1970 Plymouth Duster 5MGTE swap

Well the latest is I haven't done much with it. I am still waiting for my brackets to be laser cut and the aluminum air scoops to be welded. Neither have been done. I guess when you are waiting for favors. Paying customers are first in line. looks like I will be shaking Them down for my parts so I can start working on this again.

though i did find replacements for the "340" hood scoop emblems!!!!

1030102311.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i am making more progress.... a few more mods and the welding begins..

1116101620.jpg

1116101659.jpg

here is where i am looking for feed-back, my feelings will not be hurt. though i am looking to feed the top mounted intercooler, oil cooler and intake and radiator with as much air as possible. the chin spoiler will be made from 3/16" aluminum like the scoops. i really like the IMSA style front spoilers with a W-30 inspiration. i need to exhaust my options and idea reserves. i also have a different motor in the works its a 7MGTE that dyno'd at 430HP to the tires. its getting freshened up at the machine shop. this engine was a deal i could not pass up!1116101904.jpg

^the cardboard may not last too long, id try aluminum or fiberglass! :D

seriously though, have you thought of cutting the scoops into your front bumper?

might look better/be easier than adding them to the bottom and fabbing an air dam around them....

^the cardboard may not last too long, id try aluminum or fiberglass! :D

seriously though, have you thought of cutting the scoops into your front bumper?

might look better/be easier than adding them to the bottom and fabbing an air dam around them....

definately thought about that. its near impossible the way the bumpers mount. plus is at any time i needed to remove the scoops i could.

... i also have a different motor in the works its a 7MGTE that dyno'd at 430HP to the tires....

May have to change the title of your thread to read '7MGTE' swap... FTW! :fu:

I love your project, as an "Old School Hot Rodder" I agree with the majority, run what you have available. If you think it will be economical to drive though, I have my doubts. My mostly stock 2JZ-DTE gets 16mpg 1/2 city 1/2 highway, my 57 Chevy small block, solid lifter, single Holley, 4 speed gets 19 to 20mpg. The 2JZ is more fun to drive though, better handling + the boot in the back when the second turbo kicks in is a rush, but the 57 gets lots of thumbs ups, and when the secondaries kick in, and the 6000 rpm music starts playing through the Flowmasters, that's fun too! I guess that is why I have an eclectic fleet of cars, they all have their good points, and give different experiences when driving them. I hope your son appreciates the great experience you are sharing with him, I only wish I had a child to share my passion with. I will be following this build with great interest, as it is hot rodding at it's best. :D

well after hours of looking at front air dams. i saw a AMC Javelin that had the exact style i wanted. i had to bring the scoops closer together 3 inches and set them back further. getting crafty with the hot glue gun and some painted cardboard. this is what i got so far... my closest "go to" friend says yes so far. what are your opinions?

1126101045.jpg

1126101318.jpg

well after hours of looking at front air dams. i saw a AMC Javelin that had the exact style i wanted. i had to bring the scoops closer together 3 inches and set them back further. getting crafty with the hot glue gun and some painted cardboard. this is what i got so far... my closest "go to" friend says yes so far. what are your opinions?

1126101045.jpg

1126101318.jpg

Looks better now, but they don't look like they are pointing straight ahead, also I think they would look better if they were a little smaller in height, they look too big in comparison to the bumper imo. You are on the right track tho. :D

i am still mowing over different ideas for the ducting. i picked up some round ducting from home depot to start mocking things, though i haven't made it that far yet. Google

the Lamborghini Gallardo it has some big ass scoops!! i know, the Duster is no Lambo... its my reasoning for going big. lol

i am still mowing over different ideas for the ducting. i picked up some round ducting from home depot to start mocking things, though i haven't made it that far yet. Google

the Lamborghini Gallardo it has some big ass scoops!! i know, the Duster is no Lambo... its my reasoning for going big. lol

Go Big or Go Home...I wouldn't want to have the scoops get lost in the front, either. Proportionally, they are smaller than the bumper, but not overly sized. Run with it. If its so much air that it puts out the fire, then size it down, otherwise go for it.