NEW ART! 1959 Custom Datsun Sedan

Well this not exactly a '59. It has elements of a '55-'59. Things get a little foggy back then. I think the fender-mount blinkers are a 55. Not sure about the grill, (I was looking at alot of different sources) but it is a bit different than a '59 grill. Also not all of them had the blinkers under the headlights, depends on year. And added the rear side marker.

I shaved the back door and welded it flush so I could run some recessed sidepipes.

Beebani's Stainless steel ratsun marker is mounted behind the back window! I was thinking of a hearse, and the scroll-like metal thing they have on the pannel. I would use spacers to mount is 1/2 inch off, as if it were floating. A link to the Rat:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2074

Peep mirrors felt right, and a NISMO sticker for the door!

I love the fenders on this model, nicely flared from the factory!

What-ch guys think?

datsun-210finishSmall-1.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DUDE!!!! I love it!! Only 10 more and we can have a Ratsun calendar :D Your skills are insane. The details are amazing too, I didn't notice the Nismo sticker until I read your post. Holly saw it though! I guess artists notice that kind of thing. Converting it to a 2 door is a great idea. I think I may actually do that :D

Edit: I checked out your page, WOW.... pure amazing.

I would want it as a T shirt. I like how you kept the stock 6 lug. I was gonna put peep mirrors on mine, but the doors don't have the lip on the door to mount it. And you can't just drill through the top because it would interfere with the window channel. Those mirrors are now going on the future project 21 Dodge. I'm thinkin of Datsun power in it....

Next you gotta do a SPL212 roadster. They are so sweet.

I would want it as a T shirt. I like how you kept the stock 6 lug. I was gonna put peep mirrors on mine, but the doors don't have the lip on the door to mount it. And you can't just drill through the top because it would interfere with the window channel. Those mirrors are now going on the future project 21 Dodge. I'm thinkin of Datsun power in it....

Next you gotta do a SPL212 roadster. They are so sweet.

Thanks guys. Jeff a calendar is a great idea! Might take me a while to get enough art, but I will give it a shot.

Purple, great to know about the problem with peep mirrors! Good to know. I had no idea. I would have gone with fender mirrors, but I loved those blinkers (I want a set for my 521!) and thought it would be too much to put mirrors down there too.

Rock!

Too cool! :cool::cool:

d' I hear somebody say T-shirts? :)

Tee-shirts are being discussed, and most of the profits go back into Ratsun, so you'd be supporting the community. (And I do plan on doing more models when I can fit them in. 510, 521, 620, roadster, etc.)

I'd like to look into ink jet transfers and see where they are at fade resistance wise, as we will lose ALOT of detail if we go silk screen, costs will keep us to one color or so.

I know inkjets can print on dark fabrics now too, so that is a plus.

With inkjet it really depends on the way the transfer is done and the inks used in the inkjet printer. I have access to wide format UV inkjet printing but the transfers I did a few years ago did not last long in the wash.

Thermal printing would most likely be the way to go. Better image quality and longevity and much easier for transfers...

Put me down for a calender and a 620 t-shirt :D

fisch,

dude you gotta do a 510 wagon.

I agree :D:D:D

you could charge people to do renderings of there cars for a few hundred bucks and get stuff for your 521....Hmm draw a Datsun to build a Datsun sounds good to me. You would make a fortune off of me 2 510 a 620 and a 521. just a thought :D

I agree :D:D:D

you could charge people to do renderings of there cars for a few hundred bucks and get stuff for your 521....Hmm draw a Datsun to build a Datsun sounds good to me. You would make a fortune off of me 2 510 a 620 and a 521. just a thought :D

Same here.

1 510 wagon

1 521 truck

2 z cars

That is a pretty cool thought for sure! The tough part would be fitting it into my schedule. Most of my clients are big publishers or computer game companies that have some pretty deep pockets, so i'd have fit the datto drawings in between those gigs. Though right now I'd much rather be drawing Dattos! But my accountant (AKA wife) might not agree.

But if a find a spot I will definately give y'all a shout, and see if you're up for one, or two or three! It seems to only take a couple of days for me to do one. And you rock for even thinking up the idea guys. I know how much you love your cars/trucks, so it means alot you think my art can do them some justice.

I think I am gonna draw Jeff's (Icehouse) 510 next to get a 510 under my belt.

Those are so badass man, way impressed. Hey how bout a 610 wagon! Everybody wants a 610 so that would be way cool! Lowered with a big ol bugcatcher, one of those ones with the 3 butterfly's but with only like half of it sticking out the hood. . A solid color like blue or a green. 4 of those side vent type deals like the old buick's used to have. Yeah that would be sweet.

what about this idea, draw some templates like the 510, 510 wagon, 620, 520, ect just as cleaned up line drawings and let people color their own cars?

maybe in 2 parts, the body and the wheels seperately. not even this complex maybe maybe just a side view, not 3/4.

it would be fun for people who might not want their car drawn but would like a model to play with color options and stuff.

and then it might be useful for you because you would have an example for people to use as blank slate to make an example when the time comes to charge people. it could speed up your creative process and the idea in their head and your final product would be closer for it.

I think VRT hit it right on the head... Fisch, if you were willing to make up some blanks then messing around with colours and styles and all would be a hell of a lot easier... but, then again, these are your pictures, so it's pretty understandable if you'd like to stick to doing your own...

That is a pretty sick ride though... I don't think I've ever seen the 50's Datto's, but it reminds me of an oversized Austin Mini... And those blinkers are awesome.

First off AMAZING work! Wow. I wish I had those kid of skills. What are you using to create them. I would assume adobe Photoshop and an artists pad thing (Forget what they are called)

And second, I am not sure if this is what the two guys above me are looking for but these are some outlines I did a while ago of the trucks. I guess I have pleanty of time on my hands to play around some more.

64d091f1.jpg

8bae700e.jpg

8958979c.jpg

I have these saved as gimp files so they can be edited using the free software GIMP

Great outlines Spiff! Perfect for the Ratsun community. Rock the hell out!

I use mainly photoshop now a days though I used to use Painter too, but haven't for a few years. Yup and I use a Wacom Intuous tablet too. I've been thinking about a Cintiq, which is where you actually get to draw on the screen! But I am almost scared that when I go there I will never have a reason to touch a real pencil again! And I do like real tools too! Ball point pens are a favorite of mine.

Here is a piece I did for a book that is coming out this summer called Animals Anonymous (Simon and Schuster). The drawing is all ballpoint pen, but I added the lined notbook virtually, so the whole book will look like a ragged notebook that fell out of someones backpack.

So what you are looking at is exactly how the book will print.

2P_ANIMALS_ANON_INT2-25.jpg

That book is completely awesome! Love it!

Thanks! There will be like 50 drawings like this one in it! I even made the cover look like a real notebook. The spiral binding will be the spine of the book.

AAFinishedCover.jpg