720 Conversion --> CA18DET

O-2-EPIC

Welcome to my Log, firstly i must say there is a lack of information on ca18det conversions into 720's!!!! i search high and low couldnt find 1.. not 1.. disappointed as i am im keen to dig a hole for myself so others can learn and there will be at least 1 build log that ppl can refer to for info..

Secondly i'll intro myself. hey! im John.. guess what i own a 720 single cab ute with lwb styleside and im putting a ca18det in it! ok jokes aside, ill be posting pics in the next upcoming week. this is gonna be a task and a half for me as i have never done a conversion and only rebuilt cars not so much converted anything. its got a l18 in it at present with a 4 on the floor from column shift. 16 inch alloys with a nudge bar. its was white but painted it bmw grey 6 months ago as a dodgy to get a roadworthy, will be redoing it in the next 6 months properly removing rust etc and removing all the windows etc etc. i was just going to go with my mates l20 turbo he has. aparently the only thing that hasnt been shaved removed and replaced is the cam which i was going to go 510' lift crow cam. but opted to go a newer conversion instead as it will be just a lil more reliable and just a lil better on fuel ;p anyway, if anyone HAS got any info what so ever on ca18det conversion into 720 please post it as the info will make it easier for me. it would be heaven to have it bolt upto a L series gearbox or have the CA series box fit into the 720 with relative ease. i've got till friday to do all the research i can with this conversion and have till then to back out :) as thats when im paying for the engine. i'd really like to have this conversion though, cos once im done with the 720 i'd have the ca18det to stick into a gazelle which i'd love to make a sprint car one day to enter the leyburn sprints etc. the datsun will most likely be used as a drift ute haha as much as i say i'll take it easy..

anyway guys and gals, hit me up, feed my adiction and keep an eye on this topic ;P

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be rooting for ya man...I am really interested in this swap rather than the sr20....MINI Skyline Engine FTW. Anyways. Can you list what info you have already gather about this swap?

Mounts?

Oil Pan Clearance?

Going with the KA CA SR wiring writeup or Something different (perhaps megasquirt?)

Driveshaft?

What will you suspension setup be?

So PICS PICS PICS man. Do it! :thumbup:

ok guys sorry to leave ya all hanging, dont have the net so only here once a week pretty much! i have to say my 720 will be cooler then the flip side off your pillow. (see what i did there).. anyway.. im trying to upload pics. take in mind i crashed my little baby 720 a week ago! yes i know, its a write off but luckily i have 2 4x4 datsun 720's i could steal parts from. so these pics are of it with a quick repair so i could goto wrk still. IM SO EXCITED! my engine arrived sunday just gone so im itching to get started.

Im ripping the l18 out in the next few days and will have the ute on ramps so welding under the car will be easier. i wish i had a car hoist... i'll be sitting the ca18 and the autobox in to see if it clears the tunnel etc and to see how im going to make the gearbox mount. it should be pretty simple i think. as i said ive found NIL information on the internet about a ca18det in a 720 datsun so i guess im winging it. im pretty good with fabrication and pretty cluey so im sure its gonna be a top job. im sure its been done before but there is no logs. so im making one for ya's all.. one thing i do need is a ca18det manual for the engine. mainly for the electrical but would prefer one for the whole engine for when i rip it down and chuck in some forgies.i dont have alot of time to look so if anyone knows some shortcuts to find one it would be appreciated!!

as for Mounts? i have got s13 gearbox mount and engine mounts. i will be figuring out what to do when the ca is in the engine bay.

Oil Pan Clearance? oil pan clearance should be fine i think, if anything i mite have to get a high mount turbo manifold.

Going with the KA CA SR wiring writeup or Something different (perhaps megasquirt?) i'd love to keep the wiring loom of the ca in tact and i also want to get a s13 dash cluster and mod my dash to fit.

Driveshaft? drive shaft will most likely have to be custom made out of a 720 tailshaft and a ca. again all of this type of stuff im gonna have to wing as i have no info.

