LZ24 build,some assembly required

datsunfish

I have been doing some work here and there on my LZ 24 build and the chain link issue has me concerned. I got the mercedes master links and have assembled it with 4 extra links but it seems a little sloppy. I went 3 and too tight,2 no deal at all.

It seems to me that 2 masters replacing 1 would set it all off a half a link. What I consider 1 link is 2 rollers where 1 gear tooth sits between. I want to be sure it will time in correctly before it goes in something. Heres some pics.

zdatchain2.jpg

zdatchain.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think with an open chamber u67 I should be in the mid to high 9.1s This is a mock assembly without a head gasket so that would make up a bit but its got a bit of slack to go.

See the chain tensioner rod? the old oil wear mark shows that its out way further. Had issues with the guides too. Had to bent the drivers side one to clear the head. Since its taller the angles make things intersect. No wonder people dont build this motor. haha

Its cool.any input is helpful.

"There is a shadow that lurks around us at all times. A person so knowledgeable and understanding. A man who will fight for the freedom for all to not use the search function. He is known only as...umm Datsunmike!?!"

Don't worry about how many links you use. Get it snug and the least amount of slack. There will always be the same number of links between the cam and the crank sprockets regardless of how many links used overall. Don't forget all the slack is on the chain tensioner side. The tight side will always be the same.

Z24 with open L head is 9.47 comp.

Don't worry about how many links you use. Get it snug and the least amount of slack. There will always be the same number of links between the cam and the crank sprockets regardless of how many links used overall. Don't forget all the slack is on the chain tensioner side. The tight side will always be the same.

Thats the stuff. That makes sense,Im over thinking the whole thing a bit but it does seem a little loose still. But my L16 runs killer with a slack happy chain. I have jumped teeth several times. Head shaved into the a87 stamp with no shims. I just dont want this one to rattle like it does though.

Thats the stuff. That makes sense,Im over thinking the whole thing a bit but it does seem a little loose still. But my L16 runs killer with a slack happy chain. I have jumped teeth several times. Head shaved into the a87 stamp with no shims. I just dont want this one to rattle like it does though.

I did one of these (it still runs!) I used a Felpro "head saver" copper shim and the Felpro head gasket on top of the shim with Copper Coat spray between them, also 2 cam tower shims, my chain was/is tight.

Are those pictures taken without a headgasket in place at all?? I bet that the thickness of the head gasket will take up the slack in the chain. Maybe lfit the head off the block and slid a thin peice of cardboard(cereal box) to to be the gasket Might take two layers to equal the gasket thickness. Just to see what happens to the chain. Dont want to ruin a new gasket.

lol... the other thing i though of was that adjustable timing chain tensioners that mounter in the inspection port of the front of the L head.

i remember seein one in an old magazine...

HA! edit

L6_Twin_Idler_Gear.jpg

I just nutted over that picture, that is awesome!! Wonder if those are still available?

I wish i could remember what i did to mine six years ago!! Luckily or (un-luckily) i didnt use the mercedes master links, with tons of datsun chains around i think i just took em apart and was able to use exactly the amount of links that made it tight. Like i said its been a long time. I do remember length of head bolts being an issue, the threads in the block were recessed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, while the design seems sound, that is awfully expensive. especially for what is probably a bunch of off the shelf parts with only a couple of plates being made to adapt it to the L series engines. I do like the fixed idler on the bottom but what I have a problem with is the way the adjustment is on the head. Obviously you have to be able to adjust the slack but with an aluminum head/iron block if your not careful the tension will be too tight on the chain causing premature wear on the cam tower or chain. (height grows with heat by x amount per degree, now mind you this is in extreme condition but still, leave it to someone to over tighten it cold and shits gonna go wrong.) Also, over time I'd be worried that the adjustment plate may work itself into a slack position because there will always be force trying to pull it away from center. Is that force strong enough to shift it? It may not move in reality but its just something I happen to notice. It may only need a lock bolt to make sure that over time, that adjusting plate don't slide back. (similar to the way some motorcycle chains are adjusted) I can't imagine the tensioner having that much affect on it due to drag but maybe.

Paul

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! NO EFFIN WAY AM I SPENDING 250 (!) bucks on a chuck of hex rod that cost 3 bucks and 2 heim joints at 10 each plus the cost of 2 stainless SHCS at 1.50 each and a spacer that probably cost him 5 bucks for a foot of the material.

Holy crap they're proud of it! :blink:

Incendently, I made one at work in about 20 minutes to keep the magneto from moving at speed on the Comp Eliminator car we ran out of the shop while I was there.

There's no way that's worth 250. Hell, the machine shop will probably charge you 40 or so to machine the hex rod, (mill the ends, drill and tap one left hand thread and one right hand thread) unless you work in a shop that has a lathe or access to one then it's free! :cool:

• 1 month later...

How many people would be interested in this? I can possibly get them made if there is a decent demand.

-Denk

lol... the other thing i though of was that adjustable timing chain tensioners that mounter in the inspection port of the front of the L head.

i remember seein one in an old magazine...

HA! edit

L6_Twin_Idler_Gear.jpg