Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

Got some dark pics of the rears installed. I need to adjust the angle on the lower mount as it's kinda bound right now. I'll notch one side, angle the shaft and reweld. Once I'm happy this info will be fed back to Fortune-Auto for the final product. I have a few other details that need to be addressed also. Mainly the ride height can be adjusted way below what the suspension will allow and not much higher then slammed. This is fine for my car but others might want to raise it up 2 inches higher then I'm at.

IMG_20120727_204915.jpg

IMG_20120727_202547.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looks great that low.

Thanks! Only issue is suspension travel. I think it has maybe 2" up travel at that height. I would have to run 300lbs springs :crying:

Once I get the next revision of coil overs I can determine just how low she can go :thumbup:

I think indy's is lower

No doubt about that. He doesn't care about travel though. I want to hit the bump stops only under worst case circumstances. I never want to hit the rockers or make rubber on metal contact. This pic is sitting 4.5" at the rocker flange. It looks awesome but would require some serious hacking to get enough travel. We'll see. I know the BRE cars had a lot of sheet metal removed in the rear to get low and still have a full 5" of travel :thumbup:

My rear coilovers bottom out before the control arm hits the body,, there was no reason for me to hack into that seam for more rear control arm travel,, that seam IS structural,, especially with stock rear springs (no coilovers)

The absolute lowest I can drive is 2.5" at the front crossmember,, dragging the exaust ALL the time, and dragging the rocker panels/floors on very small speed-bumps/potholes

Anything higher than 3" at the front crossmember and the car starts being fun to drive .. no reason to go lower than 3" ever,, especially with a front sump oil pan

This pic is sitting 4.5" at the rocker flange. It looks awesome but would require some serious hacking to get enough travel.

The latest pics of my 2dr were the lowest I've ever driven a 510 at 45mph... totally un-safe, and dangerous just driving under 30mph

the rocker panel seam is 3.5" at the rear... and 4" in the front ... the rear is a joke with Phil's old cut springs,, my rear coilovers would never go that low.... and my tires are ALOT smaller than yours,, your tires would raise my car at least an inch

I'd guess 5" at the rockers front and rear would be the lowest you could drive a 510 safely and fun.... any lower isn't fun at all

.I'd guess 5" at the rockers front and rear would be the lowest you could drive a 510 safely and fun.... any lower isn't fun at all

Not true at all. My cars rockers are at 3.5" front, 4.25" rear. The front x-member is at 2.75". It is my daily driver. It is a total blast to drive. I have had it over 130mph and it was totally stable. As long as your suspension is setup correctly (spring rates, geometry, etc) it is fine to drive a 510 this low. I don't think I will ever raise it from it's current height, unless I get the wild hair to turn it into a rally car, and in that case....

For spring rates I'm running 400# in the front with no front anti-roll bar (soon to be 350# with a 1" bar) and 1200# springs in the stock position in the rear (~300# wheel rate). Yes is is stiff, but I wouldn't call it unbearable.

As for travel I don't know. I've never actually measured it. I do know that the limiting factor for front and rear travel is the tires (which are 195-50-15's) hitting the inner fender wells. This happens before there is any metal on metal contact. I can see spots where they rub.

Not true at all. My cars rockers are at 3.5" front, 4.25" rear. The front x-member is at 2.75". It is my daily driver. It is a total blast to drive. I have had it over 130mph and it was totally stable. As long as your suspension is setup correctly (spring rates, geometry, etc) it is fine to drive a 510 this low. I don't think I will ever raise it from it's current height, unless I get the wild hair to turn it into a rally car, and in that case....

Agreed510hrreasonablerideheight.jpg

Agreed

Cheater :sleep:

when are those bad boys for sale haha

Soon hopefully. FA is finishing the last Time Attack of the season this weekend. Hopefully they will have more time to work on them.

I went and picked up my 4 stage turbine HVLP setup. Gotta get a new top feed gun for it....

IMG_20120805_140215.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news.... Sent the Fortune-Auto coils overs back. I'm going a different direction. I know they make a great product it just got to the point were I felt I had no control over what the finished product was. They didn't have a car to test fit to so they relied on my dimensions. Problem is they didn't get any right.

Moving on.....

So another well known shop is developing the same style adjustable height coil overs. The cost will be more but the quality and fitment will be spot on. I'll give more details when their ready.

I managed to pick up a cheap ass 110v welder off craigslist, funny thing is I pulled up to the house to get it and it was Jalen :rofl: what are the odds...

Here's the bad boy :blush: I bought a huge ass argon/C02 mix tank and regulator. she's ready to roll!

IMG_20120820_194525.jpg

Now it's time to get busy and weld this bitch together!!!

More progress!

Yes sir, just waiting on weld through primer and seam sealer.

First on my list is finish the front core support. Spin the car around, finish the tubs, weld the quarters on and get the rear end buttoned up. Then it's all down hill from there :thumbup:

Josh hope you have fun.

and i never got a chance to set that on fire. I kidi kid.

Thank you sir!

bummer about the coilovers not working out. I am curious about which ones you're going with now...

Yeah, the price point on the Fortune-Auto Coil-overs was perfect. I invested ALOT of time into the project. Had they adhered to my drawings we would have a finished product right now. No hard feelings, it is what it is.

Hopefully news on the others soon!

Started on the front clip again. Decided to rebuild the passenger corner first. Had to disassemble some of the core support so I could fit everything.

First I stripped and prepped the core support.

IMG_20120825_120726.jpg

IMG_20120825_120710.jpg

Then I started fitting the corner:

IMG_20120825_112059.jpg

IMG_20120825_122042.jpg

IMG_20120825_122048.jpg

IMG_20120825_122056.jpg

IMG_20120825_123349.jpg

IMG_20120825_123400.jpg

IMG_20120825_123354.jpg

IMG_20120825_123655.jpg

• Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)