What will you suspension setup be? the one thing about the 720's is the lack in suspention swap outs. ive done little research into this mind you. so if anyone has any info on suspention and brake upgrades please post it.

im going to be making my own front apron but intergrating it into the 4x4 duck bill apron to make it lower. also going to try an get rid of the front bar and make something to replace it. also to come will be custom bonnet scoop and gaurds flared. i want to change the rim size and profile and run some small fat 14's that jut out the side to give it more of a stance. also pant job will be redone inside and out with a full rubber replacement. also will be seeing about fitting some r32 skyline headlights to the front to give it a more aggresive look. will ruin the 720 look but should look good still. stay tuned as there is heaps to come over time.

can anyone confirm what i've been reading? do all 4x4 datsuns have a lsd rear end? if so im in luck as i have 2! cheap change over for the win.

the reason im keeping the autobox at first is as said previously it will be less of a headache at first and i can replace it later down the track. plus automatic track cars (not that im putting it on a circuit) but auto's are faster then manuals because they stay in boost where manuals loose it with every shift and auto's are smoother as the gear shifts arent sudden and abrupt.

heres some pics for you guys, if you cant see them let me know.

Crazy720

O-2-EPIC.....Its nice to finially see you update us with pictures...Hopefully more to come. I just recently picked up my Datto 720 and pretty much doing the same exact thing. But I am way far behind...I wont get started until 3 months from now...:-D

You asked about going either MS or Stock Harness and ECU:

I say go stock so I can see how you do it...lol

MS would be alot cleaner and you can get the option with AUTOtune but I was wondering if you have located any maps for the CA18det?

Suspension:

Now one to the the answer for the suspension aspect. Not really a answer but this is what I am going to do with mine since I would like to track mine and not really in to show (Air Bagging it).

I was going to utilize the Toyota Rear end for 5 lug conversion since I would have a more array of wheel choices. But if it is true that the 4x4 Nissan rear end has LSD for sure....then I guess I can stay 6 lug and get some cool TE37 Knock offs. LOL

Either way....

I will remove the Leaf suspension in favor of a 4 link and coilovers....Kinda doing a setup like a semi trailing arms....Without the trailing arms....lol

I will mount:

Upper Spring perches on the frame itself about the axle....

Lower Spring perches on the axle itself

Then I will be able to run coilover sleeves and springs ( I believe a 450lb spring rate should be enough since I wont have much weight back there)

Then I will try to find some replacement Adjustable KYB AGX shocks and put them in there stock location.

Cant forget about the 4 link too....(that should prevent any axle movement)

So let me know what you think about that? Correct me or pitch another idea if you dont agree.

PS: Epic I will be rooting for ya and be behind your build all the way....I will try to give you some feedback to if it doesnt bother ya. Man I would love to come help too but it seems most of the members on here are like 3000 miles away...:-D

Also John...IIRC the KA24de transmission should bolt up to the CA bellhousing...But you will have a different gear ratio....Dont qoute me on that though.:rolleyes:

ok good news. the ca18det may be a straight swap into the datsun 720 using the existing 720 engine mounts.. i have the ca in and the right hand engine mount in as well. the left needs to go back about 20-30 mm and it will bolt up as well. i just have to measure the rear of the gearbox from each side of the car and make sure its centered. and if it is at the moment im just gonna make a solid plate and bolt it to the existing engine mount and then bolt the engine mount to the steel plate. i may also try mounting it with the ca18 left hand engine mount on it, this may work better and i'd just have to drill a hole where the left hand mount normally goes.

also when i say left and right. im talking from the position if you were looking at the car from the front.

ok, just a few things needed to be changed. the swaybar needs to go, im gonna try an find another one i can intergrate into it but untill then its gooone. also the sump needs to be modified as it hits the steering rack. i just took a hammer to it as no one is gonna see it but some of you may wanna spend $200 getting it done properly or however much it costs. it needs about 20mm at least clearance. also if your changing from manual to auto like i am cos i brought a auto box with the engine the master brake cylinder needs to go as it also obstructs the engine. also (unless you want a heater) the 2 heater hoses going at the rear of the engine need to be removed to make the engine fit in the current engine mounts. just use one of the hoses you pull off to make a loop from the two plugs (which is on the same side).

