exhaust flange bolt rusted

red-521

Hi, so here's my dilima, maybe someone can help. I got the exhaust flange off and am replacing the gasket. The bolts were very seized, but I managed to get them off. When I go to reinstall, I realize that theres no way these nuts are going back on, both nuts and bolts are stripped and corroded. They're very hard to get to as it is and not sure how I'd go about replacing them. Do I have to take the whole manifold off to get the bolts out? They seem to be pressed in with no head to remove. What kind of tool do I use to get the bolt out? Any tricks of trade out there that can shed a little light on the situation? It's greatly appreciated! Oh my truck is a 1971 PL521 thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

those studs are just that, studs, they have threads all the way down them & are screwed into the manifold.. Probably a solid one piece by now LOL. Anyways, take the manifold off, drill & retap. Or have an exhaust shop do it. But, if you got the manifold off, hit it with some pb blaster for a few days, and maybe try just using a pair of vice grips, and get them out. Take your time when doing this, hopefully they dont break off but probably will. Either way, probably need to drill/retap.

You could just drill out the old studs and use bolts & nuts, but thats questionable.

those studs are just that, studs, they have threads all the way down them & are screwed into the manifold.. Probably a solid one piece by now LOL. Anyways, take the manifold off, drill & retap. Or have an exhaust shop do it. But, if you got the manifold off, hit it with some pb blaster for a few days, and maybe try just using a pair of vice grips, and get them out. Take your time when doing this, hopefully they dont break off but probably will. Either way, probably need to drill/retap.

You could just drill out the old studs and use bolts & nuts, but thats questionable.

Get a friend with oxy/acetylene torch and heat the manifold around the studs red hot and they will twist out with vice grips. Anything else risks them snapping off and then you will have to drill them out. Replace with stainless steel studs.