1970 Plymouth Duster 5MGTE swap

well i have owned this car for 23 years and i have decided to can the 13.2:1 360 CI and 4 speed swap. obviously this engine i have is not that street worthy. the dollar is declining again to a gallon of gas in recent years. it would be wise to update the Duster with a more modern engine. Plus my Mopar purists friends will sh!t when all the 340/360 goodies i have are sold off and a Supra six is in its place

dusterbodyworkin11-17-07030.jpg

70fa034a.jpg

08240918222.jpg

i will be pulling the engine and trans from this truck. its a long story.....

Jan102009-VID00065-4.jpg

supra2-1.jpg

starting to mock, measure and size things up

f1e16a71.jpg

the money i save on not buying a camera will be going into my many car projects.

• Like 15
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am looking at 250-275 HP and still fuel efficient. i have the 5M engine as well. this will be a rather cheap swap. i have had dual quads tunnel rams 5.13 gears you name it in this car and i want a economical car that moves out well. the truck that this engine is in was fast, very fast! the car will be comparable in weight so i have little worries there. RB swaps are not in budget. i could go 7MGTE, though i have the 5M so its win win for the budget. the six cyl will lighten the front end nearly 300 lbs or more too. that is a plus.

• Like 1

WTF Y U WANNA RUIN A CLASSIC MOPAR MUSCLE CAR BY GOING TUNER? I WILL BE ON MY WAY 2 PICK UP DUSTER FROM U. I AM A MOPAR FREAK AND HAVE 4 CUDA'S HERE IN PHOENIX AND I DEFINITLY WILL NOT DO SOMETHING SO DRASTIC AS THAT. IF ANY CHANGES WILL BE DONE TO THEM WILL BE A MODERN HEMI SWAP OR 360/727 SWAP. SOMEONE HAS BEEN WATCHING FAST/FURIOUS TOKYO DRIFT TOO MUCH. YOU KNOW THAT THEY USED 5 MUSTANG FASTBACKS IN THAT MOVIE AND THE 1 THEY WERE RACING IN IT HAD A BUILT 302CI MOTOR IN IT.

• Like 3

WTF Y U WANNA RUIN A CLASSIC MOPAR MUSCLE CAR BY GOING TUNER? I WILL BE ON MY WAY 2 PICK UP DUSTER FROM U. I AM A MOPAR FREAK AND HAVE 4 CUDA'S HERE IN PHOENIX AND I DEFINITLY WILL NOT DO SOMETHING SO DRASTIC AS THAT. IF ANY CHANGES WILL BE DONE TO THEM WILL BE A MODERN HEMI SWAP OR 360/727 SWAP. SOMEONE HAS BEEN WATCHING FAST/FURIOUS TOKYO DRIFT TOO MUCH. YOU KNOW THAT THEY USED 5 MUSTANG FASTBACKS IN THAT MOVIE AND THE 1 THEY WERE RACING IN IT HAD A BUILT 302CI MOTOR IN IT.

I am sure he is expecting this sort of reaction. Where do you draw the line Gene? Only Mopar with mopar, Toyota with Toyota? Would you have gotten this upset if it were a 350 Chevy in a 32 ford? Or a Hemi?

Brand loyalty is cool, but he has this motor on hand. Knows this motor, and digs the looks of the Mopar. I don't think he is thinking of resale value. Just wants a cool car, which he has owned of 23 freakin years! (I've never owned a car that long.) And since he has owned it that long, I don't think he is thinking about Fast and Furious that much.

The old hot rodders mantra, "Take what you got and build what you want."

