waynos 1964 datsun NL320

wayno

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Oics. are starting to look the same, I figured out if I refuse to buy anymore sandpaper, he quits sanding. :lol: Not really, I think the main part of painting is done,:unsure: all that is left is the two little pieces of metal below the rear taillights. I changed the front hood lip back to red, hopefuly I'll go there tomarrow and find it unsanded. :lol: wayno

DSCN0509.jpg

DSCN0507-1.jpg

DSCN0506.jpg

DSCN0505.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0498.jpg

DSCN0497.jpg

• Like 1

Holy friggin' cow Wayne!! that looks awesome!! Even though I miss seeing it in my driveway now and then, I'm sure glad I sold it to you!!! I sure hope you're planning on bringing it to Canby next year....it's going to get so much attention, you won't be able to walk away to go pee!! :)

I want that hood with the scoop on it.... Hate to throw a plug out there but if someone can help me do that we can talk...

other than that, wayno this is what I'm assuming everyone would have wanted to see when mike had it.. The "what is he gunna do next" but you took it and accomplished it,,,you brought the new life into your truck...

this is the truck all the 320's will aim for....this is the bar and it's raised pretty high which is good... I could only dream of getting this close with mine but it can be done.

sorry, getting off my soap box now.... Awsome build and can't wait for the end result...

Thanks guys, your giving me to much credit though, you have seen this NL320 of AZhitmans, this is a nice truck as far as I can tell, and I am striving to get to this type of level, I can not tell if this is a show truck or a driver, but it is nice! I am putting together a nice driver, it's not perfect, thats the problem with the artist, he cannot seem to work fast. He had my 1947 chevy pickup for almost a year, it's a really nice driver, it's nicer than the NL is right now, but he had it for a year! I almost forgot how to put it back together. I am going to have to look at the truck for a while before I do the interior(seats, doors, ect.), as I rushed it to the painter so it would not rust this coming winter, I am hoping that the BRIGHT red grows on me. The artist just called and said the truck is done and the wheels are on it, only thing left is the two trim/metal pieces below the taillights. He says it's DONE! :cool: :cool: :D

James035.jpg

Burrito, it's not that hard to make the hood if you have a mig welder, you do not really have to weld, I didn't even use a welding helmet. But you have to have a mostly good datsun 1600/2000 roadster hood(the scoop has to be the good part) and a good 320 hood. Basicly you tack the scoop on the hood, about 200 little tacks, that way the metal doesn't get hot and warp. I spent as much time sanding the paint off to do the welding/tacking as the welding its self. I would look around though, maybe there is a cooler type of scoop, I just did what mikes thread had a picture of, someone else did it before me. wayno

Thanks guys, your giving me to much credit though, you have seen this NL320 of AZhitmans, this is a nice truck as far as I can tell, and I am striving to get to this type of level, I can not tell if this is a show truck or a driver, but it is nice!

Thanks Wayne. Actually, it's fairly rough... it's a driver, and it's unrestored. It's pretty much exactly as I bought it 3 years ago. It runs great, and it's all complete, so it'll be a great candidate for restoration.

My plan is to start on it in the spring (I have a couple other projects to finish first).

It will be a full-bore, frame-off, every nut-and-bolt restoration. I'll be building it from the bare frame up. I've been collecting parts, and I have access to a zinc plater for all the fasteners, a soda blaster, a bead blaster, a powdercoat oven, etc.

It will be kept approximately 90% original. The only non-original things will be the Roadster scoop hood (got a donor hood ready), lowered, bigger wheels (gonna have to make my own I think), front disc brakes, wide whitewalls, Roadster diff, the paint colors, electronic ignition, e-fans, and some engine internal work.

This OIC

theres a 521 cab setting there next to the 720,

whats the plans with that?

DSCN0517.jpg

I just had to have some fun, I do not know if that cab is going to be the front half of a kingcab/crewcab or the back half yet. It's to soon to tell, and I have to finish the first 521 kingcab before I start another one, I have been sidetracked by the NL, which I didn't actually think he would sell, I didn't even know it had a price on it. I went over there to look at the truck to figure out if the basket in california was complete. You know, that one in california that will probably rot away. I thought I would get a call from him, the "I changed my mind" call. The rest is history, as soon as I get the outside of the NL320 together, I need to focus on the 69 kingcab for a while. Does anybody need a L16 block that will run, I started it the other day, don't know if the carb is good though, it didn't knock, or make any weird noises, it just idled. wayno

Hi there AZhitman, the grill is a project all its own, I'm not sure if it can be chromed, but there is another one out back I received with the truck. Mike painted the grill slats themselves black, probably because of rust pitting, but that would be the plating companys decision on if it could be plated. I do have a 65 grill that looks like it can be chromed. Mike gave me a lot of extra parts, With the hood with the roadster scoop on it, I can probably take the truck to a show every 3 months and it would not look the same at any show for a year. Hey Bonvo, I am not brave enough yet to try to grind the black off yet for wide whitewalls, and I haven't even thought about another set of rims yet, maybe I can buy a set of wide whitewalls? wayno