Brainstorm Script Ideas

I'll be graduating in a year, and it's time to start coming up with script ideas for a 10 to 20 minute short film aka final thesis video project.

I have to pitch 3 to 5 concepts to a panel of 3 teachers the second or third week of April, and I want 2 or 3 of them datsun / rally car / auto x related.

I'd be shooting in summer / late fall, and I want to take advantage of the clear skies and warm weather. The car of choice is to be a Datsun 510. Car logistics do not really matter, it's more of an object than collectors item deal.

Concept 1:

A young man had grown up always wanting to rally or race and he comes across an elderly man selling a Datsun 510 for really cheap. It's shitty and doesn't run. The young man sees promise and a chance to live his dream. He purchases the car and works on it every possible moment he has. He finally gets it running, and his wife gives him an ultimatum - either her or the car. Naturally, the man tells his wife that this is something he has to do, and she leaves him. He's sadened, but keep working on it. Sanding, getting the body prepped for paint. He paints the car in his garage and it comes out terrific.

He takes it to open track days at a local raceway and lives his dream. Ultimately he gets the chance to drive in a real race at the raceway and when he wins or doesn't win, his wife is there in the pit waiting for him.

It's a coming of age tale. Going for happy and motivational. I also like the Idea, because it is different from other student films. It's not particulary depressing, but does have its ups and downs. It tells of an adventure and bond between man and machine.

So post up any ideas you have for a script revolving around Datsuns and their owners love of the road, track, etc. Also, any stories you've come across, any tid-bits you found remotely interesting, or ways to change the concepts and make them better.

If one of the concepts is GREEN LIT by the teachers, then I will begin pre-production. I welcome all of your advice, input, collaboration, stories, etc. The short will be shot primarily in the Portland area, with room to travel as far as Seattle. It is a student film, and thus is low budget, but certainly not NO budget. I plan to purchase a running 510 soon and use that as the main prop.

Thank you for your time. I am indebted to all of your knowledge, advice, and understanding.

Brian Lukrich

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to go with a VIBRANT color scheme, but keep it really grainy and dull at the same time. Like in the old car ads, the cars were vibrant colors, but the film used gave it that dull appearance. I'll be shooting on digital though, but there are filters out there... :cool:

Dude sounds like its going to be a bad ass video, do you have any videos on youtube?

I was at my GF parents house today and we found a old skate vid I made in video productions, if I figure out how to get it off VHS and onto my computer I will post it on Youtube and give you guys the link :D

All I have of worth on youtube is

little fake ad for coke. I've done alot of other stuff, mostly just projects for passing grades. I did the lighting for that coke and, and art direction / lighting for a commercial that will hopefully be on fox 12 in a month... For a class I'm just finishing now, there were 4 groups and each group had to create a 30 second spot for a real world client that delt with "underage drinking, parents, and the affect of alcohol on the brain of adolecents".

Yeah skate videos are sweet, but like zombie flicks, snowboarding videos, ninjas, etc they've all been done a million times; and while they're still cool, every professional in the video industry hates them, which is why video students and professionals don't do them unless they're getting paid or want to get laughed at. As am amateur it's awesome, because it exposes you to camera work, lighting, dealing with talent, locations, the law, etc etc.

I'm really hoping to be able to do a short that revolves around the world of cars. I'm looking forward to shooting when there is no rain :D :D

Dude you have a lot of vids, I feel the way about coke. I like the first one of your favorites to. Yeah extreme sports are overdone. Those vids have some classy effects, My video was analog, talk about a pain in the ass.

I don't drink either, much, but if I had to choose, probably the pepsi. Only because when I was a kid, I used to drink a lot of rum 'n coke, or rye 'n coke, or whatever 'n coke, get my drift? Well after barffing and spraying gallons of that shit out my nose, I found that after I grew up, for some reason I can't stand the smell of coke. Go figure.

I used to drink a lot of rum 'n coke

It was the smell of rum that turned me off, not the coke. I drink Dr. Pepper now. I also moved on to wishkey on the rocks, which is much more potent, but I still heart it more than rum.

Pepsi cola went to town.

Coca-cola shot him down.

Dr. Pepper fixed him up.

Now we all drink Seven Up!

haha.

And just to clarify, I only did the coke video, the user who submitted it is my frined, a director of photography. I just saw the commercial we did this term and it looks ight. I'll upload it to youtube in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I've developed my concept and I pitch it tuesday night, and then from there i have to write the script, and do all pre production as well as find funding and sponsors.

my concept is similar to the original except there is no wife, but the femme fatal will be a female mechanic for his team.