720 Conversion --> CA18DET

O-2-EPIC

i hope before you put it in for good, you do some maintanence on that sob, that thing is dirty! try to get all the rust off those pulleys or else it will squeal like hell!

of course lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Epic? Any new updates man? Dont leave us hanging....LOL I bet you got it in then drove it and forgot about us.....:-D

hey guys sry i havnt replied been sick/ workin non stop. have had little time to do much work on her. but i do have news. ill type what i can remember for now.

got my tail shaft made up. had to buy a ca18det automatic tailshaft took it truckline and told them i want the ca18 yoke and uni on the 720 tailshaft. at the exact same length. $200 later and 2 hrs it was done. cheap as chips considerin some of them around here wanted $400 + . i recommend shopping around guys :)

had to cut my sump to clear the steering arm just made a flat plate i'll post pics of it laters,, its a bit messy but it works so yeah..

haha dont use gal sheet metal to tig onto the sump its really messy. i thought it was normal sheet metal..

i got an auto elec to come do my wiring.. don ask me what he did but he did it... :)

engine turned over as of yesterday but didnt fire up. im not sure if it because my fuel pump isnt up to it or what not but at least it turns lol.

i cut a few circular holes in the side of my engine bay on the battery side and 1 in the firewall and made the hole where the heater hoses go threw the firewall larger as i used them to put the loom into the cab. heaters only slow you down :)

i also painted the engine bay matt black before the engine went back in and looks a million bucks better. i reran the head light wires etc under the lip at the front where the bonnet latch is, seemed to be a waste of space to me so i filled it. looks a hell of alot tidyer without scragy wires going everywhere. waiting on a chrome intercooler set to come along with my 180sx dash cluster and a few other guages. boost oil a/f guage etc. im just using the standard s13 intercooler for now. it will sit behind my headlights opposite to my battery. which the airpod will also sit. there are no wires this side of the engine either apart from the airflow meter which it'll go one day. so it looks really neat with the matt black engine bay.

all thats needed now i think is a better fuel pump and automatic tranny cooler.

im not sure if i have hooked up all my vacum lines correct as that could also be the reason its not starting.

I REALLY JUST DONT KNOW WHERE TO START...

oh also if ur in oz and got a right hand drive car, the standard ca18det exhaust fits (JUST!!!) between the torson bar and the chassis if you measure where it'll sit roughly between the two and squash the exhaust into an oval shape rather then a round one. also where the exhaust bolts upto the turbo, one of the sides mite need shaving just a fraction so it doesnt rub on the chassis. worked for me anyway.. doesnt look messy at all, just something you gotta do to make it wrk..

And who ever said to clean the engine up before i put it in, i took ur advice and was gald i did, i ripped the inlet manifold off and all the piping (water etc) and some of them were rusty and corroded with the original clamps on them, so i replaced the majority of them and clamps etc also cleaned all the gease and shavings??? off the inlet and where the injectors are. gave it a good clean in general. then sprayed the block black as well as the turbo and where the exhaust starts so its uniform with the engine bay. when its done the main colours will be matt black, red cam covers (will be resprayed as they are chipped) and chrome intercooler pipes etc. oh i think the intercooler pipe rubbers are blue that are coming with it ?!?!?!?!?!?! oh welll.. bit of colour never hurt no-one..

anyway, thats it for now, my heads throbbin so im off...

btw, id give anything to be driving it rite now. so far the build has only taken 3 weeks ;) not bad....

Oh and im reverting it back to columshift as i think its cool as until i get a manual box..

EPIC

very nice..

what fuel pump are you running?

have you checked for spark?

for vacuum did are you running the butterfly valve solenoid or no? and it should run even if vacuum isnt hooked up.

If not i can show you how i have my vacuum system setup, i have it the most basic simple way, that works. cool.gif

and PICS!!! when you are feeling better lol

got a walbro fuel pump i think its 190 L/hr or something.. and checking for a pulse in the injectors and coils this arve, just got a test light. so if it has a pulse in all of the above i dunno what it is.

