• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 Cliff P

Cliff P

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Anyone out there have pictures of their exhaust system Just getting to the point of building one for our 510. Likely will be 2.25" SS tubing with pre-made mandril bends cut to suit. Would be nice to see some examples.

#42 josh_t

josh_t

• PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Cars:1977 Datsun B210 (Deluxe 4-Door)

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

What I have found works well to get a deep tone for 4 cylinder cars, is using a VERY long glasspack close to the engine, and a small muffler near the end of the car. A 24"+ long Thrush glasspack with a Borla or short(12ish inches) glasspack at the tailpipe works well. I know some of the non-baffled/louvered ricer mufflers that would normally be too loud and high pitched can be quieted and sound perfect with a long glasspack used as a resonator.

thats exactly what my exhaust is. right under the drivers seat is a glass pack almost 30" long, and at the back i have a fart can. a lot of people seem to like it. my parents dont mind it either, which is hard to do. and it has a pretty deep, mellow tone with none of that annoying raspiness/rattling sound when you let off of the gas. i cringe when i hear that sound on any engine.

Garage:

1977 Datsun B210 "Blueberry" 4-door Deluxe sedan A14, AT, A/C (in progress)

1976 Datsun B210 "Debbie, Lemon Drop, The Lemon, The Pee Stain, The Rust Bucket" 2-door Deluxe sedan A14, AT, ex-A/C SOLD 1/7/2014

1994 Jeep Cherokee "Heep, Eep, Janice" 4.0l I-6 5-speed 2-door 2WD

1997 Ford Ranger "Danger Ranger, The NEW Rust Bucket" 3.Slow V6 AT ext. cab, short bed

#43 btdub

btdub

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Cars:1969 Datsun 510 2DR

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

I notice most of the posts are for L series motors, when I had my 510 hooked up with dual SU's, headers and 2.25in piping out to an Apexi 3 inch universal muffler it sounded quite nice. It was rather loud, I could barely hold a conversation in the car but it had a deep throaty tone and performance wise I noticed a decrease in bottom end torque because of the decrease in restriction and an increase on the top end, albeit the change was rather subtle and I only noticed it because I daily drove the car.

I currently own a 510 w/ an SR swap, and I recently modified the muffler on that as well. It runs a 3in pipe from the turbo back. I was looking around and researching for turbo mufflers i.e. (Greddy, HKS, Apex, Tanabe) to replace the 4 inch magnaflow muffler that was on it. I went down to a local high performance shop to get some suggestions and they turned me onto a company I've never heard of before then. They recommended a company called "Burns Stainless" aka (Coastfab, who makes the mufflers that Burns restamps as theirs).

I looked into it and they supply ultralight stainless steel racing mufflers for custom applications. I decided to go with a 12in length, 5.5in OD w/ 4in inlet/outlet packed with their stainless steel scrubble for use with modded applications and for longevity as opposed to their bottom line fiberglass pack. (They also supply a stainless steel mesh for extreme racing applications). It ran me about 350.00 for the muffler and when I received it the quality of craftmanship and material is second to none these guys do great work, and their based out of Huntington Beach, CA. Each muffler is custom made and it really is a unique look as opposed to running something like an HKS etc. I recently installed it and as opposed to the magnaflow muffler that was previously on the car, it has a deep crisp sound. Surprisingly quite for a race muffler at idle (mostly due to the turbo) but on anything other than idle it gets loud very fast. The way the muffler is designed it comes as close to a straight pipe as you can get.

I haven't noticed a difference in performance, which I wasn't really expecting, I just really didn't like the sound of the magnaflow and I was looking for something more raw sounding. I will post pictures as soon as I can figure it out as well as a video if anyone is interested in this application for their exhaust system.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 josh_t

josh_t

• PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

i just want to hear it. lol

Garage:

1976 Datsun B210 "Debbie, Lemon Drop, The Lemon, The Pee Stain, The Rust Bucket" 2-door Deluxe sedan A14, AT, ex-A/C SOLD 1/7/2014

1997 Ford Ranger "Danger Ranger, The NEW Rust Bucket" 3.Slow V6 AT ext. cab, short bed

#45 btdub

btdub

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Cars:1969 Datsun 510 2DR

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

i just want to hear it. lol

I will work on getting a video of the sound up. I have to find the time and place, I can't really do it in my driveway because it may ruin my friendly relationship with my neighbors (if you know what I mean). They already thought my last 510 was loud enough haha.

