Carrier bearing

My question to all you Datsun gurus...Can you replace a carrier bearing? and if so, how do you do this. The one I have in about 60% torn and I am not real sure how much longer it will hold...So I seek advice from the knowlegible ones...I am just a meer mortal compared to most of you...So any advice would be cool...thx...:D :D :cool:

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the bearing is no good it can be removed using a puller and a new one put on using a hydraulic press, ( no easy solution). If just the rubber insulator is torn or falling apart, I've had success with undoing the support bracket and wrapping the outer surface of the bearing with a rubber strip (I used a strip of conveyor belt) held on with a large diameter gear clamp. As long as the bearing is ok, and there is enough new rubber to hold the drive shaft securely when you bolt it back up with the mounting brackets, it will work great. Just be sure to wrap the rubber onto the stationary outer part of the bearing, not the spinning part of the drive shaft. I did this on my 620 so the shaft wouldn't flop around while I ordered a new one, but it worked so well I left it alone.