Someone's old, My new 520

datsunz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. The wires haven't been fully run yet, I pulled them all off the inside when I was painting and am not finished painting and don't think it will be warm enough to paint again until spring. I will clean it up a bit after. The Roadster is actually a daily driver (unless it rains, no top), just came with a dented hood. Too cold for her so she is hibernating until spring.

• Like 1

Ya, it is a 71 Pinto radiator, had a heck of a time getting another one. Then, it was the same but 1/4" shorter on each side and i had to add tabs. The hood rests right on the cap. Very tight fit. But very happy with the end result. I really enjoy driving this truck, i need to get rid of in cab vibrations and dampen the flooring and put in the 5-spd dogleg and 3.54 gears I have and redo the brakes and she should be fully good to go. Making progress.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, the weather has been fairly mild here with no snow!!! Took it for a cruise by NHMS today and pulled in for a snapshot. She's running great, fixed an oil leak at the pressure sensor and now (knock, knock) appears to be leak free. My gas flap has no connection point to stay closed, looks like it was spot welded on from the factory and it came off. Any ideas?

67datsun.jpg

67datsun2.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

hey there! I like! I've got a 520 wagon, that I wanna do in a similiar colour, or matt black, with the bumperless look. Tell me, with the headlights, what model are they off, and do they have a yellow model for the centre lights? cheers, Tom.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Well, it's been a while.  I haven't done too much to it but drive it when I can.  I pulled the bucket seats out and got a used 521 bench seat that gives me more leg room so it should get more diving time.  I also removed the side mirror and mounter an original Everwing mirror on the front drivers side, can't quite see it in the photo.  She still runs strong. Also put clear directional lenses up front.

IMAG0969_zps73f5dd44.jpg

• Like 3
  • 11 months later...

Well, been a bit.  Doing all 4 brakes, shoes, cylinders, and springs.  Of course the adjusters are frozen also.  Once the brakes are done have to chase down a directional electrical issue and she should be good to go.  Also have to bolt down the bench seat.  Still runs like a champ.  Hint with brakes, don't bother bashing the drum off, just take off the cotter pin and pull the drum.  

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

Well. How often does a 67 520 come up on Craigslist in NH 5 miles from you?  Twice so far, pretty crazy.  Couldn't pass it up.  this thread is in photobucket, not sure how long that will last.  I'm trying flikr now. Had to free up both rear drums to roll.  drained fuel tank and ran new line. cleaned out carb bowl and filter. Got her running good. Alternator jumps around.  All original. Just put in new clutch and brake master.  Kingpins are locked up.  Put grease in them and used a torch, someone could turn it but it was very hard and jumped, when cooled doesn't want to turn.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162796338@N03/shares/3rWM6B

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162796338@N03/shares/UB2g00

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162796338@N03/shares/1V72YP

• Like 3

Not many left.  I saw the "other guys" thread in 521.  Hahah I know him. I'm the guy who sold him the roadster. I should have this new one running and moving (not steering) by this weekend.  luckily i have parts from my other 520 and I have a complete nissan kingpin set (yeha) also have the shifter bushings to put in the stick, its all over the place now. Sat on the ground too long. Everything above the floor is good, below the floor frozen.  frame is good though.  Not sure what level I want to go to with this, but it has gotten the Datsun bug alive in me again. Still have the 72 240z turbo, 66 311 and these 2 520's.  Sold my 78 280z 8(.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, got the new clutch and brake masters in.  Snapped  rear brake bleeder so now I have to get the rear drum off.  Does not want to budge.  What's the easyist way to get it off?  Other than that it shifts, the shifter is super sloppy, and drives and turns better now. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I had no right directionals. Traced it to the switch.  Had to take it all apart and pry the 3 tabs back.  The contacts were all gummed up. Cleaned and reassembeled ( the ball on the spring was a PIA to get back together), but now all is well.  Will post a pic when I can.  I also took the stock 67 rims off the new truck(with the tabs) and powdercoated them a grey/blue and put on new 195/75/14's on them and moved these tires on the blue truck now to the new truck.  I think it will pass inspection, so next time I'm out I'll try.  Oh ya, my accelertor pump was leaking due to a rotten gasket.  Had the rebuild kit so I just did the pump area and it's running a lot better with more power.

Edited by datsunz
  • Like 1
  • 10 months later...