Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Josh

Mate I've just spent the better part of my Friday ( home from work pulled a muscle or something in my back) reading through your build

I've got to say congrats on the car, in my opinion it's one of the very best that I've ever seen(even though I've only seen it in pictures and posts only of course)

It's truly a credit to yourself and the ppl who have helped you along the way

I can't wait to see more and more on the car ,I'm probably more eager than you are about that first shakedown drive, im now going to use this as inspiration ( along with a bunch of other cars on this site) to make sure I finish my build taking as much diligence and putting in as much thought as I can to the fun little challenges ( most people call them problems)

In this build you have shown that they are all just challenges waiting to be met with the right attitude

Just really wanted to say congrats on the build , how blown away I've been by it all and thanks for sharing it with us all out in the Datsun world!

Cheers

Luke

• Like 1

Josh
Mate I've just spent the better part of my Friday ( home from work pulled a muscle or something in my back) reading through your build
I've got to say congrats on the car, in my opinion it's one of the very best that I've ever seen(even though I've only seen it in pictures and posts only of course)
It's truly a credit to yourself and the ppl who have helped you along the way
I can't wait to see more and more on the car ,I'm probably more eager than you are about that first shakedown drive, im now going to use this as inspiration ( along with a bunch of other cars on this site) to make sure I finish my build taking as much diligence and putting in as much thought as I can to the fun little challenges ( most people call them problems)
In this build you have shown that they are all just challenges waiting to be met with the right attitude
Just really wanted to say congrats on the build , how blown away I've been by it all and thanks for sharing it with us all out in the Datsun world!

Cheers

Luke

Thank you for the kind words. Luckily I've never really burnt out on the project. All the little challenges have kept me going. It will be another few years before the car is fully finished with paint and interior.

I only wish the chassis was in better shape but I do feel it deserves to be brought back and on the road so I'm ok with all it's battle scars :)

Thanks again.

Over 4 days without a custom machined part?  This is bulls#(*!

:rofl:

I had to clean. I had nowhere left to put stuff...... :)

• Like 1

Josh I used to think why weren't you guys in the states using sr20's , they just seemed like the engine of choice, but a good mate of mine has been running a Ka for a few yearswith some pretty crazy results power wise, granted its definetly quarter mile car/ slash tuff street car but it's opened my eyes big time to what these ka's are capable of mate

It's just a motor. Any motor can make power :) of course the extra .4L is nice ;)

My car came with this motor. My intention was leave it N/A but icehouse had a S14 BB T28 on his bench and after a while I just couldn't resist the urge....

Only downside is the clutch and diff aren't really up to the task with the extra power. Gonna have to be easy on them. That will be hard with a 4:11 diff and sticky tires :) oh well. If she breaks then I'll ugrade. Until then I'll skip the burn outs and hard shifts...

• Like 1

Again wise words on the clutch and gearbox burn out wise and hard shifting on the sticky rubber, it took me a few gearboxes to learn this lesson and curb my driving to suit hahahahahaha,

in my mates green 1600/510 We had pushed the sr pretty hard in a few different builds in that car, but the results from the Ka power wise and et wise showed themselves pretty much instantly mate, granted his driveline is all about acceleration,

Your driveline looks to be a more a cover every base set up plus I'm sure if something proves not up too the task you will be able to come up with a stronger solution

I'm currently running a dr30 r200 outback ( 3:9 LSD) , going for a Porsche outer cv/ r200 inner cv combo, and having a custom shafts made up ( I'm not up too the task of machining and splining myself hahahaha) we decided on a custom flange machined up that bolts to the factory stub axle for now( the factory stub axle will be the new week link, the stub axles in my mates car are a work of art, but are still broken and need to be checked regularly for signs of twisting ) a new 3inch tailshaft sits in between the diff and new gearbox, I have just had a new tunnel fabbed and fitted ( again beyond my mechanical skills ) and we are running a rb25 5 speed out of a r33 skyline, I'm hopping this combo proves up too the task ( the end goal being to build a sr that I'll be aiming to turn 400rwhp with )

I'm loving your current driveline setup thou and am interested to see how it goes ( I'm sure your driving and mechanical sympathy will match your diligence in the build of this car mate)

I had broke three sr boxes through a combination of youthful exuberance , playing silly buggers and lack of driving skill hahahahahaha

On a side note Josh did you ever get a website up for all the parts you are producing????

Your right any motor can make good usable horsepower , some however are more suited to different applications , this is where the Ka really shone in my opinion in the drag racing game,

I'm keenly looking forward too seeing how your Ka performs as a bad ass jack of all trades combo mate!

