S30 VG30ET swap

vgwagon

So I've been pretty busy recently with my fleet, I replaced a bunch of metal on my VG30 powered 69 Datsun 510 Wagon....well over a hundred hours right there. I also picked up 3 300zx's over the last 2 1/2 months and 2 of them were rusted out pieces of junk, but they ran at least. Basically scrapped 2 of those 300zx's in the last month to make one really nice 86 300ZX na2t. I recently finished swapping the interior to black and a bunch of minor things since then so now I get to just drive it.

Now on to the really neglected project.

73 240z. I've owned this car for 13+ years. It's been a shell for most of it's life, and slowly over the years I picked up various parts until I amassed 90% of the parts needed to complete it.

My goals for the car have been pretty set from the beginning. VG30ET

So for the last 2 weeks I've been on holiday's. The first week I did the black dash swap for the Z31 and some other little things.

This week I made the big decision and trailered the S30 into work.

First order of business was getting body panels bolted down and doors latched. Next was swapping in 88T front hubs to 5 lug the front of the car. Future plans to get Modern Motorsport rear stub axles and Z31 flange adapters to be able to run Z31 rear CV's.

The time finally came to mount the engine and transmission. After an exhaustive search for other VG30 swapped 240z's I gave up.

Only one still documented on the internet, ZR8ED on HybridZ but I didn't like his mounting setup.

BLOZ UP from here started to do one but never completed it and the pictures aren't up anymore but I liked his set up a little bit more.

Anyway I figured a way to mount the transmission that centered the shifter perfectly without cutting one mount and still utilize the stock mount and cross member.....with that out of the way I dropped the engine in from above and bolted it up to the trans. VG30 fits nicely in the bay with room to spare.

A couple wood blocks and an angle meter and the engine position was set. Next up is making engine mounts. Started with the passenger side. There is a little issue with alternator placement with where I want to put the mount so I came up with a solution. all thats left is the drivers side mount and it'll be fully installed. I will be building my own exhaust manifolds and relocating the turbo to clear the steering shaft but at least it's in.

Tomorrow I will be building the drivers side mount. Here are the pics so far.

dsc04109large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04120large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04114large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04117large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04126large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04130large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04132large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04136large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04137large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04138large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04139large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04146large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04148large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04150large-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04152large-0.jpg?rev=0

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Denis! - nice work! My current project is ONE way to mount a vg30et in a 510, but I'd also like to attempt it without building a new firewall and floor, so I'm interested to see your manifold design. There are difference in mounting a VG30et in a 510 versus an s30 for sure, but in either case, turbo relocation seems like it will be absolutely necessary.

Intakes (other than the 300zx plenum) are another thing to consider for the 510. 200sx manifold definitely helps to get the engine back (assuming the stock crossover exhaust pipe is gone) and I'd want maximum setback in the 510 for weight AND clearance reasons. What intake will you use in the s30. As you know, there are quite a few choices (factory) that fit the vg..all with different throttle body locations: def. a consideration when you're making the exhaust manifold and considering plumbing.

Staying internal wastegate?

I/C or no?

Cool idea on the s30- I've considered it for a while but haven't DONE it! So kudo's! I'd say if it weren't for the sr20det and the VQ's, we'd have seen more vg-et's in s30's by now!!!

I look forward to following your project.

BTW, do you have any links/pics from your na VG wagon build?

-J

Perfect chassis for that engine. Good job. With your motor mounts so far forward, I fear you may twist your driveline into a pretzel!

The mounts aren't far forward of the 240 location, nor far forward on the vg30block. Please expain more what twisting forces you are concerned about, because I don't see any reason for concern.

• 3 weeks later...

The mounts aren't far forward of the 240 location, nor far forward on the vg30block. Please expain more what twisting forces you are concerned about, because I don't see any reason for concern.

Stock engine is a straight 6, which puts the motor mounts in the middle of the engine, so the twisting force caused by torque is spread out over a larger area. Whereas, with the VG, and having the mounts ONLY in the front, the twisting force will tend to 'push' the engine sideways, which there puts MORE stress on the transmission mounts.

"Have you got it? Did ja get it? Now you've got it." :lol: sorry... sweeney todd is stuck in my head.

Denis! - nice work! My current project is ONE way to mount a vg30et in a 510, but I'd also like to attempt it without building a new firewall and floor, so I'm interested to see your manifold design. There are difference in mounting a VG30et in a 510 versus an s30 for sure, but in either case, turbo relocation seems like it will be absolutely necessary.

Intakes (other than the 300zx plenum) are another thing to consider for the 510. 200sx manifold definitely helps to get the engine back (assuming the stock crossover exhaust pipe is gone) and I'd want maximum setback in the 510 for weight AND clearance reasons. What intake will you use in the s30. As you know, there are quite a few choices (factory) that fit the vg..all with different throttle body locations: def. a consideration when you're making the exhaust manifold and considering plumbing.

Staying internal wastegate?

I/C or no?

Cool idea on the s30- I've considered it for a while but haven't DONE it! So kudo's! I'd say if it weren't for the sr20det and the VQ's, we'd have seen more vg-et's in s30's by now!!!

I look forward to following your project.

BTW, do you have any links/pics from your na VG wagon build?

-J

I'm going to run a 200sx intake, the one thats on the motor in the pictures already, I have a pathfinder (early and late) manifold, maxima single TB intake, or the stock intake.

There isn't room for the stock intake by the looks of it but the pathfinder and the maxima intakes should fit.

I will be intercooled at some point, and the wastegate will all depend on if I stay with the stock turbo or go a different route.

I used to have a web page for the wagon but I changed service providers and they don't support ftp uploads and home made HTML. So for now there isn't much.

RX7 LSD swap

I'll try to post some other links.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates.

Just getting pieces of the car, needed a stock dash/engine harness, and still waiting for modern-motorsports suspension and drivetrain stuff.

Motor mounts are done though. Next up is alternator, probably no updates until the new year.

Just getting pieces of the car, needed a stock dash/engine harness, and still waiting for modern-motorsports suspension and drivetrain stuff.

Motor mounts are done though. Next up is alternator, probably no updates until the new year.

Damn I'll be checkin for those.

• 2 months later...

Here is a picture of the fully mounted VG30et

dsc04166large-0.jpg?rev=0

Small update, suspension and drivetrain stuff only.

After a long wait I finally received my driveline and suspension parts from Modern-Motorsports.

I ordered the coilover sleeve and spring kit, billet aluminum front hubs in zero offset, billet rear stub axles, and billet rear CV adapter flanges.

I removed the old spring perches and installed the collar for the threaded sleeve to rest on.

Painted the strut and installed the parts.....can I mention how much I hate grease!

Here are the pics.

dsc04438medium-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04437medium-0.jpg?rev=0

dsc04442medium-0.jpg?rev=0

Well all-RIGHTY then! Nice work. Um, if you are "cuts metal like mad" you are apparently worried about the block flexing and "twisting your driveling into a pretzel" -but myself and the multitude of engineers who take the opportunity to use the engine block as a stressed member don't worry about that, and we focus on more pressing issues like fittment, clearance, and... PORGRESS! - very nice work on all counts, thanks for advancing the S30 VG experience!!

• 2 months later...