gear ratio for 720

nissan720

My 85 720 tag says  - F4W71B CA46 . It also says that it originally came with engine Z22. But the previous owner swapped a z24 with 5 speed into it. I'm looking at getting some 30x9.5x15 tires on 15x7 wheels. So from what I'm reading here this should be a good combo. Now the only concern is how badly will it rub?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '85 never came with a Z22 only Z24 and diesel. There were no F4W71B 4 speeds after '82. That tag can't be from an '85. Maybe the cab was swapped? There is a 'car number' stamped onto the top of the frame just forward of the right side engine mount behind the alternator. Use a wire brush... It should match the car number on the engine tag.

CA46. The later (after '82) 720 4x4 did switch to the C-200 differential. 46 would be 4.625 ratio but the 720 only used 4.11. 

Post a picture of the tag?

29" is the understood limit for the 720 4x4 and it will rub slightly on bumps. Twenty-nine inch is about 3" larger than stock.

That's interesting, I own an import 85 Krew Kab 720. They must have been using older parts on the newer vehicles during manufacturing. I double checked all the numbers and they all match (tag next to hood hinge, vin on frame, vin on door). There is a "Bureau of Automotive Repair" tag on the door that says engine size "2.4L" year 85. But from the quick research I did, this tag is a proof of emissions tag which is added after an engine repair/swap not by the manufacturer. My guess is after the engine swap, they had to take it in to prove that all emissions equipment was still intact. Either way, it would be good to confirm that the gear ratio is what it says on the tag. The full engine code on the hood hinge tag is - Z22 (S) 2187 - 

Well if it's from 'out of town' anything is possible. The early Australian 720 used an L18 engine that we only used in the '74 620 and 710. The 610 used the L18 the previous year. 

46 is code for 4.625 ratio.

Lift one rear wheel and place in neutral. Have someone count the driveshaft turns while you spin the raised wheel two (2) complete turns. If it turns just over 4 1/2 times consider it confirmed.

On 4/4/2023 at 4:42 PM, datzenmike said:

Well if it's from 'out of town' anything is possible. The early Australian 720 used an L18 engine that we only used in the '74 620 and 710. The 610 used the L18 the previous year. 

46 is code for 4.625 ratio.

Lift one rear wheel and place in neutral. Have someone count the driveshaft turns while you spin the raised wheel two (2) complete turns. If it turns just over 4 1/2 times consider it confirmed.

Confirmed. It turned about 2 1/4 first turn and about 2 1/4 second turn. I found an 86 Krew Kab picture online and the owner commented underneath that his truck had a z22 and that it was original to the truck.

• Like 1