Ka24de adjustable cam gears (Frontier spec)

hessianben

I know this isn't on my datto, but since so many of us are running some version of a KADE, i thought this would still be appropriate.

I have been toying with several different cam setups in my Frontier for the past year or so. After reading many reviews on the S13 'dual exhaust cam' swap, and other variants, I decided to see what was what.

I rounded up several sets of cams- correct me if my years/specs are off, i don't have my notes in front of me.

I got a set of 232/232's from a 95-97 240sx, and 2 248 exhaust cams from two earlier year S13 240's.

I ran several different combinations of the 232/248's and ended up liking the 248e/248e combo the best- good mid-top end

dd220b62.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

One difference between the 240 heads and the Frontier heads is that the rear-most cam journal is non-existent in the truck.

Therefor, you have to deal with the oil squirt hole in the back journal of the cam. if you don't plug it, it will just spray around the inside of the valve cover,

and not adequately lube the other journals. I had mine drilled and tapped from the rear plug until it blocked the hole.

DSC05859.jpg

Now, if you're considering doing this swap, do your reading first... you'll have to account for the difference in position of the cam dowel on the 240 cams. If you're going to run the exhaust cam on your intake, you have to clock it back 4 teeth to get it within spec, but even then it's still a little off.

This is where the Jim Wolf adjustable cam gears come in! if you already have a 240 spec kade, then you can simply pay $ and get these shipped to your shed...

...however, if you have a truck, you have a SINGLE-ROW-CHAIN, and you are cursed and smited upon, for lack of aftermarket support. So, enter your local skilled machinist.

I took my gears to a reputable local machine shop and asked if they could replicate the jwt cam gears from the diagrams I printed out.

Apparently, the diagrams are not exact and shouldn't be copied per the picture directly onto the gears- lots of room for big error.

Brett, at Nimmo Machine in Costa Mesa, CA took the degrees of advance and retard from the JWT sheet and made a jig to transfer the info to the gears.

came back in a few days and VOILA! He now has the jig made, so he can turn these out if anyone else needs em. The price is still close to the JWT gears anyway, but for the truck guys, it's our only option.

bcebcce9.jpg

70d79b04.jpg

2fb2a39f.jpg

I'll get them in in the next few days and let you all know what I find. I'll be running the #2 position on the intake cam to correct for the teeth.

disclaimer: this isn't a how to- do good research before diving into any of this.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, forgot to tell you guys- they worked! Initially, I had lost some compression when installing the exhaust cam on the intake side, but after correcting with the new sprocket, back to full!!

great success on the butt-dyno too.