deucedime

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

which truck would you take it off of?

A good question. The stock rear end is an H-150. No trucks use this. The H-150 is only good for 125ft lb of torque.

The H-165 is good for just over 200 ft. lb. They can be found in the 610 goon and all 710s, A10s, S10s and early S110s. No LSD though. The first truck LSD option was in the D-21 with an H-190.Housing and axles would need shortening and conversion to 4 bolt.

If it was a bolt in everyone would have it. :D Welding is a dodgy maneuver for a street car. A locked diff will add understeer entering a corner and can unpredictably switch to major oversteer with no warning. Even worse in wet or poor traction conditions. A welded or locked diff is only good for going straight ahead like drag racing. It is favored by 'drifters' because it causes oversteer..... get it?

The H-165 rears will likely be wider than your 210. Perhaps a different back spacing set of rims on the back?

If it was a bolt in everyone would have it. :D Welding is a dodgy maneuver for a street car. A locked diff will add understeer entering a corner and can unpredictably switch to major oversteer with no warning. Even worse in wet or poor traction conditions. A welded or locked diff is only good for going straight ahead like drag racing. It is favored by 'drifters' because it causes oversteer..... get it?

The H-165 rears will likely be wider than your 210. Perhaps a different back spacing set of rims on the back?

Also a super quick way to kill wheel bearings and control arm bushings from low speed turning.

• 2 weeks later...

What's this "low speed turning" you speak of?

:P

Gas stations. LOL smooth concrete and sticky tires in gas stations kill bearings and rear end bushings... trust me I have a friend with a 240sx with a welded diff... he thinks its the best thing in the world for a street car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum.

I actually installed the motor and tranny into this car and have now aquired it from duecedime. (I actually have his 510 too so maybe I should take his screen name too... LOL!)

Anyway, I'll get some pics of the swap posted up when I get my old phone back from the guy who is borrowing it as it has most of the pics on it... I can try and answer any other questions you may have though.

Heres what I know:

The motor went in with only minor modifications to the engine mount towers. I used the stock KA mounts for both the engine and tranny. I also used the stock KA tranny crossmember, but had to cut one end of it off and modify it slightly. for the driveshaft I used the yokes from a 280ZX driveshaft and just had one built the right length. I had to cut the "splash gaurd" off the tranny yoke though... I clearanced the bell housing braces on the bottom of the block to clear the steering linkage slightly, but will have to cut a little more out as it hits whenever you turn the wheel hard. The hole in the tranny tunnel for the shifter had to be cut out about 4" as the SX tranny is longer than the stock 5speed. Luckily the Ebrake handle uses a cable instead of linkage and can easily me move back out of the way. I may have to shorten the handle slightly, but don't know just yet. I'm sure there were a few other minor things, but can't remeber off the top of my head. It's been a few months...

As for the suspension, I believe it is mostly stock at this point. Can't remeber if he cut the springs or used some from something else... Everything other than the srpings is bone stock at this point though. I think a few of the pics above are with no springs at all... I had to unbolt the front sway bar and will have to lower it some or find one from something else that will clear the engine. The rear diff is bone stock right now. not sure if it's going to hold up, but I plan on having fun finding out!!! I do plan to modify/upgrage the suspension after I get it rolling, but want to focus on making it a driver right now. I'll be doing some serious research, but plan to build a coil over set up of some sort... I'll keep you posted!

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions and I'll do my best to get an answer.

Thanks!

Richard

• 3 months later...

nice ride!

im looking into this swap for my 79 210 wagon.. what did you have to do to bolt it in? the wagon is auto, if that helps. just got the wagon and has a blown block and im trying to get it back on the road soon. any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.