Rafe's Z project

datsun723

Hey all. I've had my Z for a year now and thought I'd throw up a project thread. I've got one over on hybridz so most will be a copy and paste ordeal for all the older stuff. I'm going to be updating this one more than the other though because I find myself on ratsun much more than hybrid these days ;)

Here we go! I got this Z back in September of '09 for $2400. Here's what she had going for her:

-Straight body, clean titled 280 that's always been in Cali.

-P79 head, N42 block that's been rebuilt at some time in it's life. It smoked...it still smokes.

-5 speed from a 280zx. Still has the r180 from the factory to my knowledge.

-Reupholstered seats and came with a new carpet kit. Loop style cut but it was new so I didn't care :D

-3-2-1 headers and came with a magnaflow exhaust.

-Tokico springs and struts.

-It ran pretty crappy.

Some pictures from when I first got it.

9021_153635011319_780276319_3490887.jpg

9021_153635046319_780276319_3490892_3073217_n.jpg

9021_153635041319_780276319_3490891_5751138_n.jpg

9021_153634971319_780276319_3490881_7437807_n.jpg

9021_153635036319_780276319_3490890_994018_n.jpg

Here's one of the Z I had before this one. It was pretty schweet.

P1040786.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways, time went on and I sold the '78. The first thing to get done on the 75 was to get it running right. I added new plugs, cap, rotor, air filter and tweaked the afm. It ran soo much better! Then I decided to get some twice pipes and ditch the magnaflow and cat along with it.

Here's a link to the vid.

You can hear an Integra in the background lol.

I also got rid of that horrible body kit.

downsize1.jpg

Much better ;)

At this point I really wanted to get some sound deadening because the exhaust is so LOUD! I got a sound/heat deadening kit from quietride.com. They make kits tailored to Z's! How cool! The price wasn't bad either.

The first step was to make sure I didn't have any rust underneath the factory rubber sound proofing.

downsize-2.jpg

downsize3.jpg

downsize1-3.jpg

So there's what I was dealing with. I got some dry ice, a rubber hammer, and went at it :lol:

downsize9.jpg

downsize11.jpg

downsize10.jpg

And this is what was underneath all the rubber. Some significant rust! Nothing that went through but still, I got my grinder, went at it as best as I could and "sealed" it with some krylon rust proofing. It'll do until I get new floor pans and frame rail upgrades down the road.

downsize7.jpg

downsize12.jpg

downsize15.jpg

downsize18.jpg

downsize4.jpg

At this point, Feb '09, I hadn't done much to the Z. I got some 6X9's in the MSA speaker box amped up and wired with an Alpine cd deck. I also got the carpet and sound deadening in but I still to this day have no pictures! Haha. I don't have a camera besides my cell phone so bear with me.

I got a new 3 row radiator when my current one decided life was too hard and exploded...literally. One day, peachy...loving life and keeping the good ol' L28 cool...next day, utter death as it poured it's guts out in my parking garage.

Still running the stock fan without a shroud and it seems to be fine. I've ran it in 100 degree weather without a problem so I'm keeping it that way until something tells me to upgrade to electric fans.

downsize1-5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures as of 9/19/10. Nothing really new. I need to install a new slave cylinder and am planning on going with a keyless ignition in the next couple weeks. Other than that, I'm saving up for an E30 to daily/backup duty for the Z. I haven't really had that many issues with the Z but since I don't know the mechanical history, I'd like a second car for a backup. Plus getting groceries in the Z SUCKS. I miss having a trunk :D

newz3-1.jpg

newz-1.jpg

zgto.jpg

15X7.5 Konig B-Bombs :cool:

Thanks Skib and MegatherioN. Slowly but surely haha.

Like I said I need to install my new slave and am going to install some contoura switches

switches.jpg

Something similar to that. Probably will be mounting them somewhere on the center console but no idea where yet.

Rafe looks sick. Love the b bombs . Was gonna get a set my self how much those set u back?Are the switches gonna do what they say on them or will there be secrets like passenger eject button? And go go gadget Rocket boost :D . Coming along nice/

Thanks dude! I originally wanted Rota Rb-R's but Rota sucks at keeping up with their demand and I would have had to wait 3 months. I got these within 2 weeks and they're bitchin'! Only 13 pounds each too ;)

I got them through a friend who vendors for Konig. Let me know if you want his contact information and I'll pm it to you. That also goes for anyone else here! I got tires and wheels for $750 but I can't say if he can get the same deal. Depends on the tires you want.

No, that's just an example lol. I'll have 3. One for ACC, ON, and a temporary start. When I get electric fans I'll get another switch :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...