so far what i have roughly measured the engine should bolt up using the l18 engine mount on the right and either the l18 or ca18 mount on the left (i havnt done this one yet) also i had to drill the hole out to 14mm on the right engine mount bit that you mount the engine mount to. (the metal bit) and also the plate on the chasis needs to be drill to 14mm. the l18 gearbox mount should be able to reused and if anything new holes will have to be made for the gearbox mount, i recommend getting the gearbox mount with your ca18 and gearbox set up though as one of these will bolt up. also more good news the tail shaft is exactly the same length, i have not connected it yet but it should slide in. one thing im worried about is the spline being the wrong one, not sure if they come in different splines but anyway the measurements say its gonna fit.

So its hard to belive but so far we have a straight bolt in.. a very painful one so far as im winging it and finding out things as i go but straight forward if giving all the details i'll be giving you guys now and in future. as for the engine loom, i havnt even considered looking at this yet. shouldnt be too difficult though. im also using the s13 dash cluster so i dont have to intergrate the wiring loom into the datsun shitty cluster.

i took some pics today so ill post them up in the next few days. just of the engine sittin in and going in.

BAD POINTS!!!! watch if you smake the sump in with the hammer, it may split as its only 1mm thick!!! use a mig to weld if you do split it.

also i snapped a sensor off the top of the engine on the inlet mainfold today and i dont know what it is, if anyone knows can you please tell me i kno its hard with out pics etc but it on the mainfold pointing towards the middle of the engine about half way on the engine. it has 2 probes inside it which is the bit i broke.. its on a plate on the manifold and .. er well something and can be removed. anyways some info in exchange for mine would be grouse.

thats about it for tonight guys im buggered and black as black haha. im gonna go have a looooooooong shower.. happy days

cheers

EPIC

also i snapped a sensor off the top of the engine on the inlet mainfold today and i dont know what it is, if anyone knows can you please tell me i kno its hard with out pics etc but it on the mainfold pointing towards the middle of the engine about half way on the engine. it has 2 probes inside it which is the bit i broke.. its on a plate on the manifold and .. er well something and can be removed. anyways some info in exchange for mine would be grouse.

is it the part thats about 2" - 2.5" long with a blue connector? thats your air condition solenoid. dont worry about that little guy if ur not going to be running a/c.

is it the part thats about 2" - 2.5" long with a blue connector? thats your air condition solenoid. dont worry about that little guy if ur not going to be running a/c.

hey guys thanks all, yea the little guy is about 2 inch's and has a connector similar to what you'd plug into the injectors. i mite plug the 2 holes up if thats all it is..

also has anyone come across the ca18det manual by chance i mite need one soon and couldnt be ass'd buyin tracking and buying one. a pdf file would be nice ;)

cheers

Epic

pics guys, pics!!!!

SANY2710.jpg

SANY2712.jpg

left engine mount which needs a plate with 3 bolts in it.

SANY2715.jpg

sump which i belted to fit the steering arm

SANY2726.jpg

the front section of the tailshaft that needs to be replaced with a bigger spindal to fit the ca18 gearbox.

SANY2706.jpg

SANY2707.jpg

the gear crossmember normally has 4 holes in it but it only ever utilises the middle two for the gear box mount. i made 4 mm plate to go across all 4 holes and drilled the 2 holes for the gearbox mount. i think this will be more then enough for strength. i used 12mm bolts btw. if you need measurments to copy this build let me know.

sry guys i have had this typed up 3 times and the computer keeps freezin an i loose it all so this one is short an sweet but still has pics! ive had a big day and this comp will go flyin if it freezes again lol.

i dunno what i missed or etc but hey more pics ;)

cheers

Epic

Def. Epic...Let me get those measurements. WOW it looks great in there so far man....So have any options on Rear end yet? Im still debating on either keep the stock 2wd rear h190 and go with a precision lsd for it or go IRS from 240sx...IUNNO yet...lost

Eddie