New 610 Owner- Help with VIN

610racecar

I am the proud owner of a 1974 vs 1975 Datsun 610 race car. This car has floated around for some time- I found some posts on this site going back to 2007 where it was for sale. By the time it got to me, a lot of the goodies (rebuilt L20B, wheels, spares, etc) were gone, but it is still a good basis for a vintage race car. I previously raced a Fiat 128 from 1997 to 2005, then had a 1976 Honda Civic until my son totaled it in a open track day 3 weeks ago. Hence the new race car. I loved the 510s and B210s I saw race at Blackhawk Farms and Road America, and am looking forward to getting this car race ready after about 15 years of hibernation.

My problem-the id plate on the inner drivers door panel is damaged, so I can make out the year (1974), but not the month. Can someone clue me in getting this out of the VIN number by the windshield? All the websites I have checked don't reference Datsuns this old.

Thanks,

Marc in Indy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, post the VIN then.

Serial number PM'ed to ggzilla. I await his findings here.

I try to get some pics up as soon as I can. Currently the car is covered in Civic parts I just parted out. Boy, you guys sure are impatient. Don't expect a beauty queen. It's an old Improved Touring car with a ton of dents. Here are pics from the old post. The car hasn't changed one bit in 3 years.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/2066-cool-610/page__p__29877__hl__610__fromsearch__1#entry29877

Marc in Indy

...Don't expect a beauty queen....

This is ratsun.net, not beautifulnissans.net. We kinda don't really care what she looks like, as long as the all important Datsun or Nissan emblem is there, and even it can look like crap.

Serial number PM'ed to ggzilla. I await his findings here.

I try to get some pics up as soon as I can. Currently the car is covered in Civic parts I just parted out. Boy, you guys sure are impatient. Don't expect a beauty queen. It's an old Improved Touring car with a ton of dents. Here are pics from the old post. The car hasn't changed one bit in 3 years.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/2066-cool-610/page__p__29877__hl__610__fromsearch__1#entry29877

Marc in Indy

thats the car if so cool

Okay, if anyone wants to take a shot at the VIN

PL610033625

Marc

There is no 'K' in front of the VIN number??? The K would be there for '74 models, and it signifies sport coupe, which is what the body shape lends to from the photos.

I would have to go on numeric facts, and say this was an Early Model run, likely a September or October of '74 with A LOT of '73 grafted parts.

KHL610ATU

K....... hardtop, blank sedan

H....... L20B, blank L18

L....... Left hand reive

610.... 610 duh!

A....... automatic, blank standard

T....... floor shift, black column

U...... USA. V after '74..... California

Not very good huh? Hang on I have a '74 FSM.

KHL610ATU

K....... hardtop, blank sedan

H....... L20B, blank L18

L....... Left hand reive

610.... 610 duh!

A....... automatic, blank standard

T....... floor shift, black column

U...... USA. V after '74..... California

Not very good huh? Hang on I have a '74 FSM.

Same thing I thought, but 610racecar has no 'K', so I wonder what is going on here...The PL610 would imply '72 or '73. The 033625 would be Mid November of '72. Is the plate implying that this is a two-door sedan, not a sports coupe...???

Ignore the bumpers, as they may not be original. In Improved Touring, you can update or backdate body parts within a series line. The earlier bumpers probably weigh less than the later ones. I will eventually remove the bumpers, as this is allowed per later 70's B-Sedan rules.

Marc

I don't think there is anything on it that would indicate the month of manufacture other than the door tag. The serial number gives the number for that year that it was built. An early number would indicate an early month but who knows???

Same thing I thought, but 610racecar has no 'K', so I wonder what is going on here...The PL610 would imply '72 or '73. The 033625 would be Mid November of '72. Is the plate implying that this is a two-door sedan, not a sports coupe...???

my vin has no k in it and its definatly a coupe

The '74 610 FSM says

K............. Hardtop. W is wagon. No letter in this space is Sedan

H............. L20B equipped

L.............. Lest hand drive US

U.............. Left hand drive Canada

A.............. Automatic. No letter is manual transmission

W............. Reclining seat

T............... Floor shift

N............... Equipped for Canada, black for US

C............... Air Con equipped

my vin has no k in it and its definatly a coupe

Okay, hold on. You have a '73. Totally different animal in terms of VIN. And, to top that, The '73 VINs are supposed to follow the scheme that Datzenmike has described, but I know I have posted the '73 FSM version on the 610 Unites thread... :huh:

Okay, hold on. You have a '73. Totally different animal in terms of VIN. And, to top that, The '73 VINs are supposed to follow the scheme that Datzenmike has described, but I know I have posted the '73 FSM version on the 610 Unites thread... :huh:

ah but see even shelly didnt have a k in the vin

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, an update on the VIN:

Number on windshield plate and engraved in the firewall: PL610033625

Number on door jam plate and firewall plate HPL610 027823 Door jam plate when removed and scrutinized from the back says 8/74 manufacture (it was scratched out from the front)

Since the door jam plate and the firewall plate are attached by non-OEM screws, I assume these were taken from another car. Why, I have no clue.

Front brakes are same as 510 with the funky chamfered brake pads.

Mechanicals underneath look clean and solid. Nice header and exhaust, brake ducting to front brakes from the front spoiler, stainless steel flexible brake lines and huge rear aftermarket sway bar. Interesting contrast to some of the crampy detail work in the interior ie, the piece of carpet on the rear window deck to cover the holes. This was apparently in response to the log entry by the SCCA tech inspector who said the holes needed to be covered to isolate the fuel cell- Yikes!

What month did the new model year roll over in 1974?

Thanks,

Marc in Indy