#46 josh_t

josh_t

• PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

haha. i hear ya. (no pun intended) my parents say my car is loud when their bone stock jeep is twice as loud. it gets on my nerves sometimes.

Garage:

#47 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

That BIG can is for looks than actually lower decibel levels
Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#48 josh_t

josh_t

• PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

you'd be surprised how much quieter my BIG can is than just the glasspack alone. lol. i know i was. but yes it does look better to me than a rusty 1.5" tail pipe.

Garage:

#49 TENDRIL

TENDRIL

The Legend.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

runs a blue streak resonator and Cherry bomb Turbo 2 muffler and its nice and just a slightly deep tone but you can drive w/o yelling or dont get tone deaf on the Hiway.

so this is the best way to go for sound and performance, resonator and muffler tip?

Datsuns will 20 buck u to death

#50 albyneau

albyneau

• PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Cars:1972 521, 3 Chevy trucks, 2 corvairs, 2 Harleys, and....

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'm not sure where some of this quoted info originates from~ but a "turbo muffler" did not originate from turbine design. THE original turbo muffler was the premier performance muffler for over a decade, and was the only option for true performance. Along came the imitators by the drove, but nothing really changed in muffler design til an acquaintance of mine down in Santa Rosa started in his garage what is now known as FLOWMASTER~ but that's another story. So where did this mystery "turbo muffler" come from? The GM parts counter of course! Application~? The 1965-66 180hp turbocharged Corvair Corsa... And in all but the most robust of performance applications~ it's still my first choice!

Peace~
There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.

#51 Npdavies.

Npdavies.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Cars:1974 260z

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

Just wondering if anyone has used a Megan Racing muffler? and if they like it or not?

That's why we've contacted you. WE NEED YOUR BRAIN.

READY THE JAR! FETCH MY TONGS!

#52 Z-train

Z-train

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,194 posts
  • Cars:72 240Z, 1977 810 Wagon & a 620

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

A lot of people in this topic really need to read up on exhaust theory.

Posted Image
Dear God,
We'll give you Justin Beiber,if you'll give us Dio back.

#53 Spades

Spades

• PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Cars:'72 Z24 510 Wagon

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

there is more than backpressure at play, there is also exhaust velocity...read back a little at some of the info I posted before sticking a 3"+ exhaust on your mostly stock 4 banger.

I can't talk too much about oversized exhaust because my Naps is running dual exhaust...but I did it for sound and looks, and fully realise that I am loosing 5hp or so because of it (scavenging be danged!) :D

#54 WeirdKid

WeirdKid

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

From Spade's post
What I have found works well to get a deep tone for 4 cylinder cars, is using a VERY long glasspack close to the engine, and a small muffler near the end of the car. A 24"+ long Thrush glasspack with a Borla or short(12ish inches) glasspack at the tailpipe works well. I know some of the non-baffled/louvered ricer mufflers that would normally be too loud and high pitched can be quieted and sound perfect with a long glasspack used as a resonator.

i am very interested in this method, what brand of glasspack would you guys most strongly reccomend? my family has been using cherry bombs since before i was born, but i have heard a few negative comments about 'bomb's glasspacks

#55 Spades

Spades

• PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

cherry bombs are ok, they will be quieter than the thrush or other straight through option, just keep in mind, they are slightly louvered, not as bad as some glasspacks, but they will not flow quite as well. That being said, they still flow quite well.

Most parts stores will let you see inside the box if you ask, if you see little louvers, grates, or other protrusions that stick into the exhaust expect it to be quieter, but not flow as well. Thrush and a few other brands use a wire screen or will use holes drilled into the center pipe. because there is nothing sticking into the path of the exhaust this reduces turbulence and increases exhaust escape velocity and reduces some back pressure.

