620 One piece drive shaft..

Moedatto

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is already a thread in the 521 section but it doesnt really say anything.. Soo.. has anyone done it? i know it can be done but is the crossmember for the carrier bearing in the way? does any 720s use a one piece drive shaft? would that work?

I have had three 720s, all have had one piece drive lines.

i know that my king cab short bed has a two piece driveshaft. just a little observation, i put a long bed from a single cab and shortened it from in front of the wheel well, on my 720kc... with that said, i think that the general frame. and/ or length of truck is the same between the 720 kc short bed and 720 single cab long bed... which probably means the drivelines are the same.unsure.gif....

my idea was to go to six states on columbia in p-town and have them make me a driveline with a slip joint in it, perhaps give them a front driveline from a cherokee to lengthen (because it has a splined slip joint in it).. you would probably have to cut the crossmember that held the carrier bearing to make room for the movement of the one piece.

another side note... the reason why i would go one piece is to get my driveline angles correct again after lowering it...(my very front u-joint keeps wearing out premature... such is life)biggrin.gif

I've done it twice, first time on my original 75 standard I took one from a 720 and shortened it a few inches, it worked really well no vibrations or anything and I did it myself. Second time it was on my 78 king cab and I tried to lengthen it with a donor piece. Next day it blew on the freeway and took out my fuel tank and left me stranded. I went to a driveline shop in W. Sac and they built one for 275 and it's way solid works bad ass and it's 3" pipe. Syclone saw it and he's jealous hahah....if you can find one on a later nissan to shorten and you can weld do it. But if you can't find one just get one built!