New Brake Adjusters CHEAP!!

DailyDato

Everyone seems to be on the search for the hard to find non replacement brake adjusters for the front and rear drum brakes off most common dato's Http://www.rockauto.com they are listed as miscellanous brake parts, but they are under $8 NEW well plus shipping, just figured I would share what i found. They have a limited supply left, so once they are gone, they are gone.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fed-ex Just delivered all the parts all the parts for my rear brake job today, including these... they are good quality Beck Arnley pieces, but for whatever reason the adjuster screws are Loc-tited into the adjust sleeve. i had to battle with them a little to get them apart and free'd up, other then that top notch!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw these on Rock Auto too and was tempted to get some..Before I did, however, I wondered if the old ones could be "rebuilt"? Can you pop the old ones out and soak them in mystery oil or something to get them to free up? You can sometimes do this with Chevy stuff, and while a different design, the Datsun stuff operates on the same principle. Anybody done this? I would think once you get the shims off the backing plate, you can pop the adjusters off and soak the heck out of them by dropping them in some sort of lubricant.

510 rear screw type brake adjusters sieze up horribly. I'm not surprised the OP

got new ones he thought were loctited, but no - that just means they siezed up

in the climate controlled indoors sitting on a shelf. The thread tolerances are

extremely tight because it's an extra fine thread, plus the affects of aluminum

to steel electrolysis, plus weather.

I've gotten badly siezed ones apart after soaking in trans fluid for months/years.

Then I made them serviceable by replacing original adjuster stud thing with a bolt

of the same threading, with the end modified to have similar flats on it. This reduces

adjustment range, but the 17 or 19 mm bolt head makes the thing adjustable with

normal socket tools. I don't recall the threading spec exactly - it was an extra fine

M12 and wasn't that hard to find.