• Like 3

i like to keep things simple when it comes to cars. chevy needs to stay chevy- ford the same. mopar with mopar i have been wrenching on cars since i was 12 now that i am 42 that gives me 30 yrs of experience of keeping it simple. but hey there is nothing wrong with experimenting. i just like to see a mopar with a mopar power plant 340 engine to 6.1 liter hemi

LOL FISCH keep up with the good work on art

OK. i had this idea several years before the fisting feverishly movies came out. not to poke too much fun but you seem to know an awful-lot about Tokyo drift. lol. all of my mods are so-far designed to be bolt in. even if i pulled the 4 spd. out and went to a Kiesler 5 spd. id have to cut the tunnel still. i have a cheesy 318 and a race prepped 360. i am just tired of the V8 thing. i want something different. i can understand if i was to put a ford or a chevy motor in. i would be motivated to speak up too. though all bias's aside a Toyota 6 cyl. has superior power per C.I. i want my car to be smooth, efficient and unique to its own.

• Like 1

ITS ALL GOOD. IF U LOOK AT MY AVATAR U WOULD SEE WHAT I B ROLLIN IN FROM TIME TO TIME. I GOTTA KEEP UP WITH THE RICERS EVERY NOW N THEN. I HAD A SUPRA 87' WITH A 3.0L W/ TURBO IN IT TILL I WRECKED IT. I DO KNOW ALOT ABOUT TOYKO DRIFT CUZ I CONSTANTLY TALK WITH VIN DIESEL AND PAUL WALKER FROM TIME TO TIME AND THEY TELL ME THERE IS GOING TO BE A F/F5 AND F/F6 IN THE WORKS. I WAS THINKING OF DOING A MOTOR SWAP FROM A NISSAN ALTIMA IN MY 521 BUT NOT ENOUGH CLEARANCE IN ENGINE BAY. SO U WANNA GET RID OF V8'S I AM LOOKING FOR A FEW ENGINES FOR MY CUDA'S

ITS ALL GOOD. IF U LOOK AT MY AVATAR U WOULD SEE WHAT I B ROLLIN IN FROM TIME TO TIME. I GOTTA KEEP UP WITH THE RICERS EVERY NOW N THEN. I HAD A SUPRA 87' WITH A 3.0L W/ TURBO IN IT TILL I WRECKED IT. I DO KNOW ALOT ABOUT TOYKO DRIFT CUZ I CONSTANTLY TALK WITH VIN DIESEL AND PAUL WALKER FROM TIME TO TIME AND THEY TELL ME THERE IS GOING TO BE A F/F5 AND F/F6 IN THE WORKS. I WAS THINKING OF DOING A MOTOR SWAP FROM A NISSAN ALTIMA IN MY 521 BUT NOT ENOUGH CLEARANCE IN ENGINE BAY. SO U WANNA GET RID OF V8'S I AM LOOKING FOR A FEW ENGINES FOR MY CUDA'S

Cap locks...please.

well i have a set of 340 exhaust manifolds and 340 intake dated 1968. got a 3310 Holley w/choke horn removed. just recently sold my X heads and Victor 340 intake. my 360 block is Dated Feb of 1970 which is a prototype Chrysler block that is hi-nickle. it sonics good for .100". Mopar purple shaft cam .490 276 Dur. solid cam. i have 74 360 J heads 70cc's. this head and piston combo will make 10.8:1 comp. at minimum. "63cc's heads will make 13.2:1 fyi. i have an all cast-iron A body 4spd O.D. box. with a spare "B" body O.D. trans for parts. i have a steel SEMA approved 360 flywheel with a 8 pad clutch. also have a 318 block with flywheel too. put your money where your mouth is. lol.

Gene- i have a 74 Duster "racecar starter kit" here"No motor or trans.Know anyone that's looking for one?

Back to the topic- a 360 stroker(406?)would make the same power-easliy.And i think the weight difference is gonna be a lot less than 300lbs.

the shipping weight of a 2jz with trans is 600lbs. my engine and trans is about 900 lbs. i have a dyno-mometer scale that i will use to get the exact weight of both. i don't want a V8 anymore. 450hp 370 C.I. just isn't appealing these days. just the Keisler 5 spd. transmission swap is nearly $4000 last i checked. the 5MGTE has a w58 5 spd. can get them all day long at pick a part.

