Stupid heater coil hose!! I need help!!

agamble

Basically my 78 620 was over heating. long story short it's the heater hose that runs to the heater coil. Now, I replaced the hose but it's still leaking in the cab when I take the radiator cap off. And like I'm sure that I have the hose on right and the clamp is as tight as I could. Any ideas? thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bypass the heater core = ( heater coil ) ! ( unless you need it for winter ? )

Take the hose that runs from the head , stick it to the block side ( bypass loop ) ,,, both of your heater core hoses from the firewall should be disconnected at this point ! Tight clamps , top off radiator , and keep rollin !

I had to do this only 1 time on the side of the road ,,, the rest were because I want to run the car until I can afford to buy one and put it in ! :lol:

Just bypass the heater core = ( heater coil ) ! ( unless you need it for winter ? )

Take the hose that runs from the head , stick it to the block side ( bypass loop ) ,,, both of your heater core hoses from the firewall should be disconnected at this point ! Tight clamps , top off radiator , and keep rollin !

I had to do this only 1 time on the side of the road ,,, the rest were because I want to run the car until I can afford to buy one and put it in ! :lol:

Um, that confuses me a little bit. all I was trying to do was like change the hose that runs from like by the engine trough the truck, if that makes sense. I'm not sure where the heater core is...

The heater core or the petcock could be leaking and it's not the new hose. Here's a link to a site where a 510 heater is taken apart and repaired. The 620 is different but with similar parts. This will give you an idea of what's what in there.

Heater Repair (for 510)

As DTP says you can just connect the two hoses in a loop. Drain the rad and loosen the long hose from the heater that goes to the front of the motor, pull it out through the fire wall and connect to the outlet on the back of the head. Now you can disconnect remove the heater and repair it properly, or replace it. Likely the air box will be full of leaves and stuff so this is a good time to clean it out.

My problem with connections at the firewall is this ,,, Those are sometimes very much "stuck" on their and heater core ends are sometimes right there on the otherside ( so when yanking on the hose ,,, you may finish off the brazed thin copper/crap metal connection by playing tug a war with it ! )

Run to the parts store ,,, get the correct size of length hose you need ( should be 5/8" internal diameter at $1 per foot or so ? But ask the parts guys for verification ;) )

Now the spare hose in your hot little hand ,,, I take a razor blade , and carefull ever so carefully cut the hose off ( to lessen the disturbing the heater core connections inside the cab ) use a pick or screwdriver to roll around the edge until loose enough to roll off ,,, replacement use a little vasoline on the inside hose end ( to the heater core ) and slip it on ever so carefully ,,, replace on engine side ,,, top off radiator coolant ( add the correct mixture NO STRAIGHT WATER <--- will ruin the engine )

is this close ?