z210 future project with pics

if you scroll down on the link below, you wil see my next project. any info on swapping in a vg30e is appreciated. i have done a ton of research so far on this swap so far from 510's dudes that have done it. comments or suggestions are a welcome.

but in a nutshell, heres the plan;

junkyard vg30e engine and tranny, from big brother z31

custom 240 z distributor with petronix ignition, basically cut the bottom half of a vg30 distributor and weld the top half of 240z dist. (i have done this a swap on some tractors using a gm hei)

tbi intake with carb adater using older smaller style chevy 2 barrel 5oocfm carb

mandrel bent exhaust system, 2 inch pipes collected to 2.5 inch all way back to fart can style exhaust

paint car white

rota rb wheels red with polished lip, 15x7 4mm offset front, 15 x 8 4mm offset front,

eventually, save money to get full mega squirt system and go to efi and put rear mounted turbo. i will be posting all of my spare stuff for sale soon too, just hollar if you need anything specific, i have almost two of everything. i bought the car and got a ton of extra parts to go with.

http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8449

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z31 fuel injection is pretty good and also has a nice 'stand-alone' wiring harness. You can remove just the fuel injection harness with MAF, distributor, and ECU attached and not have to hack up the rest of the car's harness. Just tap in power by the battery and add your own FI fuel pump on a relay. I would think keeping the factory fuel injection would be easier than going with a TBI from another car.

Good luck with the swap. I hope it fits.

the spring pad and perch alignment holes are about the size of a quarter and have a round taper on the circumference of the hole, (IF that makes sense), this size hole eleminates using all common types of lift blocks, since common lift blocks have the alignment hole the size dime.

• 1 month later...
if you scroll down on the link below, you wil see my next project. any info on swapping in a vg30e is appreciated. i have done a ton of research so far on this swap so far from 510's dudes that have done it. comments or suggestions are a welcome.

but in a nutshell, heres the plan;

junkyard vg30e engine and tranny, from big brother z31

custom 240 z distributor with petronix ignition, basically cut the bottom half of a vg30 distributor and weld the top half of 240z dist. (i have done this a swap on some tractors using a gm hei)

tbi intake with carb adater using older smaller style chevy 2 barrel 5oocfm carb

mandrel bent exhaust system, 2 inch pipes collected to 2.5 inch all way back to fart can style exhaust

paint car white

rota rb wheels red with polished lip, 15x7 4mm offset front, 15 x 8 4mm offset front,

eventually, save money to get full mega squirt system and go to efi and put rear mounted turbo. i will be posting all of my spare stuff for sale soon too, just hollar if you need anything specific, i have almost two of everything. i bought the car and got a ton of extra parts to go with.

http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8449

dude i love what you have done with the bumpers they look so much better then the stockers for the b210 way to go

the spring pad and perch alignment holes are about the size of a quarter and have a round taper on the circumference of the hole, (IF that makes sense), this size hole eleminates using all common types of lift blocks, since common lift blocks have the alignment hole the size dime.

I dont know about the tapered hole, but some years of toyota 2wd pu's (early 90's) used a centering hole that was about 3/4". And Bell Tech made lowering blocks for them if i remember correctly.

You could also custom build your own.

Good luck

Jason

z210, what kind of a Datsun do you have? I thought the Datsun B210 has a small pin locating the leaf springs, about the size of a dime. The Datsun 210 has coil spring all 'round.

If yours need a bigger locating hole, it's easy to drill the aluminum blocks out a bit?

Those bumpers are "Not Legal For Sale In USA":

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 215, "Exterior Protection," was initially effective on September 1, 1972, and imposed requirements which prohibited damage to specified safety-related components such as headlamps and fuel systems in a series of perpendicular barrier impacts, at 5 mph for front and 2.5 mph for rear bumper systems.
Details about the B-210: FMVSS

I wonder if it was a South American model? They had LHD Datsuns...

awesome bumpers, wish i had some. so i was wondering how it's coming along. i think you have convinced me on the vg30 for my 210 in the future. distant future, i want to use the a14 for awhile. but it's something to build in the garage. i'd like to know what you figure out while doing the swap. so did you install the blocks? what's the plan for the front? i was thinking of heating my springs, but i wasn't sure if that would work well.

hey charlie bucket,

well the plan for right now is to get the car going and registered. the car has been sitting for the past 15 years. i currently got the engine, gas tank, and brakes working perfectly again. i still need to get the tail lights working, and replace the clutch, to get it moving well under it's own power. i also decided to just white primer the car, tint windows, lower it, and flat black the wheels and save the money invested for the paint jog on the engine swap.

