720 tranny problems

cdreandrade

I own a 1975 720 and the tranny went out not too long ago. I was doing a burn out of corse, and shifted... i was leaving the bar. need I say more?

Well what I have is that I cannot get the stick over into the left portion of the tranny. I can get into 3rd 4th and reverse but thats all. It is even tricky to get into those gears as well. I am not sure what the problem is?

I am contemplating with changing for another tranny or rebuilding.

So, my question is: What other tranny's are available for direct bold or adaptation to my 2.0L L-series motor? or should I rebuild. I am new to this forum so I will post pictures tomorrow after I hit the storage yard today. Thanks for any help.

Chris and Old-Yeller

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can usually get a free four speed for those trucks, seems people mostly just give them away. best bet is to probably do that, who knows what you did. Bent shift rod, killed the syncros etc..

dogleg 5 speed out of a late 70s 200sx should be a direct swap too, but you will need all of your clutch setup off your current transmission, maybe keep the slave cylinder too

Sorry isso the dogleg will need the drive shaft lengthened to fit. The '75 came with a long 4 speed

That tranny has to come out anyway so either another 4 speed or switch to a 5 speed.

Cars and trucks with 4 speeds that will fit:

'73.5-'79 260?/280z/zx

'73.5-'79 620

'80 720 2wd.

'77-80 810

Cars and trucks with 5 speeds that will fit:

'77-'79 620

'77-'83 280z and zx (non turbo)

'81-'84 Maxima

Change only the transmission keep and use your throwout bearing housing.

Sorry isso the dogleg will need the drive shaft lengthened to fit. The '75 came with a long 4 speed

That tranny has to come out anyway so either another 4 speed or switch to a 5 speed.

Cars and trucks with 4 speeds that will fit:

'73.5-'79 260?/280z/zx

'73.5-'79 620

'80 720 2wd.

'77-80 810

Cars and trucks with 5 speeds that will fit:

'77-'79 620

'77-'83 280z and zx (non turbo)

'81-'84 Maxima

Change only the transmission keep and use your throwout bearing housing.

Thanks mike!

1975 720?

You've never seen a 75 720? noob...

You might get a bit more top end but probably not. The purpose of the over drive is to lower RPM at highway speed and increase mileage. Top speed is most likely limited by air resistance and how much hp you have to push through it. So if your top speed is say 90 MPH and you are revving 4000 RPMs in 4th, shifting to 5th and dropping the RPMs by say 20% to 3,200 you will again, likely be making less hp and will slow down.