JCCS 12 September at Queen Mary

MikeRL411

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a scare this morning. Went to start the RL411 but no go! After checking the ritual fuses etc., I hit the horn ring. "Blatt!" Idea, turn on the under hood accessory lamp! Dim yellow at best. $133 later I have a new battery, the old one had given up the ghost. Damn! size 53 batteries are hard to find and super expensive when you finally do find one. Besides the RL411 the only other recognizable car that uses the size 53 is the 1964 Corvair [not any other year Corvair, old first generation body style but with the spare relocated from the trunk to the engine compartment]. Peerless Auto Parts on Artesia Blvd came through as usual. They will actually work their butts off to find a part that fits!

Can't wait to meet up, Mike. We're bringing an EZ-up and some chairs, since we have a sponsor space.

I am going to have to skip this year. After putting in my new battery, I took a test drive - all OK until I was pulling into my driveway and burst the 2 half inch heater hoses. Couldn't happen at a better place. Can't get those hoses so fabricated replacements from Gates Rubber parts and proceeded to install them [part number on request by the way, don't have them with me]. While installing them in the impossibly tight space between the engine and firewall I managed to shear off one of the Stop Lamp terminals. After putzing around I managed to solder a test lead to the stub only to find out that when the pin sheared it also broke the connection inside the switch. Gardena Datsun has an infinitely patient parts department [by the way all 410 and 411 models can only be found under 410] but can't locate the ID of the part on any schematic, no search function on older models and will check with the national parts people Monday. Unsafe to drive without brake lights so I will spend my birthday on my patio. On to RockAuto's site!

• 1 month later...