Datsun Boat

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So kool to see these L powered boats popping up now. Steroid bought one last week & took it to the river run. It's got an L 20 & scoots along pretty good...

11kksj4.jpg

20asbvn.jpg

100_3565.jpg

100_3558.jpg

HYVD does yours also have an L 20 & your pix were taken along the Colorado correct ?

HVYD, I wish I'd known You were over here!! You are the first Ratsun member so far that has posted that they visited the River. I live in Bullhead City and if any of You are ever over here, please let Me know!!!

On the boat topic....... I am TOTALLY blown away and impressed with My purchase!! I had been following that boat for over a year and decided, after being shown at the Moreno Valley meet on an I phone, to go look at it on Monday. The family that had it listed on Craigs List was very cool and went over everything!! When it fired right up, that was the kicker. I have never owned a jet boat but been in a few and naturally on waverunners, which has given Me a basic understanding on what to do, and what NOT to do with a jet. My last boat was a 1974 Sanger V-drive flatbottom with a 390 Ford. I cut My teeth, so to speak, on the river with that boat. I never did in 3 summers ever ding the prop, so I am hopeful that I will never damage the jet on My new boat.

Performance wise, I am very impressed with the hull. It rides very nicely, even in busy parts or the river. The motor does all that an almost 55 year old owner needs it to do so it will stay with Me for the rest of My life. I do plan to try to kneeboard behind it soon and I was told that there should be enough power with the L-20 to pull a skier out of the water and up. I will know that answer by this time next year.

I plan to make only minor changes to the hull and engine, which will be one day dressed up. One thing that I cannot understand is after 35 years of usage, it only came with one rear cleat. I have never seen a boat without side cleats. You other guys with these, what do You have and where are they located? I really do not want to drill any holes but cleats MUST be installed somewhere.

It trailers nicely behind My xterra!! Launching was no problem with traction in pulling it out as light as it is. I am excited that I have finally found a boat that will give Me years of pleaseure as well as being a historic addition to My Datsun family!!

I encourage any of You to try to find one if You are into boating in any way.

Also, I wanted to touch briefly on the rear hatch. Am I the only one of Us on here that has one?? The other pictures that I have seen, except the above shot with the green astroturf added, is the only hatch I've seen. I did stop by with it on the way home to the factory that builds My fiberglass. I was picking up some airdams. Nick, the owner, has been into boats for years. He actually bought out and still builds the Skipjack line at His shop besides fiberglass accessories. I asked Him about making a mold for the hatch if any of You guys want one. It would be pricey, but He will do it. I would have to remove somehow the orange Datsun sticker for Him to make a blank from to build a mold, but He can do it. Or, if any of You have a hatch that is damaged but repairable, He can make a mold from it. Anyway, keep this in mind if You want an accurate hatch for Your boat. I don't know what temperature You are running, but Mine was around the 150 mark all weekend in 105 to 114 degree temperature outside with the hatch closed.

One last thing......... My hull number is: 181074. i am assuming that it was built in 1974 and was the 181st hull laid. Would this be correct? Do You guys mind sharing Your hull numbers to try to figure this out??

i have the hatch for mine and it is in great shape. the reason i took it off was because of the lack of a marine alternator and starter. if enough gasses build up under the hatch it can blow up! as for the haul number im not sure because mine is a 1976 and same on pink slip but hull number doesn't coincide with that.

by the way the company that built the jet is still in business out of italy and from what i can tell they still produce the same jet. i had my eye on the boat you bought and the price was way to rich for me. almost bought it and had the guy talked down to 1500 and as i was talking with the owner the one i have called me back out of the blue. went and looked at it and scored it for 500.

Great now we can add"Boater trash" to the list of names. :poke:

or flotsam & jetsam (not the cheezy band)

A boat is a fiberglass hole in the water that you pour money into.

and no matter how much money, it still leaks :rofl:

tis why its great to have friends or parents with them!

Two happiest days of a boat owners life,the day he buys it & the day he sells it.

Sorry i dont get your negativity here..jeez lighten up.

Two happiest days of a boat owners life,the day he buys it & the day he sells it.

Incorrect.......pretty much relative to what you know (of boats) and or what you buy.

I made pretty good money on my last 'fiberglass hole' purchase..... :P

Bought this for 900 bucks and sold it for 2600.... :cool:

This pic is after I cleaned it up a bit and installed some 720 KC rear seats.... :D

P4200174.jpg

P4200165.jpg