*** Speedy *** R1 carb'd Craziness

Yep, finally got my 510 ! Drove 500 miles round trip Saturday to get her. The car is a 1970, the interior is all there and in fairly decent shape. Exterior has zero filler. Small amount of rust, floors have holes in them and a small hole in the lower rear quarter. No biggie, I do bodywork, not worried about it. Went down not knowing alot about the drivetrain. They guy was not a datsun person. Turns out it has a l18 in it, bonus. and dual SU's and a 5 speed. The car needs fluids changes and whatnot, been sitting since 2001. But he said he has heard the engine run so I have high hopes. One issue is the trans wont shift into any gear, it's kindof stuck. Any ideas here? We think it'll loosen up but any suggestions would be great. Car is COMPLETE, eveything is there and the glass and bumpers are perfect. all trim is there happy about that. Another question, did the 1970 510's come with a black grill? I assume mine is painted but the guy said they came that way. Not sure. If it is painted any suggestions on paint removal without hurting the chrome underneath?? That's enough for now, next step is to get her running. Last but not least pics..... Better ones to come....

edit2.jpg

edit1.jpg

Proud new owner! !

edit3.jpg

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a great score very nice wub.gif

It being stuck in gear could be rusted up shift linkage rod soak it down with PB Blaster and keep soaking it for 2 or 3 days before you try to work it loose. As for the grill my mothers 71 510 wagon had a black grill from the factory so who knows it could be original unsure.gif

Sweet score man! She looks nice and straight, just needs some wheels and slammed ;) As for the Tranny. With the clutch in, the shift lever wont move at all? Does the engine turn over? Is it 'stuck' in neutral? Try turning it over while moving the lever around... Looking forward to your work on it and where is boonies Wa? Pretty sure all of Washington is the boonies ;)

Nice find, great to see the girlfriend / wife smiling, mine usually gives me the three day silent treatment when I bring home another project. she would never make a road trip with me to pick one up. Unless I bribed her with a side trip to some ultimate outlet mall or something. I really like that single axle car hauler. For the smaller cars that would be a great trailer.

Nice find, great to see the girlfriend / wife smiling, mine usually gives me the three day silent treatment when I bring home another project. she would never make a road trip with me to pick one up. Unless I bribed her with a side trip to some ultimate outlet mall or something. I really like that single axle car hauler. For the smaller cars that would be a great trailer.

Thats actually my buddy and his wife in the one pic. MY wife was at home password protecting the computer so I stop craigslisting lol.

Thanks for all the replys. The car is at my friends house (thanks Joby! !) untill my other car sells. SO I'll get more pics of the car as soon as I get over there.

Well, it's been the longest week of my life but I got to go play with my new toy saturday

Changed the oil and hooked up a battery just to see what workes and what doesn't also did some closer examining of the car itself.

ALL THE LIGHTS WORK ! Even the dome light HA! Blinkers dont blink but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. Turned the motor over and it turns even good sign.

The bad, got mor info n the trans. It is locked sloid. Had to push the clutch in to get her to turn over. Without the motor won't even turn. There is hopfully just something simple inside thats broken or out of place. Will be pulling the trans next.

As seen in the pics theres NO rust in the trunk, sweet. The passenger floor needs rapair though. Interior shots and also the SU air cleaners Joby found under the passenger seat. SWEET!

Can anyone tell what trans it is by the pic of the shifter? Also got the block numbers and head numbers. U67 good?

All questions and comments WELCOME. I'm still learning the ins and outs of 510's.

Thanks!!!

On to the oics..........

Picture048.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture078.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Picture073.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture067.jpg

Picture068.jpg

Picture072.jpg

Picture076.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture062.jpg

That's a 4-speed. You can tell by the "Monkey-Motion" lever on it(the pivot below the shifter that runs down to the swivel). People seriously give those away, so you're in luck there.

Loving the car.. it's too bad someone painted over that blue/green with that ghastly white. Looks like you're from Washington, so if you want to turn loose of those blue/yellow Oregon plates, I'll gladly take em off your hands :)

Sweet score man, now get her going.