gear ratio for 720

nissan720

what is the rear end gear ratio for a stock 1984 nissan 720 with a five speed tranny?i want to change mine to get off the line better.what is recommended.details about the motor 9:01 compression,weber 32/36 carb,competition cam,pacesetter header,magna flow exhaust,msd ignition,tirs size 225 55 16 on centerline rims.standard cab

• Like 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the rear end gear ratio for a stock 1984 nissan 720 with a five speed tranny?i want to change mine to get off the line better.what is recommended.details about the motor 9:01 compression,weber 32/36 carb,competition cam,pacesetter header,magna flow exhaust,msd ignition,tirs size 225 55 16 on centerline rims.standard cab

should say on the fender tag i think

• Like 1

Look on the inner pass side fender under the hood hinge. Near bottom left is TRANS/AXLE and across on far right it might say HF38. H is for solid axle with removable third member or banjo style, F I think is the ring gear size 190mm, 38 is the ratio 3.889. An HF41 would be 4.111, HF43 is 4.375 and so on.

720stuff060Large.jpg

The '84 720 gas and diesel came with H-190 3.364, 3.7, 3.889, and 4.375.

All 4X4s used the C-200 axle and 4.11 ratio. The C is for the Salisbury type differential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

Transmission.

F.... floor (shift) R would be remote (column) shift

S... Special over drive top gear. No S indicates top gear is direct drive.

5... number of forward gears

W.. Warner synchros. C= steel (competition) synchros

71... distance between main and counter shafts in mm.

B... Shifter type. There are A and C types.

This does not mean the FS5W71B is exclusively a 720 transmission. The 71B was also used on L, Z, SD, and CA series motors by changing the front care bolt patterns.

• Like 2

Wouldn't a 5.125 be too high. Your going to be shifting all the time because the rpms are gonna be redlining so fast. I think the best one would be the 4:1 or 4:3. That's what I'm gonna go with. Unless your just straight racing I guess that would be fine. My dad tried this so this is where I got my info from. And he had a '83 720. He raced but only the people who mattered back on Guam. Thats where I'm from. But sorry for the long talk just thought you should know why I say this. I plan on doing the same thing but run 44mm mikunis, headers, rear end and maybe a cam. Don't know yet. My dad didn't and he ran like 12-13sec.

• Like 2

Yes, that's the point. It accelerates faster, so shifts need to be done sooner. The question was how "to get off the line better". 5.1 will take off quicker, pull hills from a stop more easily, and haul heavy loads with less engine strain. But it comes with downsides on the top end.

For the 90% of us that want more leisurely driving, some middling gear ratio is more comfortable. Stay longer in each gear. It's all a tradeoff - quicker but noisier? Quieter but slower? More top speed but slow accleration? More acceleration but lower top speed? With the 5.1 gearing it will top out about 70 mph depending on tire diameter.

• Like 1

Define "good". Do you want faster acceleration? Or more leisurely cruising? Or something in between?

good gears for offroading but I want to still be able to get to 60-70mph on the highway.

Sealik not yet I will do that tomorrow and Ill post it on my emission post.

• Like 1

Taller tires are like overdrive, except they make the vehicle harder to get going in the first place. Datsun used 24 to 25" tall tires with the 5.1 gears.

Shift alot? Naw, just shift 3 times to get to 70 mph. Once more to reduce revs if you want to.

For rock-crawling you want the lowest gear possible. What kind of off-roading you plan on doing?

• Like 1

farmer joe yes I have a z24.

ggzilla Im planning mostly mudding and trail offroading not much rock crawling but being able to go up hills with ease would be good to.

And for the gearing could I look at gears from toyotas aftermarket wise? Like are the toyotas and nissan mostly interchangeable for parts (steering parts suspension gearing axle stuff)

• Like 1