New to me Datsun 210 2dr sedan

New owner of a Datsun 210 two door sedan. Its a 1.2L, 4spd, base model car. Rubber floor mats and no arm rests. I doubt there is a single option on it. With being a two door sedan I wonder if it was cheapest trim of 210 sold. I was told it likely had a new clutch and needed a starter. I repaired the starter and it runs but looks like it in fact needs a clutch. Currently looking for one. RockAuto has some clutch kits for $70 which seems to be a good deal. The body is very solid - just a touch of rust on the rear arches.

5106160350_9ee8724e6d.jpg

Its a base car - you can tell by the rubber floor mats instead of carpets and the lack of arm rests on the seats. The dash has some cracks in it.

5105511101_a980fc2526.jpg

Cleaned out the trunk - pretty much rust free with just a hint of surface rust in the spare wheel well.

5105510325_2b5a146108.jpg

The rear seat was loose so I thought what the heck I'll clean it up a bit.

5105509487_85789d99ef.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How would I know the slave cylinder is bad?

Right now I can start it. If the clutch pedal is pressed then its ok. When I release it sounds like a rock grinder. Doesn't seem to drive at all.

Rock Grinder WHAT! :w00t: probably busted out Tranny.

Usually if you see Brake Fluid dripping out the Slave Cylinder thats when its bad.

Oh and if you want a Clutch go on Ebay. Thats where I bought mine for $35 :w00t: The whole kit Brand New.

The door panel sticker is unreadable :(

5106178913_6acf6ce3c9.jpg

I hope its not the tranny. Shifts nicely when off. Only made those awful noises in neutral with clutch off. I think the engine has come out to do the clutch anyway so I'll take a look and see what I find clutch wise. Thanks for the eBay hint - nothing on there now that is a screaming deal but I'll keep a look out.

No leaks from the slave ...

Got a few minor things done

Silly door buzzer had its sensor disconnected - must have loosened at some point. So it dinged all the time. Was driving me crazy. Had to remove the glove box to get at it. I fixed it then thought what the hell am I doing and disconnected the whole thing. No more bell ever!

5106177853_a278c38d19.jpg

Driver's door panel back on

5106178523_4a882e69cf.jpg

Did a quick initial clean on the engine way. Quite a difference already.

5105556030_49f0b1b006.jpg

5106179633_f5227668b2.jpg

Guest 510kamikazifreak

How would I know the slave cylinder is bad?

Right now I can start it. If the clutch pedal is pressed then its ok. When I release it sounds like a rock grinder. Doesn't seem to drive at all.

Sounds like a pooched clutch disc/pressure plate.

So I thought I'd see how the engine ran before putting a clutch into it. Well ... I'm not sure. It smoked like a bastard - its been sitting a while. Ran it for 5 mins (had to hold the clutch in) and it ran sweetly. Then suddendly stuttered like running out of gas and stalled. Odd. Check the new fuel filter and there was gas in it. Started it up again and it ran sweetly again. How odd. That and the smoke bothers me though.

Change the oil? I add "Engine Restore" on my cars that smoke.

Have you done any tune up ie. cap/rotor? Did you check the plugs and wires? These are all good things to do when reviving a car.

Especially the oil change!

The engines are fairly indestructible, but I have had problems with the old factory mechanical fuel pumps. I always change to electric fuel pump!

And nice car mang! It reminds me of mine when I first got it! :)

Silly door buzzer had its sensor disconnected - must have loosened at some point. So it dinged all the time. Was driving me crazy. Had to remove the glove box to get at it. I fixed it then thought what the hell am I doing and disconnected the whole thing. No more bell ever!

I did the same thing to my 210. I hated that dinger!

Yes - new. It was old stock that someone had. I suspect it was just taking up space for them. I assuming they properly described it and it fits I'm happy. The brand name was Daikin which I have no idea if its good or not.

anyone know if a Toyota 4AGE clutch alignment tool fits a 210? Long shot probably but otherwise I'll order one.

Its a base car - you can tell by the rubber floor mats instead of carpets and the lack of arm rests on the seats. The dash has some cracks in it.

5105511101_a980fc2526.jpg

That's what the dashboard on my '79 wagon is supposed to look like! :D

It may not ever look like that again...there's so much damage. :(

They Dont! They are closeout, made enough $ on the other ones they made and can liquidate the rest! Got my ball joints for the same price!

CLOSEOUT FTW

Yeah, the price goes down a lot when you get tired of something sitting on the shelf. Eventually, you have to replace it on the shelf with something that can make you a profit, but meanwhile you have to sell the old stuff and cut your losses.

Selling it at a loss is better than not selling it at all because you stuck to the MSRP and your customer base was a bunch of stingy Datsun owners! :)