KA24DE 720 4x4?

MicroMachinery

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Micro, i was thinking about this some time back when i had that KADE and 85 4x4. Make sure its a truck KA so it has the oil pump like the L series and not built into the front cover, also you will need an oil pan off a KA hardbody 4x4 for front diff clearance.

Motor will bolt up to existing trans. You will probably need a higher output fuel pump, then wire in the couple of wires. Off you go. That was the information i received when asking around some time back.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've read, the ka24e truck engine has a rear sump, while the 240sx version has a front sump. If you swapped pans from a 240sx ka24e, don't forget that you would also have to swap the oil pickup tube.

I don't see why a 4x4 ka24e wouldn't go into a 2wd 720. Do a little snooping around here using the "search" function. People have done/are in the process of doing this swap.

Whatever motor you use it will have to be shaped to clear the front differential. The 720 and D-21s aren't identical but it's reasonable to assume that the KA pan from a 4X4 would likely clear a 720 4X4 diff.

It will take a lot more than a high output fuel pump to make this work. The KA is a fuel injected motor. The EFI wiring on the Hardbody is blended into the truck wire harness while the 240sx one is separate and easily removed. The 240sx intake is also better than the truck one. You need a high pressure fuel pump. Use an ECU from an automatic 240sx as this avoids the built in rev limiter on the standards.

Whatever motor you use it will have to be shaped to clear the front differential. The 720 and D-21s aren't identical but it's reasonable to assume that the KA pan from a 4X4 would likely clear a 720 4X4 diff.

It will take a lot more than a high output fuel pump to make this work. The KA is a fuel injected motor. The EFI wiring on the Hardbody is blended into the truck wire harness while the 240sx one is separate and easily removed. The 240sx intake is also better than the truck one. You need a high pressure fuel pump. Use an ECU from an automatic 240sx as this avoids the built in rev limiter on the standards.

Mike, an added bonus. He bought my 80 720 4x4 :D But i gave him an L20 4x4 oil pan for the 80, so it might work?