Waterpump/fan clutch HELL

Moedatto

I must say and I dont say it often but Nissan FUCKED UP!! the water pump fan clutch cambo has been getting on my last goddamn good nerve for some time now.. I will NOT pay what all these auto part stores around here want ($65+) just because the fan clutch is junk! what can I do? I would rather not go electric but Im open to any and all ideas because my truck sounds like a shop vac:( will an L seris six setup work? they have a water pump with a bolt on fanclutch.. or will I not have enough room? i know it is a lil longer but I also have about 1.5-2 or so inches till I would call it close to the rad.. LEMME KNOW!!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could get a regular water pump but then you need to get the pully and fan for it and hope the alignment is correct also. Unless you have all these parts on hand the 65$ pump is a EZ(cheap) solution than buying a new car.

65 $ is the going price for a fanclutch waterpump.maybe even cheaper

If you lived close by i would give you one as I have one on the wall. I dont know if its a truck or car one as they have 2 sizes of fan bolt holes.

Dont want that 65 $ to break ya from a running Datsun

olddatsuns.com read it!!!!!!!!

http://olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

• Like 1

i knwo this is shady but these assholes worked me to death for over a year and worked me every saturday and sunday even though i requested every other sunday off for church reasons. anyways dude i bought a new japanese waterpump from oreilys and i took my old one (which was still good) bead blasted it and returned it to the store and got my 65 bucks back before they fired me the next day. so it had the clutch and i had a hell of a time gettin git off and i gave in to the die grinder and cut that bitch off. anyways dude you can get a reman water pump combo for like 20 bucks. they look like shit but they work!!! get ine of those, if somebody doesnt have one around you or you cant get one here let me know and i will think about letting my spare one go. peace

I must say and I dont say it often but Nissan FUCKED UP!! the water pump fan clutch cambo has been getting on my last goddamn good nerve for some time now.. I will NOT pay what all these auto part stores around here want ($65+) just because the fan clutch is junk! what can I do? I would rather not go electric but Im open to any and all ideas because my truck sounds like a shop vac:( will an L seris six setup work? they have a water pump with a bolt on fanclutch.. or will I not have enough room? i know it is a lil longer but I also have about 1.5-2 or so inches till I would call it close to the rad.. LEMME KNOW!!!

Receipt in hand ,,, take it back to them ,,, calmly explain and let them test it ! you have nothing to lose at this point if they can't or won't help you ?

that's what "service" is for :D

I buy my water pumps on ebay or Rockauto. Lot less than $65, even with the shipping. Especially if you manage to find a "closeout" pump on rockauto- I bought 3 or so for about $15 each. My spares have spares, but at 25,000 miles a year I tend to go through these a little more often than the average Datsun owner. Hard part is finding ones with the cast impellers vs the stamped steel junk.

I have several seized fan clutches, I don't care much, so what if it sounds like a jet engine. At 65 the truck is so loud the fan noise is lost in the road noise anyway.

If the bearing has seized the fan will turn the same rpms as the water pump and will sound like an F18 taking off. It's fucked.

Inside is a fluid coupling somewhat like a torque converter in an automatic. The pump shaft is spinning and it moves the special silicon oil against the other half that has the fan blades. There is a bi-metallic strip just like a choke coil on a carb that senses the rad air blowing over it. On cold start up or weather the coil holds a valve closed and oil cannot flow between the drive and driven plates, or very little. The clutch slips and maximum fan speed is limited to 1650 rpms. As the air heats up the valve is opened and drive friction increases and the fan speed increases to a maximum of 2150 rpms.

If the fan is too loose and spins too easily, this is easy to fix. What has happened is the silicone oil inside has slowly leaked out. Again you can split it into it's two halves and just re-fill the insides with 11.5 cc of special silicon oil # 21090 23000. (if still available) Someone on here just packed it with wheel bearing grease. This may be a bit thick but would work.

720stuff002Large.jpg

the pump has the cast impeller and it is a truck fan clutch even tho I have an adapter from the smaller clutch to the truck fan as well! and my problem is that a bearing is seized and I have gone through 3 of these shitty things:/ for two years I drove this truck at least 100 miles 5 or 6 days per week so the miles get racked up and the clutches always give up in the summer!! i think ima just cut the clutch off, go electric, and get every last tired lil horsey I can out of that L20! Thanks guys!

go find a 620 or 1980 720 in a junk yard, pull the fan off the water pump, go get a new water pump for 20 bucks at the parts store for an 80 720 just to be safe. Install it, then put the fan on. everything should line up. belt should fit just fine, if not, get a new one for an 80 720. It should fit. I have a brand new one on my truck but i forget which one i can look tomorrow. The belt will go on alt/water pump/crank pulley.

Not sure if this will work if you have AC, i dont on mine and dunno the differences.

Then you will have no more clutch fan, just a fan that goes with RPM of the motor.

There should be no play in the pump shaft. No obvious water leaking from the little hole on the under side, and when holding the pulley and turning the clutch part it should turn smoothly without rough spots and offer firm resistance to being turned.

Im prety sure I used a waterpump from a 720 z24 or z22 on my KC and I know my brothers got one on his L20. I had a few spare motors I got with a parts truck and I bolted one on and the pullys lined up.

Ive since switched to an early style just because they look cleaner... The early non clutch style bolt right in place and all the belts line up but you get a smaller fan with less blades.

These are one of the things I look for in the wrecking yard as the only ones I could find in the parts stores were the stamped impellar ones and its one of those things that seem to get replaced right before someone scraps their datsun....

All the Z20/22 and 24 clutch water pumps were larger than the truck or car L20Bs. Even the impeller and cavity are larger inside for more flow than the L20B ones If swapping be sure to get the plastic fan blades as they also are larger and bolt on differently.

L20B water pump

Lenginewaterpump.jpg

Z24 water pump

motorLwaterpump.jpg

Cheap stamped impellers

720stuffclutchfanremovalLarge.jpg

L20b and Z series clutches and fans

motorclutchfansLarge.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I ordered a WP/CF off Rockauto, it was 39.07 with shipping I put it on and that PIECE still makes a Shop Vac-ish sound!! not as bad but not alot better.. Im so over these waterpumps.. If I just cut the clutch piece off what is a good electric fan that I can find at the Junkyard? has anyone found something great? or is it pretty much a get whatever fits kinda thing?

Whoah, just checked this again, Im glad you didnt get a Z series pump ad try and bolt it on... Thanks for the info Datzenmike. ...It makes me wonder if the L series pumps might have been part of the reason for the stack of bad motors in the bed of the parts truck :lol:

Would you happen to know if the depth of the waterpump cavity is the same for an L28 as it is for an L18? ...Im hoping its yes because I just replaced the timing cover on the 78 620 with one off a z car and used the waterpump off of the L18.

Moedatto, you can always switch to an early non clutch style but its only 4 blades. WAAAY quieter but make sure youve got a fan shroud and a temp guage.