch and break pedals and got 'em loose, but i didn't get the pedal support bracket / Box out because it seems the clutch is mounted with some cind uf rubber on that, so i need to get rid of this first. As time got short i decided to get out that old panasonic Audio Amplifier that Was mounted under the firewall / Dashboard.
Posted Image

Well that's it for today, hope i'll be able to work on the lady soon again :)

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#27 dennis

dennis

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Cars:72 510

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

I am impressed, you get a lot of work done. If I spent this much time in the garage my wife would be yelling at me all the time.

#28 sycloned916

sycloned916

• PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Cars:One Bad 1968 SR520! Now Back Home!

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

For some Odd reason I like that carpet,don't know why but I do.
Your Truck Sucks!

#29 Braden

Braden

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Cars:1977 620 short box

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

I am impressed, you get a lot of work done. If I spent this much time in the garage my wife would be yelling at me all the time.

no kidding!!! my wife is crazy, i half to half ass my work and get done fast or i get bitched at!
car is coming along good man, its going fast now but the pace will slow down after you get it torn apart
"If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." -Ronald Reagan

#30 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

Thanks at all for your input :-)

@ Dennis & Braden: Yeah, i have actually Luck, because i work early and my wifle works later, so i have a couple of hours before she's back at home and of course im highly motivated as things work great now, i think progress will slow down a bit soon. specially then when i need to buy a lot of expensive parts and need to save some money all the time :)

@ Sycloned916: sadly i already threw it away, otherwise i'd shipped it to america :) But the carpet job was done horrible too. i think you can get this style of carpet in any carpet-shop :D

Next update coming on saturday i hope. I'd like to get some more things removed.. :)

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#31 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

hmm. i was a bit curious about my taillights all the time, as well as some of you. So i made some research with help of the mighty internet and found out that the guy who restored the car once must have done some kind of Corvette taillight conversion or something because these taillight-mounts are not genuine. compare here:
Original Datsun (Ignore the lines in the picture :D)
Posted Image

and mine:
Posted Image

the good thing: I think they just welded in those new mounts into the original tail light panel, so if i cut them out again and maybe ad some sheet metal, i'll have the original taillight mounts back in place.
Great, but sad i'll need to do some xtra stuff again :D need to order some taillight covers and tail lights so i'll have a template to cut the holes out..

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#32 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:00 AM

Yeah, made some serious progress today, and even was able to do more than i planned - great :)

1) Took a closer look once again at my taillights and figured out that the new mounts just have been welded into the original bracket and that means i just can cutem
back out - great :D You still can see the old surrounding in the picture:
Posted Image

2) drained the window cleaning fluid and removed the cleaning fluid tank:
Posted Image

3) Removed the complete pedal box :)
Posted Image

4) jacked up the car, but i need a floor jack who can do more height the jackstands are now in t he lowest position and that seems to be to low to work underneath:
Posted Image

5) Removed the damaged headlight cover on the drivers side:
Posted Image

6) Removed the frontbumper and broke a mount on the passenger side:
Posted Image

7) removed the tray-locks on the inside. needed to make cuts with the dremels into the screws to catch 'em but worked fine:
Posted Image

8) and last but not least: another view from the inside, how she looks now:
Posted Image

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#33 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

Well no work today, but a bit research :)

I was reading a bit about different Blocks and heads, because somewhere in my mind i try to put together some plans and dreams for the future of the build. It's far away, but its always good to have a plan, even if you might change it until it's getting real :)
Well, let's start with the engine now:
i'm a bit curious, but european versions might have had different configuration. refering to this site: http://datsunzgarage.com/heads/ i have a JDM Head from an L20 engine, because it's an E30 Head. but according to the car's history i don't t hink it's a JDM head. maybe anyone know's more about european configurations?
Posted Image

The block is a P30 Block and referring to this site: http://datsunzgarage...ngine/index.htm it seems to be equal to qhat guys in america got during the 71-73 build years.. we'll see what im able to find out..
Posted Image

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#34 Skib

Skib

The Kraken

• User Administrator
  • 20,699 posts
  • Cars:1982 280ZX Turbo

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

snap a pic of the the engine ID stamp on the oil filter side of the block by the last 2 plugs at the top of the block.
itl say - L20/L24/L26/L28 ( one of them )

P30 really dosent tell you anything

"your wrong like sex in a crib and someone needs to slap the shit out of you!"