i will also be racing (with my 75 hp) this thing down the strip at battle of the imports in august here in bakersfield and show it off to all my import buddies.

but here's the new plan.

i wanted a vg30e (160 hp) since it was plentiful in the junkyard. i no longer want this engine. i have been going back and forth ever since. should i get the vg30de (222hp) or the ca18det (175 horse). so far the vg30de is winning. the complete swap from "j hot" is about 1500 bucks delivered to my house and is complete and their reputation is impecable. installing this engine will require a lot more work. first off, the steering will have to be converted and moved. the rear diff will come from a toyota truck, which can easily handle 200 hp (4:10 gears and already five lug). i will have to make a new engine cradle for sure.

i have to lose the brake power booster and master cylinder and use a willwood inverted twin master cylinder brake system @(300 bucks). the firewall will have to be massaged a little and the tranny tunnel will have to be cut and remade wider. i will also need new and bigger gas lines. heavily modify stock gas tank or just go fuel cell. probably the latter. all that and i still have not mentioned the front suspension which is another whole can of worms and then some. one more thing, i you stick to swapping in the vg30e, you can get away with doing a little less than what i have planned. the vg30e is about 23 inches at it's widest point. the vg30de is 26 inches at it's widest point. see the difference?

the ca18det will not need any of these modifications to fit. it will easily drop right in.

i will soon be lowering the car with rear blocks and cutting the coils. i'll post pics as soon as i start that mess. i know a lot of people don't do the cutting coils thing because it's considered kind of ghetto. but hey, too each is own.

well it's not like we can just buy coilovers of of ebay. i heard somewhere to use cut 240z coils. maybe they are shorter but have a better spring rate or something? i just want to have everything availble to turn it back completly stock if needed. peaple all the time are telling me about there's from high school, maybe one of these peaple will be rich and nostalgic!

so which will take the least modification? vg30e or ca18det? i have been considering sr or ka but i would rather do something a little different. vg30e would be the best seeing how i can buy one anywhere, or a whole car with one.

all swaps will require the same level of work to put in as far as wiring. the ca18det is the least amount of custom fabwork to swap in. notch the front engine cradle and drop it in with some custom motor mounts. also you can easily modify the stock ca18det tranny mount to work in the b210 tunnel. mad dat says that you have to heavily modify the tranny tunnel to get the ca tranny to go in. i have talked to a lot of aussie dudes that have done the swap and said that this was not necessarily true, although some "massaging" will be required. the ca swap will let you retain the use of your stock brakes and steering. fully dressed, the ca will add about 90 pounds to the nose of the car, which is really nothing. To test this theory, have a kid or somebody that weighs 90 pounds stand on the front bumper and see how much it will lower your car. then move the battery to the rear and see the difference. it's a negligible amount if that. the one major drawback for the swap is that the parts are readily available. the vg30e, on the other hand, is plentiful at all junkyards. an ecu goes bad? twenty bucks on half off day at pick a part. an ecu goes bad on the ca and good luck finding a cheap one. the same applies to all the sensors.

the vg30e will require a little more to swap in. it's possible to retain the stock steering with this swap, but i'm not entirely sure. the b210s are very similar to the 510's but i believe the b210's are slightly narrower than the dimes. also, the firewall and tranny tunnel might need a little more to get it to fit. the best way to start your project is to get as much info from dudes that have done the vg30e swap to a 510. have you checked out

experimental engineering vg30.com i think, these guys are experts at the vg30e to 510 swap.

hey thanks for posting those pics, maybe i'll post some pics of my one ton big block waggy.. i see you have a jeep as your avatar. you a jeep lover too?

one thing i love about my little datsun is it's total sleeper status and how unknown it really is. anybody that pulls up next to it will automatically assume that you are going to hand them your ass at the next light. now imagine this thing with 222hp power under the hood? and now imagine the face of some dip shit in a cobalt ss or a "sooped" up civic when you get to the next light first. man i can't wait! i eat and sleep thinking about the possibilities and potential that these cars have.

Not usually. But you can buy them any day of the week here in USA. They are readily available for Datsun 1200.

so 1200 coils will work on the b210 pretty easily? i forget how interchangable the 2 cars are.

edit-i guess a proper worded search can find anything. any thoughts on this product? it says you would need to weld during install. what would need welding?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=61/CA=93