Southeast Texas King Cab

Well, it's official. I am the proud new owner of a 1978 Datsun King Cab. IMAG0119.jpg

Most of one anyway.IMAG0124.jpgIMAG0126.jpg

I plan to eventually do a motor swap of some sort, probably a KA24de, but we will have to see what kind of donor cars I can find. However, because of my constant procrastination on past projects, my beautiful wifejermphone042.jpg says that I have to complete the body work before I am allowed to buy a donor car or new motor. I think my work is cut out for me as someone who has done very little auto body work.IMAG0120.jpg Hopefully, I can use my skills as a steel fabricator and maybe cheat a little with a possible parts truck (she didn't say I couldn't FIX the motor, just not replace it yet) and any help from you guys to turn this pumpkin into a clean ride in time for the local car shows next spring.

If you're reading this for the first time, I'd suggest skipping to about post #25 on page 2. This project sat idle for a while and the scope of work changed a couple of times before real construction began.

Edited by Rhapakatui
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Missing alternator, intake manifold, carburetor, valve cover and a few miscellaneous parts. Interior is pretty much non existent. Most panels have rust or dents(mostly minor) and three busted signal lights.

Sadly, I got zero done on it today because of honey dos. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.

BTW fuzz, if you see me do anything heart breaking to it and feel the need to rant a bit, I totally understand and won't be offended. Thanks again for the truck. I'll try to make sure all of my mods are thought out and add to the final product.

No new pics, and little progress today. Started taking the front clip apart to get at the rust underneath and knock out a few of the worst dents. Think I probably broke off as many bolts as I removed. Looks like I'm pulling a star trek restoration.. (going where no man has gone before). Found some near fossilized wasp nests and leaves. Nothing super interesting. Maybe tomorrow there will be more of a story to tell.

P.S. A funny note to explain how people think around here and why I want to show them up with a datsun at a car show. I've had it home for 2 days and already 3 people have suggested that I drop a Chevy small block in it.

Well, mentioned to my wife I may buy a hammer and dolly kit. She complained about truck budget. Went to 1 JY and called several looking for those missing motor parts. One guy, after hearing that I was restoring a datsun truck replied "Why?" I chuckled a bit. Got home and decided wife was right. Turns out a claw hammer, a piece of fire wood, and a crow bar work almost as well as a hammer and dolly.

Same thing happened to me on the shipping cost thing... then George said free, and I decided to see what I could make happen. It took me and a buddy spending about 30 hours in a borrowed Chevy Blazer, most of that time pulling a Uhaul car hauler that it was barely powerful enough for, plus about $250 in gas and another $100 just cause I couldn't take the man's truck and leave him with nothing, but I made it home with it.

Been on an unending quest for parts since I found out I was getting this thing. Today I went to the home of a highschool friend who had a 720 13 or so years ago. His dad kinda laughed at me when I told him I was wondering if he still had that old truck around anywhere. Later, I was at my parent's house and had some better luck. I asked my mom if she still had the book that we got back when we were working on my first truck when I was 16. She said that she had considered tossing it several times but always kept it for some reason and that it was "the good one too." I asked if it was the Hayne's or the Chilton cause I couldn't remember. She said she had the Hayne's for the newer trucks but the 620 one was "the good one" and told me where to find it. In her filing cabinet I found this and the memories came rushing back of my first truck Frank.

IMAG0133.jpg

Unfortunately, as far as Frank is concerned.... no oics, so it didn't happen :poop: Too poor to afford a camera back in those days.

ok, so I worked on pulling the motor all day yesterday. ALOT of parts missing.. the list keeps getting longer. I decided today would be a research day to decide if I want to go forward with the rebuild or try to sneak a motor swap past my wife.... I relocated the truck to my parent's house because they have a useable shop and about 15x the tools I have. My mom is stoked. I think she wants to work on it as much as I do. So, last night I was doing pricing and comparisons... stayed up kinda late after a hard day... got kinda tired.... maybe a little delirious, and I came across an interesting thing on CL.... made some judgement calls and then a phone call this morning... I think I may do something kinda crazy and I hope I don't get flamed completely off of the sight if things work out today like I want them to. I will let you know one way or the other this evening and give the details once all decisions are made.

NO... Its NOT a small block chevy swap if that's what you're thinking. I'm up to 5 people having suggested that now.

IMAG01361.jpg

Ok, to the 2 or 3 people who are actually still reading this thread... you can start to yell at me now... this is a 1995 Nissan Altima that I purchased today for $250. It runs and drives great. I plan to use its motor, suspension, seats, and whatever else I can on the truck. I haven't seen anyone being totally abused on this site yet for wanting to make an Altima motor into a RWD, but if you guys are anything like some of the ones over around the KA forums and 240 forums, I plan to get railed on... I even considered not posting anymore until I had a more definate design for HOW I'm going to make this happen. It was just too great of a deal to pass up.. I figure my wallet will like this move better, but my time and labor just increased exponentially. There will have to be much custom fabrication, which I can do virtually for free because of my dad's scrap metal collection and my access to an industrial welding shop. I also have a buddy who claims he can do the wiring with his eyes closed. Just may have to move that car show deadline way back.

Any feedback is much apreciated be it positive or negative... The closest thing I've done to this was putting a 620 body on a Hardbody frame, motor, and tranny. That was a z24 and the wiring was a pain. I can only imagine what this beast will be like. Wish me luck... or tell me to go to hell.. I'm gonna try to make this work either way. :D

I know.. its scary looking. I keep second guessing myself thinking maybe I should build a fwd truck, but then my iron worker side comes back and says Nahh I can build anything as long as its steel. Mount it sideways and move the firewall if you have to.

• 4 months later...

not in the long run :mellow: around here you could get a new L motor for about as much as you spent on the car. or a RWD KA24e even

Too bad we're not around there. :no: Dattos are scarce in other parts of the country you luck bastards. :poke: I know of one L16 around here. He wanted $400 for it and it needs a rebuild. :blink:

This would be sweet if the OP ever stops dancing in front of his Xbox long enough to give everyone an update on his progress.

1. I don't know what an OP is.

2. My Xbox is broken. I had the kinect hooked up to yours.

3. Progress reports are for when there is progress.

Lately this project has only regressed. I sold the altima to my sister. Now I'm repoing it. I decided to part it out and sell the rest for scrap to hopefully buy an Infiniti j30 for parts which actually come up for sale on the cheap farely regularly. Far more regularly than any datsun other than a Z. But as for real progress, I am sorry to report that there is only r and d.

Thanks. I forgot to mention the part where, while looking for parts, I found a 75 regular cab in much better shape that I've been trying to get on the road. I'm a few parts away from having it driveable and then my attention may go back to the king cab. Oh yeah, and that "professor shanky" is my friend who thinks he's being clever by harassing me on here. How's that working out for you?