"Now that the tears have stopped and I've brushed my teeth, welcome to ratsun..." - Rhapakatui

"I post.... therefore .. I am." - datzenmike
< Ratsun Cards order thread > ........ < 510 rear coilover order thread >

#35 Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Cars:1970 240Z, 1977 Chevy Scottsdale, 2009 Altima Coupe

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

Your car is most likely a 72. I believe 70-73(?), the storage boxes behind the seats open towards the seat backs.74 and up open towards the roof. I may be a little off with those years, but there is a Wikipedia page with tons of info on the 240 and will say the exact years.

This is an awesome thread. I'm restoring a 70 240z at the moment as well, but most of the time I find myself checking this thread to see if you've updated haha

#36 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

thanks @ all for your help and input. i really apreciate your love and help for my project. you're all great - guys :)

Yeah it's getting cold here in switzerland. snow started to fall and my water bottle in the garage was frozen today, but that doesn't stop me from working on the lady :)

1) To complete yesterdays post, i made a shot of the engine block tag and it's definitly a L24 block. regarding HS30-H's comment and what i know from the previous owner the engine definitly has had a rebuild once. s o we'll see whats inside once the engine is out. probably they've done some cool stuff allready :)
@ HS30-H probably i'll need one of your heads, but that's something i have to decide once the engine is apart - but thanks a lot for your help :)
Posted Image

2) Back to work :)
started with removing the sound / heat deadening mats in the storage trays:
Posted Image

Next i removed those fresh air vents. The one from the driver's side is stuck somehow and the valve does only work hard...
Posted Image

then i started to remove the door steps. but the screws where really unusable rusty:
Posted Image

so i took my dremel and cutted a new slot to get them out:
Posted Image

worked really well and they came out fine. as you can see almost no rust underneath:
Posted Image

there where some bubbles under the paint so i thought maybe there was some rust underneath. took a screwdriver and scratched of the paint. but it seams like they just
painted it badly, as under the paint there was another (seemms to be original) layer of standard white paint (no pearl as the car is sprayed now..)
Posted Image

well and then i started to remove the front valances. as you can see the right side is really damaged. if someone has a center piece please let me know.. it's hard to find those somehow..
Posted Image

and that's how the front end looks now:
Posted Image

really happy with today's progress and hope i can continue this "fast"

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#37 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

wooohoow :) first parts arrived here today:

a set of really worn but repairable JDM fender mirrors. and the good thing - they're genuine long type fender mirrors, not those shorter chrome types from the 510's you see often on ebay :)
Posted Image

and a headlight surrounding that will replace the broken one..
Posted Image

Fits pretty well:
Posted Image

and will look great once mounted, but i'll have to refurbish them first..
Posted Image

now back to work, started with some parts in the engine bay today:
removed the clutch cylinder first:
Posted Image

and then continued with the window washer pump and hoses:
Posted Image

next was the brake master Vac with cylinders and the brakeline distributer thing:
Posted Image

looks pretty empty now :)
Posted Image

then i jacked up the car to a higher level, to have better access underneath. as you can see i used some high-tech tools :)
Posted Image

somehow every car looks like a proffessional build when it's jacked up and wheels are removed :)
Posted Image

contiuned with removing the damaged rear bumper:
Posted Image

and that's how it looks underneath. really sad they broke so much things after they've restored it once. but ok. gives me the opportunity to do it better :)
Posted Image

that's it for today. not sure when im able to do the next update, as im off this weekend ...

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#38 WAGON JON

WAGON JON

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Cars:510 wagon

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Don't you just love scraping the tar from the car!
methylchloroisothiazolinone detective!
Encopresis breath!

#39 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

sorry, don't understand what you mean. my english isn't the best :unsure:

jdmbanner2011.jpg

#40 JDMjunkies.ch

JDMjunkies.ch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

As most people around the world im really busy now getting all the christmas gift and doin' all the christmas stuff, so at the moment i really don't get too much things done. anyway, the postal-guy brought another pre-christmas present to me and it was a used drivers side front lower valance i bought a few days ago. looks good. needs some sanding and repeainting but looks good and even the mounts were with it :)
Posted Image

There are some other packages on the way to me with more important parts for to continue the build and i have plans to get my other car into another home during winter so i have more space in my garage. it's getting really tight and as it is now i don't think i would have nough space to store all the bodypanels, doors, windows, etc.. of course i have a lot of other stuff to do and hopefully i'll find some time tomorrow. we'll see..

jdmbanner2011.jpg