Need your help accessing the mileage on a 521

Roger

Hello again everybody. I'm seriously looking at a 521 in Riverside California( you might know which one). I live in Maryland and want to drive it coast to coast to get it home, but will it make it? I don't know, and that's where you come in. I know a good deal about cars, but I've never owned a 521. The mileage is unknown, but believed to be about 131K. It could be 231 or 331K. How do you tell the difference? Does this have balljoints? OEM ball joints are rivited and replacement are bolted. What ways could I guestimate the true mileage? What clues do I look for? This vehicle has records, but they seem a bit confusing. Most are from the 1990's. It seems to have the original block, but how do I make sure? It has had a new head put on. 131k? 231K?

Well, if I buy it I will probably fly out before Christmas and drive hime on a southern route, avoiding the salt man and maybe helping out the fat man in red. I want to know the approx condition of this truck to see if I can make it home.What would you look for as far as reliablity goes? It is said to run fine. Good new tires and battery and shocks and alt.

What tools and what replacement parts would you pack in your suit case? I'm gonna pack this lap top and if I break down I will be contacting you folks rather directly. Is there a source for parts that is online that is best? should I take ignition parts? How about wheel bearings? Of course a manual.

While I'm out there, what about searching out some extra parts? I would like a camper shell in good condition tha tfits this truck well. Know of any in teh LA Area? I also need a oem bench seat in any mechanically sound condition. What else should I get? How about an OEM A/c unit? And teh sliding rear window?

I would want to eventually convert it to sd22.:rolleyes:

I would insert a picture but I don't know how to. You can see this truck by searching for "521 for sale in riverside california" in the 521 forum or for sale forum. It;s a nice , nice truck.

Need your help, Roger

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in California,and hopefully has a California plate and Pink slip. Contact the California DMV and request a title search. It will list all known title transfers from initial sale to the present and the "certified" mileage at each transfer. Check out WWW.DMV.CA.GOV. If the search turns up a trace that ends at Alabama, no matter what year, walk away! Alabama will title anything, salvage or not, with a "clean" title. Favorite waystop for stolen, scrapped or flooded out crap!

Use the door key to access the 521. If you want to assess the 521 as in to estimate or judge the value, character, mileage of, then look at the brake and clutch peddle wear. Does it have the original rad and heater hoses, hows the wear on the interior? Carpet, upholstery, arm rests? What has been replaced?

My 710 still has the original muffler and pipes on it after 36 years but this is an exception.

Speaking from experience... (I bought my 521 from the opposite end of the state because it was a 'runner'. It was my first Datsun, and I planned on driving it back home- about 550 miles. It made it about 150 miles before the alternator died... at night... in an icy storm... on a road with no shoulders... barely coasted to a safe spot.

Replaced alt next day and made it about 200 more miles before the head gasket gave out. Had to have it towed the rest of the way)

Driving a Datsun that you have owned for some time, and have maintained, and know every nut and bolt is one thing. Driving a Datsun that you have never known, across the country could be disastrous.

In my opinion, you will save more money and headaches by borrowing or renting a full size pickup, and a tow dolly- make the round trip drive in air conditioning with tunes and functioning brakes! Then when you're home, you can figure out what your new Datsun needs!

PS: i think you're talking about the red 521 in Riverside? I had a chance to check that one out a little bit... straight body, faded red paint, original L16 + 4spd, original mostly... Was told it runs good, but it had been sitting. looked like everything is there, but would definitely need some freshening. Start with new brakes, hoses, belts, maybe timing set/headgasket... just so you can be confident driving on the road with everyone else.

You can get it transported to your door for around $800, it might be cheaper in the long run, all the liability is theirs until they drop it off at your door. It will cost you more to fly out there and drive it back, motels, more than likely. Plus you don't need to take the time off from work for the drive.