Your right any motor can make good usable horsepower , some however are more suited to different applications , this is where the Ka really shone in my opinion in the drag racing game,

I'm keenly looking forward too seeing how your Ka performs as a bad ass jack of all trades combo mate!

No website. Don't have time to make parts. Maybe I should just farm them to another shop? We'll see.

Sounds like you guys are pushing the boundaries for sure. Got a thread with pics?

I pressured washed and bolted the tranny to the motor. She's ready to go. Need to make some side cash before I can finish the brake lines. Plenty to do until then...

IMG_20150606_175032_zpsfcznlbrr.jpg

IMG_20150606_175039_zpsherk3dwo.jpg

IMG_20150606_175051_zpskxzntuvv.jpg

Rear brake line routing. Just need some more of these: https://www.made4uproducts.com/cart/proddetail.php?prod=10-188

IMG_20150606_180045_zpsyyk9oavn.jpg

You can also see where the bulkhead connector for the power cable will go. It's just hanging in the hole in the pic. Big hole above it will get moved up and will have the quick connect harness plug.

• Like 3

I'll find out. I'm curious also. I just felt threading into aluminum and then having a torsional load was a bad idea. I know it works great for everyone else but you know I'm neurotic....

Frontend stripped for the last time (until I tear it all down again for paint one day... Probably just spray can battle ship gray for now.). Need to finish front brake and clutch lines, clean up the tranny tunnel, button up a few loose ends and then the motor goes in for fire up....

IMG_20150607_172350_zpspehyhqvw.jpg

IMG_20150607_172359_zpsnfykwaxg.jpg

IMG_20150607_172410_zpsffdlwvjh.jpg

IMG_20150607_172445_zpsbhyjfvj6.jpg

• Like 2

Went to work to sand blast some parts. Decided the pulley didn't need the back set of grooves (power steering?) anymore. Because why not....

IMG_20150412_130254_zpsmzvd0wvo.jpg

Josh, were there three pulleys on here originally, and you took the crank pulleys down to two, then took the ribs off the back one?

ol' 320,

The front pulley is removable. That drove the water pump and power steering. Middle one drove the alternator, rear one drove the a/c pump. I used the middle one to drive the water pump and alternator, threw away the front one and machine off the back.

I'll respond to your PM in a little bit.

• Like 1

Getting even closer josh, it takes a bit of getting used too seeing the steering box and master cylinder on that side of the engine bay!

Mate sadly I've not taken the time to photograph thr build this time round as you have done

My mates green 1600 has featured on speedhunters http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/10/a-9-second-700hp-street-legal-datsun-510/

This is a older feature and the car has undergone more r&d since , as is always the case, I'm not on Facebook currently but mick is I'm sure if you were keen pm me and he would add you , that way you would get to see some more current stuff from this side of the world 510 wise

I just spent most of today cleaning up the garage at our house, a house mate has his 1200 coupe in there as well, my car is currently back at the paint shop just had the chance to get a few little flair ups and things fixed here and there

I'll make sure to get a pics going in thread I think

So you must be getting pretty keen on getting the motor n box back in for the shake down drive!

Getting even closer josh, it takes a bit of getting used too seeing the steering box and master cylinder on that side of the engine bay!

Mate sadly I've not taken the time to photograph thr build this time round as you have done

My mates green 1600 has featured on speedhunters http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/10/a-9-second-700hp-street-legal-datsun-510/

This is a older feature and the car has undergone more r&d since , as is always the case, I'm not on Facebook currently but mick is I'm sure if you were keen pm me and he would add you , that way you would get to see some more current stuff from this side of the world 510 wise

I just spent most of today cleaning up the garage at our house, a house mate has his 1200 coupe in there as well, my car is currently back at the paint shop just had the chance to get a few little flair ups and things fixed here and there

I'll make sure to get a pics going in thread I think

So you must be getting pretty keen on getting the motor n box back in for the shake down drive!

That car is sick!

Would love to see pics of your car. I'm definitely getting stoked on hearing mine run. Going on 5 years since it was torn apart :)

Any more pics of the testarossa? What else do you have hiding in there? :lol:

That's my shop mate. He has three 348TS's on his side of the shop. He's making two complete cars from the three and parting out the third. One (the white one) is getting twin turbos and stand alone, the red one is gonna be stock. He has two S4's and one A4 outside and many more at home..... One of his S4's he bought a built long block and heads for and is going single big turbo pushing 700whp range. He has lot's of work to do....

Other bay next to me now has the wrecked All-Trac. He's gonna cut off and sell the front clip and then bring his 510 up to work on.

• Like 1
  • Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)