My '76 710 Goon

datzenmike

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Clock and radio didn't work but haven't looked at fuses or anything actually. Shifter boot is toast.

Did not know the rear seat bottom lifts up and forward to allow the seat back to drop down flat. The 510s do that as well???

Yup 510 seats do.

Good bed for Canby Mike(better than under a bumper) :lol:

Well yesterday I finally spent some time 'going over' my goon. I put my 620 Bosch headlights and halogen lamps in it. Replaced the 10 with 15 amp fuses. I had a new '76 B-210 in the day and replaced with halogen lamps and the fuse blew going down a dark side road at night. This is only temp measure and I'm not driving it till next summer. By then I expect to have heavier wire and relays. (maybe projector BMWs) The grill had only one screw holding it on so replaced them all. Pass side markers work, driver's side not. The rear one was simply unplugged inside behind the wheel well. The front fender one was rotted inside around the bulb. No prob I thought, I have an amber one from a 2 dr that I stripped. Guess what? They are left and right side.:angry: :lol:. I have an amber right side but it won't fit the driver's side. What I did have is a rear right sedan red one so I swapped the guts and also the plug had to be soldered onto it as well. Fits and works like a hot-damn! So, on a sedan, left to right won't work but using a rear right on a front left will, by changing the rubber and the lens color. Just remember that a rear side marker will fit the opposite side front fender. The goon rear side markers do not match the sedan and are rectangular, like the 620. I will compare them.

710parts002Large.jpg

The red ones above are right (pass) side rear and driver's side rear and by substituting amber lenses and the rubbers, become front driver's and pass side markers.

The front looks like it's for the right side.

Have checked all fuses and they 'look' fine. Need to get clock working. My sedan didn't work, even had the dash apart twice to get at it. Yet on the way to Canby it did. Vibration? Runs fast though and too much bother removing it to adjust the screw.

I still love the sedan, no worries. It's now Mrs. datzen's DD so still in the family. A goon I can use to carry parts in...... and I don't have to sleep under the rear bumper at Canby next year. :lol: Instead of fixing the dented doors on the sedan, I may be able to replace them. More on that later.

Well yesterday I finally spent some time 'going over' my goon. I put my 620 Bosch headlights and halogen lamps in it. Replaced the 10 with 15 amp fuses. I had a new '76 B-210 in the day and replaced with halogen lamps and the fuse blew going down a dark side road at night. This is only temp measure and I'm not driving it till next summer. By then I expect to have heavier wire and relays. (maybe projector BMWs) The grill had only one screw holding it on so replaced them all. Pass side markers work, driver's side not. The rear one was simply unplugged inside behind the wheel well. The front fender one was rotted inside around the bulb. No prob I thought, I have an amber one from a 2 dr that I stripped. Guess what? They are left and right side.:angry: :lol:. I have an amber right side but it won't fit the driver's side. What I did have is a rear right sedan red one so I swapped the guts and also the plug had to be soldered onto it as well. Fits and works like a hot-damn! So, on a sedan, left to right won't work but using a rear right on a front left will, by changing the rubber and the lens color. Just remember that a rear side marker will fit the opposite side front fender. The goon rear side markers do not match the sedan and are rectangular, like the 620. I will compare them.

710parts002Large.jpg

The red ones above are right (pass) side rear and driver's side rear and by substituting amber lenses and the rubbers, become front driver's and pass side markers.

The front looks like it's for the right side.

Have checked all fuses and they 'look' fine. Need to get clock working. My sedan didn't work, even had the dash apart twice to get at it. Yet on the way to Canby it did. Vibration? Runs fast though and too much bother removing it to adjust the screw.

Way to go on the purchase Mike! Your side marker light dilemna is the same plight 610 owners have, especially us '73 owners. You can gut out either of the opposite sides, but you can't swap if they are both 'front' or both 'rear'. Kinda sucks when you have to get the car's lighting corrected. I'm actually in the process of formulating a plan for these side markers to have upgraded lighting - more to follow on that later.

As for the BMW projectors, I think they are a great upgrade, but, be warned: A LOT of sheetmetal has to be modified for the deeper "low beam" sides to work. Best bet is to grab 4 of the middle "high beam" lights and mod the buckets for them to go in. I don't regret the look on my 610, I regret all of the sheet metal that had to be removed to make it happen. Looking back, the setup with just the "high beam" lights would have cost less headache...

Thanks zerow about the lights. They fit the 710/610 headlight pots? or do you need the BMW ones?

Have just pulled the front tire off the '76 goon and the brakes look slightly different than the earlier '74

'76 goon are somewhat like the 620 and the B-210:

76710discbrakes002Large.jpg

'74 sedan are the angled type:

710projectbegin009Large.jpg

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I think that they tried to correct the camber issue.was a ole school trick.Not much gained but some was. :unsure:

I had a Canadian Anniversary 710 some(10-12) years ago pretty sure it was a 76-77 :blink: (age yah know)It had the same brakes as the 510s and 610s. :lol:

Thanks zerow about the lights. They fit the 710/610 headlight pots? or do you need the BMW ones?

The BMW Center 'High Beams' will fit the 610/710 buckets. You will still have to trim the excess plastic on the lights themselves, but, other than that, the buckets require no modification (will check tomorrow for you) :)

I think that they tried to correct the camber issue.was a ole school trick.Not much gained but some was. :unsure:

I had a Canadian Anniversary 710 some(10-12) years ago pretty sure it was a 76-77 :blink: (age yah know)It had the same brakes as the 510s and 610s. :lol:

Any idea if the spindle and wheel bearing was larger as in the 280zx?

I believe the HL struts don't fit the PL so what's different? strut to spindle angle?

Here's the Moog camber plate...

aircon710003Large.jpg

Hoping to get a 'feel' for them before tearing into it.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

:unsure:

not 100% but I do not think they are the same size.

HL will fit the thing that people wanted was the smaller diamter coil springs.

Sure wish I had that 710, or at least the canadian anniversary badges off it.

It ended up going to Courtenay about 10 yrs ago, ever seen a green 2 dr ht 710 there>

I had PL510 struts in my 710 goon.......... everything looked good.... ... and the camber plates were right in the middle of adjustment

Troy Ermish told me that 710s will accept all the same struts as a PL510

Right now,,, I'm working on swapping in my 280zx struts with a PL510 spring perch welded on,,, ,, and 510 1.5" lowering springs.... .. no camber plates for now (hopefully it will be fine)... ... deffinatley need bump steer spacers though (because the angle of the 280zx spindle,,, and the strut is shorter)........ they are quite a bit heavier than 510 struts too

OK pl struts will swap with 710s.

280zx struts are shorter than the 510/710????

I have some Maxima struts which is based on the zx platform so I expect the struts are similar to the zx.

710projectbegin029Large-2.jpg

Where do you measure the strut length?

The 280zx springs are too big for 510s or 710s......

I would say 280zx struts are at least one inch shorter than stock 710 struts...... ... . I will do an exact measurment later

Bottom of this pic: stock 280zx strut........ ... above it is a stock 710 goon strut.......... above that are 2 shortened PL510 struts/coiolvers

71051015.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Started up my goon to charge the battery.

inmygoon002Large.jpg

Are the door panels for all goons like this?

inmygoon001Large.jpg

My '74 sedan don't go all the way up and are painted.

GRAHEMBLASCO005Large-1.jpg

Would they swap? Not that I will but maybe I can get a set from another goon for the sedan.