• Like 1

SBM with iron heads is only 575lbs,Add 150lb for an 833.I'm just saying the weight savings isn't going to be there.

i feel you are horribly mistaken. (5mgte head 75 lbs,intake 23 lbs, turbo 43lbs) = 141 lbs for the top end

(360 heads 128 lbs, intake & carb 65 lbs, exhaust man 27 lbs.)= 220 lbs

w58 trans and bell housing = 80 lbs

a833 trans you say = 150 lbs "box and bell housing" i agree "no clutch or flywheel"

5mgte trans and top end = 221 lbs

360 trans and top end = 370 lbs

so we learned the 5MGTE is so far 150 lbs lighter. i still have to weigh the blocks and flywheels water pumps and timing covers etc. remember this is a 2.8 liter engine and the 360 is a 6.0 liter.....so you saying there is no significant weight loss. i beg to differ 300 lbs is my estimate, and we are half way there.... i don't like to be doubted, when i do my homework and know a thing or two...

i don't understand your logic my friend. and i never will, sadly its out of touch with reality. i will get the full weight of both and post it so if i have to eat crow i will. just between the trans and the top end of the motor its 150 lbs lighter. still have to weigh the block and everything that mounts to it. all the Mopar stuff if huge and heavy. Toyota is compact and light.

when its stated the small block mopar weight 525 lbs. its the long block only, not the intake, dist, alt, starter, water pump etc. the A833 weighing about 150 lbs, not including the flywheel or clutch assy. where is your logic? i suggest you do some research before you tell everyone they are wrong....

I, for one, think this is a cool project. It's your car and you should be able to enjoy it any way you please. Besides, (and please take this in the spirit intended) we're talking about a Duster here - not an AAR or a Superbird. No one can dispute the potential the Toyota has. Weight savings is one thing but the new engine will also be more in the center, taking weight off the front corners. Now you might be able to make a Duster go around corners too :D . Any plans for suspension or braking upgrades? Keep us posted.

1)150 is a LONG way from 300.

2)see above

3)Tough.

There you go again. Read what he said Mr. Know-It-All: "so we learned the 5MGTE is so far 150 lbs lighter. i still have to weigh the blocks and flywheels water pumps and timing covers etc. remember this is a 2.8 liter engine and the 360 is a 6.0 liter.....so you saying there is no significant weight loss. i beg to differ 300 lbs is my estimate, and we are half way there..."

You do not know as much as you think you do.

• Like 1

I, for one, think this is a cool project. It's your car and you should be able to enjoy it any way you please. Besides, (and please take this in the spirit intended) we're talking about a Duster here - not an AAR or a Superbird. No one can dispute the potential the Toyota has. Weight savings is one thing but the new engine will also be more in the center, taking weight off the front corners. Now you might be able to make a Duster go around corners too :D . Any plans for suspension or braking upgrades? Keep us posted.

well the susp. is pretty good for a mopar, i'd say it handles like a 78 Camaro. for those of you familiar with mopar susp. its upgraded. heavy torsion bars and super stock rear leafs and sway bars with kyb's.

11 x 2.5 rear drums and late model disc's up front. no Wildwoods or Brembo's darn!!! but it works

i don't understand your logic my friend. and i never will, sadly its out of touch with reality. i will get the full weight of both and post it so if i have to eat crow i will. just between the trans and the top end of the motor its 150 lbs lighter. still have to weigh the block and everything that mounts to it. all the Mopar stuff if huge and heavy. Toyota is compact and light.

when its stated the small block mopar weight 525 lbs. its the long block only, not the intake, dist, alt, starter, water pump etc. the A833 weighing about 150 lbs, not including the flywheel or clutch assy. where is your logic? i suggest you do some research before you tell everyone they are wrong....

I've been doing my research for the past 40 years.

I've been doing my research for the past 40 years.

I am cleaning up a bit on this thread guys, so I removed some comments. Lets wait and see what the final weight is, you guys have me curious now! :D