I'm kinda in it for the advernture. I got a credit card and will travel. If it breaks, I will fix it(on theside of the road). I'm jpretty good mechinacally. Just need the engine/trans/clutch to hold up.I can do everything else on the way home.

I need to know about parts sources. Where is wilmington? Who are the usual suspects for ordering maintinance parts?

I am not thrilled about the red paint. I got a red car now. I really want original paint and that is more important than a bunch of dents. I gus dents give it charactrer. A car just loses something that cant be replaced when it gets repainted.

I'm just going to school at Towson and when the semester is over, I will fly. I'm 56 and am not working right now. I want to be a writer of some kind. I'll sleep in the back on the way home. It would be nice to get a camper shell and all that other stuff I mentioned. .

Like I say, I want a decent, original paint truck. I'll go anywhere to get it. Know of one that I should be told about???? I'm all ears.

Roger

well, after my two cents... I would just say, do the brakes before you leave. maybe replace all 4 wheel cylinders... they're cheap.

plan of spending two days in Riverside going through the truck and taking it on short test drives before you get on the road. wouldn't hurt to take a head gasket set, timing set, water pump, alternator, all necessary tools; torque wrench ect...

If the truck had been daily driven, i wouldn't worry so much. If this is the same red truck we're talking about, it's been sitting for a while. Things dry out and rot when cars sit. STRONGLY recommend getting it delivered or towing. (that could be an adventure in its own right!)

Looks to be in fair shape. Take for a drive to assess it. Do the brakes work, and at least adjust them and set the hand brake so you have back up. I've traveled cross country many times and the only time you use brakes is when getting gas/food or stopping for the night. If you use them more than this you are following too close and/or not anticipating slow downs far enough ahead of time. So as long as they work good, you should be fine, they won't wear out on the trip. If the fluid is discolored, I would replace the it and have the old stuff bled out. Bleed the clutch master and slave.

Check tires for air pressure damage, odd wear and enough tread to get you there. If one is down/flat get it fixed, don't just pump it up. Check the spare, the jack and lug wrench. Take them out and try them! They get rusty!

Check (change is better) the transmission and rear end oil. They will survive short trips when low but 15 hrs at highway speeds is murder on them.

Try to drive it several times with a cool down so you can check if the rad goes down. It should idle for long periods without overheating. Inspect all coolant hoses and fan belts and replace/adjust them. If they look fine you can always replace them on route if there is a problem. If in doubt... replace now. Maybe carry a correct fan belt rather than trying to find one on the side of the road. Have proper anti-freeze coolant in it. Take extra water in a jug.

Use a torque wrench and loosen each head bolt ONE AT A TIME and tighten to spec WITH COLD ENGINE.

Check and adjust valve clearance WITH HOT ENGINE.

Change fuel filter. Buy and carry a gallon of fresh oil now and carry it with you so you don't have to go looking for and finding overpriced stuff on the road.

Change oil AND FILTER.

Check/grease the wheel bearings.

Carry booster cables, duct tape, electrical tape, vice grips, knife, assorted screw drivers, a small ratchet set with at least the following sockets 8mm10mm12mm13mm14mm15mm17mm19mm. The same in spanners or hand wrenches. You should be able to change the fan belt or alternator.

You guys are real encoureging. The problem I have is buying that truck without original paint. repainted trucks just lose something. Whenever I have done this in the past, I have lost interest and sold them. Its like its a different truck when I paint it and I dont recognise it. If this truck was oem paint I would buy it withoug regret. I might keep looking. I would like to buy by December. I dont know if I will find a better truck than this one. I would probably have to pay more, but thats ok. I'm just looking for an original 521 in reasonable shape.

I contacted "jaybird" on the forum and his red(repainted) , restored 320 is still for sale for aobut $3k. WOW!!! Lots of oem paint Datsuns out there, still. Even this nice, nice 320 has the repaint problem as all other trucks, with me. I thought it might change with a ride as nice as this one, but I dont think I could buy it for the reapaint reason.