Traded an old goon for a 520..

fryanbacon

So I had an old goon that was mostly stripped and I traded it to a friend of mine for his 520 which just lacked a motor, grille and bumpers. otherwise complete.

My wife actually likes this more than my 521. My 12 year old daughter has her eye on my 521 anyway, so I'm sure I won't be able to keep it much longer so I'll need a truck. My truck is on the right. the 320 belongs to one of the guys in my car club

0430101915.jpg

anybody hear of putting a roadster 1600 motor into one of these?

I saw that the 411's would come with the A13 standard but the 1600 roadster motor in an SSS. could this be an indicator that it would work?

any thoughts would be awesome

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The roadster engine was such a tight fit in the 411 SSS that they ran the exhaust through the fenderwell!

But if you have no engine in the truck, and a spare roadster one, I say jam it in there! Or at least get a hoist and see how it looks in there!

Finding a J13 (would be stock) or a J15(forklift) now a days isn't very easy. BUT those engines were a copy of the British MGB engine (the B-series) and I have been dying to see if someone could take a MGB 1800 5 bearing main engine and bolt it right into a J, E, or C equipped Datsun. It literally might be a bolt in affair! (British guys use to take the J heads and bolt them on their B blocks.)

So I had an old goon that was mostly stripped and I traded it to a friend of mine for his 520 which just lacked a motor, grille and bumpers. otherwise complete.

My wife actually likes this more than my 521. My 12 year old daughter has her eye on my 521 anyway, so I'm sure I won't be able to keep it much longer so I'll need a truck. My truck is on the right. the 320 belongs to one of the guys in my car club

0430101915.jpg

anybody hear of putting a roadster 1600 motor into one of these?

I saw that the 411's would come with the A13 standard but the 1600 roadster motor in an SSS. could this be an indicator that it would work?

any thoughts would be awesome

hey bryan!!

heres a pic of a 521 with a roadster engine, looks like a tight fit at the firewall.

IMG_4747.jpg

the 520's I believe have a shorter front clip, so thats even going to make it a little more tighter.

hmmm.. thanks for the input mang! yeah that looks pretty tight. I wonder if you could win an inch or two with a thinner radiator.. well I'm going to have to try! haha

The roadster engine was such a tight fit in the 411 SSS that they ran the exhaust through the fenderwell!

But if you have no engine in the truck, and a spare roadster one, I say jam it in there! Or at least get a hoist and see how it looks in there!

Finding a J13 (would be stock) or a J15(forklift) now a days isn't very easy. BUT those engines were a copy of the British MGB engine (the B-series) and I have been dying to see if someone could take a MGB 1800 5 bearing main engine and bolt it right into a J, E, or C equipped Datsun. It literally might be a bolt in affair! (British guys use to take the J heads and bolt them on their B blocks.)

yeah maybe I'll just have to see how the 1600 looks in it. I knew it would be tight with as long as it is. I don't have any MGB motors lying around.. haha that WOULD be cool

The 520 is 5" shorter between firewall & radiator support frame. I am in the process of doing a L20B swap in a 66 520 at the moment.

Check out my build thread for the problems when installing a L20B in a 520. Also my solutions for the problems as I have addressed them. :D

The 520 is 5" shorter between firewall & radiator support frame. I am in the process of doing a L20B swap in a 66 520 at the moment.

Check out my build thread for the problems when installing a L20B in a 520. Also my solutions for the problems as I have addressed them. :D

OK.. so I guess I won't be putting the roadster 1600 in.... :'(

your alfeady missing a motor at least get the cherry picker and lower the 1600 in there to whats up no harm in that

true. I was kinda thinking that it still could fit if I did like a rabbit radiator with a slim electric fan setup.. looking at the 521 pic, there's still some room between it and the front core-support. it could be snug, but cool!

there was as guy on here that had a 520 that had a roaster engine in it.

it can be done... shouldnt be hard at all.

you right about using a small efficient radiator tho... save some space and have modern cooling capabilities.

Word to the Idahomie!