I didnt hook the vacum line to the butterfly thing cos i'd rather have all 8 ports open all the time. i thought it was a stupid idea restricting the engine. i know why they did it but i still dont agree..

my freind didnt connect the fuel line properly the other day and i looked at it and it looked like it was just on.. so i gave it a tiny wiggle and the damn thing came off and i got a face full of fuel.. im glad now i didnt have a lighter handy cos i woulda lite the damn thing up haha. instead i walked away.. :)

anyways yer thought it would be easier to get an autoelec to do it incase i stuff it. an it was only $250.

anyways ill keep in touch.

Epic

the injectors should be fine.. theres not really a reason for injectors to go out and not squirt any fuel at all...

you sure you got spark? undo the coil rail and put spark plugs in the boots (ground the plug) and make 100% sure they have spark lol

yea no worries about the Butterfly valves, i did the samething, but let me warn you mine does seem like its hesitant before 3800rpm, but after that its a bat out of hell laugh.gif

Let us know

im taking my ute into autotech on wensday so they can hopefully get it running and i'll finally be able to drive it.

To all datsun freaks out there, when i get my ute on the road... when... im gonna try an organise a cruise for all the local boys and girls. toowoomba brisbane or where ever you wanna drive from :)

im gonna set it up for a few weeks time and it'll be on a saturday/ sunday so hopefully most of ya's dont work.

if there is much interest and ppl wanna take the day off sick :P i'll set it up for 1 month from yesterday for a saturday. maybe cruise round some of the dams and up threw mount me threw the windy bends.

anyways see how we go ay.

EPIC

Got my intercooler pipes in and figured out where the intercooler will sit. had to get one of the end tanks turned 180degrees so it fit straight to the turbo. otherwise it woulda been hard indeed to get something to work.

heres a pic anyway, its pretty neat.

SANY2834.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Project looks good! Ive got a soft spot for ca's :(

That cooler position isnt so good though, mind you ive seen similar top mounts fitted without scoops that sorta work so its not the end of the world or anything, just wont be doing much where it is

Maybe a tricky bonnet vent and a thermo or something can fix, or buy a decent sized cooler from ebay and work out a front mount?

hey guys thanks for the support, i am making a bonnet scoop/cowl to suit and im also getting an aluminium box made up to fit the intercooler and air pod into .[ the air pod sits behind the intercooler.] i was also gonna try an rig up a dry ice kinda set up. have a seperate department in front of the intercooler but in the aluminium box still. the idea is that when the air is forced in the bonnet scoop it would circulate the cold from the dry ice. a small opening will be at the rear of the box near the turbo which would also push some of that turbine exhaust heat out under the car. [ not that it would do alot but meh ] i was also going to hook up a simple sprayer unit useing a window washer bottle and a few garden type sprinklers.

Well thats the idea anyway, any comments please? as long as it has air in the end :) and i figured if its cold, even better.

im having a hard time picturing this setup in my head.. lol is the IC going to be enclosed in a box with dry ice? are you really gonna buy dry ice everyday?

And with that IC being that close, you will be suprised on how hot it will get.

i am liking the bonnet scoop to the IC though,

scoop will be alright, any minor drop in power is probs a good thing with the slushbox hanging out behind the engine :D

dry ice is an awesome idea and gets sweet results but as mentioned, doesnt last very long :( hard to store it too if you wanted to stock up on it. it'd find a normal freezer pretty hot ;)

• 1 year later...

o ok thanks for the reply mate maybe thats the key to fitting one in the 720 useing the 620 front sway bar, i was reading up on this site about the 720 front sway bar and im pritty shore some1 said it doesnt need on or from 77 it didnt come out with one seems a little strange to me but after looking at the 620 front sway bars it looks like it would fit the 720 and would clear the ca18det sump http://community.ratsun.net/topic/37501-sway-bar-question/ its in that link