Remember, if you get a 30ish inch straight through glasspack and it is still too loud, you can either use a exhaust turn out (a bend at the end of the pipe lowers volume, I think it is about 1.5 Db for a 45 degree turn down, if i remember correctly) or you can use a smaller high flow muffler on the end and not have to worry about the notorious high pitch fart sound.

#56 WeirdKid

WeirdKid

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

thats perfect! thanks!

#57 ls1710

ls1710

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cars:sunny,bluebirds,

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

i finished making these today for a c210
http://i234.photobuc...272057341_n.jpg

#58 a.d._510_n_ok

a.d._510_n_ok

The Head Cheese

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,375 posts
  • Cars:1980 Datsun 510 & 1964 Fairlane & 1955 Chevrolet 210

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

cherry bombs are ok, they will be quieter than the thrush or other straight through option, just keep in mind, they are slightly louvered, not as bad as some glasspacks, but they will not flow quite as well. That being said, they still flow quite well.

Most parts stores will let you see inside the box if you ask, if you see little louvers, grates, or other protrusions that stick into the exhaust expect it to be quieter, but not flow as well. Thrush and a few other brands use a wire screen or will use holes drilled into the center pipe. because there is nothing sticking into the path of the exhaust this reduces turbulence and increases exhaust escape velocity and reduces some back pressure.

Remember, if you get a 30ish inch straight through glasspack and it is still too loud, you can either use a exhaust turn out (a bend at the end of the pipe lowers volume, I think it is about 1.5 Db for a 45 degree turn down, if i remember correctly) or you can use a smaller high flow muffler on the end and not have to worry about the notorious high pitch fart sound.

spades, thanks for the tip. I went with a long thrush and a slightly wider pipe from cat to muffler.

Posted Image

the thing is actually pretty dang quiet now but only because the previous muffler had deteriorated pretty badly. I like the tone (or lack there of I guess!) but really like that the slimness of the Thrush lets everything be tucked up very close to the floorpan. I hate exhaust that can be seen hanging down under a car.

I did go for a small portion of a rice though:

Posted Image

a co-worker had the fartbox tip laying around and since it was free.......it's got a few scratches on it (the discoloration on top is actually a reflection of the black bumper edge though) but the shine overall is pretty slick!

I paid $29 for the Autozone off-the-shelf muffler and my guy charged me $50 for the new pipe, hangers, labor, etc so I have about $80 in an exhaust system that is new from the cat back.
Which one of you is a shaved man-baby, flat-billed wearin', mutha fucking Yankees fan?! - flatcat19

He's in frickin Oklahoma ,, how much farther away does he need to be? - bananahamuck

#59 Spades

Spades

• PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

In response to using fart cannons in the back, the only time I have a major issue with them is when people straight pipe back to them, it is hard to make anything sound good with a 4 inch fart can...I have heard V8 mustangs that were riced out with a fart can, and they sound bad...it is hard to make 8 cylinders sound that high pitched, but a ricer muffler does it with ease.

With that being said, all it takes to fix that is what you did, a glasspack in the middle of the car. It will deepen the tone and get rid of the rice sound...and the exhaust velocity will not be hurt too bad because it is at the end of the pipe.

So, if it works, go for it! Also, keep in mind you can expect that if this is a daily driver, in about 6 months or so some of the glasspacking will deteriorate. Not by a large amount, but enough to where it will get slightly louder. Also, on paper, a muffler or resonator by the cat will help increase efficiency, which would explain why I see more manufacturers placing resonators right after the cat.

#60 pl521sss

pl521sss

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • Cars:Too many Datsuns

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

I want to paint the factory exhaust manifold using POR 15.
Anybody have experience on these?
And which one will be preferred.
Or avoid it all together.

Posted Image Posted Image POR-15 Black Velvet Heat Resistant

Posted Image Posted Image POR 15 FACTORY MANIFOLD GRAY

Datsun 510 | 521 | 620 | 410

pl510sss-sig.jpg