1971 4 door 510

SpudWhitman

A couple weeks ago I picked up this dime called Wilma that 510-Trevor had in his safekeeping, so I'm way late to poisting phoitografs.

IMG_0266.jpg

I'm not sure why I forgot to take shots of the engine bay, but you probably all vaguely know what an L20B with dual sidedraft webers looks like anyhow. It's a bored and stroked example that has been mated to a roadster 5 speed with now a couple worn synchros. I need to aim the headlamps and fix an exhaust leak near the rear axle assembly for the car to be deemed roadworthy. The horn isn't working and the high beam indicator is on both when the low beams are on and when the high beams are on, so some grounds need checking, or something needs doing. I also have to adjust the carbs so they will maintain idle in order to give myself an easier time of driving it. Then I'll be able keep the use of heel-and-toe for downshifting at speed, rather than also during the ebb and flow of bumper to bumper traffic. Either that, or I really need to practice (and really need to install the rear bumper).

I regret to inform you all that she'll be sitting outside this winter, but that means Trevor will have more space for his projects, so in the end it's for the greater good. I recently washed, cleaned, glazed, and waxed the patina hood from Fred, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

All in all I'm quite pleased to finally be a Datsun owning Ratsun member.

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0263_crop.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks hobbes. The fenders may have been cut for rust repair or to fit a different air dam, I'm not certain. They're fibreglass, though, so that'll narrow it down a little for me. :rolleyes: I should check where the wheels sit at full lock. It's got an independent rear suspension and as such was a Canadian or maybe US market car when it was landed, pero ahora va de incógnito.

I think you're probably right 510freak, the car has some history.

I really am embarrassed by the fact that I didn't cover up the wheels when I did the $60 paint job, it'll look much better once James gets those cleaned up. I think the front fenders were clearanced for a Specialty Engineering spoiler.

Here is an old 510Realm FS post by one of the previous owners: http://the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3648&hilit=1971+510

And a pic of under the hood:

IMGP5543.jpg

And one of her prepped for paint:

wilmaprep-2.jpg

Please don't take this the wrong way, but where you suggest that it might be an Autopower roll bar I'd like to use your pictures to point out a couple things. This can apply to anyone's roll bar, so think of it as an educational session.

Take a look at the bends of the roll bar, the diameter of the tubing in the bend is reduced. It looks just like exhaust tubing or at a minimum an exhaust pipe bender was used to make the roll bar. Exhaust tubing is not structural tubing and shouldn't be used for a roll bar. If the tubing is structural tubing, the bends have compromised the tubing's strength. Good roll bars have the same tube diameter from the straight sections right thru the whole bend and do not shrink or crush as dramatically as the bends shown in these pictures. You will not see this kind of bend in an Autopower roll bar or anything that will be approved by a responsible race sanctioning body.

Not trying to slight your project, just trying to point out that the way your roll bar is made is more cosmetic than structural. Just an FYI that it will likely not pass tech inspection should you find yourself in a position where rules require a roll bar.

Dime Dave, I appreciate you pointing all of that out. I had my doubts about those bends, actually I considered them sketchy, and I posted the photos for full disclosure. Trevor would have jumped on me for my slip up had you not because he has an Autopower cage of his own which I have seen, but evidently didn't pay nearly enough attention to. I had no intention of passing this one off as an example of that brand's work, I simply didn't know and mentally picked a name from a hat.

And muck, 510-Trevor had all the adoption papers ready for me lickity split. It was a pain-free process.

Initially I was not aware that the the car was equipped with a rust preventative system. What kind, you ask? The speedometer cable is routed through the passenger side footwell, entering via the transmission tunnel and exiting out the firewall into the engine bay where it comes back around into the driver's side and to the gauge. The gauge, by the way, doesn't read steady, it saws up and down with I guess an average of the speed I'm traveling and makes a grinding noise as it does so. What's up with that? Anywhow, oil has been migrating into the floorpan area along the cable, so much so that when I initially cleaned out the car I thought someone had spilt a half a quart of oil on the carpet and that it had then gotten dirty over time. The driver's side floor is rusting and has a pinhole that lets water in when on the road. The front passenger floor, though, is clean as a whistle. Alas, the passenger side rocker is rotting as bad as the driver's side, so the system wasn't all encompassing.

Indubitably, Trevor.

I speak a little. Let me try. Hola, Romano Jr, ¿jaguar you? :P O sea, pues, actualmente hablo un poquito mejor que eso pero siempre hay que practicar. No es una camioneta gris ni una troca perrona, pero me parece bien chido mi Datsun. A mi me interesa la pintura tan brillante de tu 1600. Mis amigos se llaman a mi Pontiac el Mil Batallas pero no tengo un apodo para este 510. Tal vez es un cazahuate, no un cacahuate. ¿Como ves? ¿Como se refieres a tu carro?