Couple of 411 questions

brittney

My oil plug was replaced with an old rubber one and I can't seem to find a one or a bolt to fit. Auto part stores can't get one and a couple hydraulic shops, still can't seem to find one. Does anyone know where I could find one? Or the correct measurements of one?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The oil pan drain plug for the 1600 type R engine is indeed a queer duck! It is indeeed SAE but of an obsolete type "SAE semi finished" not coarse or fine, it is essentially a straight, non tapered, pipe thread. The "standard" half inch drain plugs are too small, so I would GUESS 5/8 or 9/16 inch, only a guess remember. It has been so long since I messed with mine that I can't remember the nominal diameter. I had stripped the helicoil insert in the oil pan, so my solution was to buy a Toyota 18 mm drain plug and get an aluminum head spark plug repair kit for the Ford 18 mm spark plug. It has to be a Ford kit, the Ford head has a flat shoulder for the 18 mm plug, all others use a tapered seat. The kit comes with the proper drill, tap and sealant so the only problem is keeping the pan square to the drill and tap while installing the kit. I used a drill press to drill out the original thread and then turned it off and manually rotated the tap to cut the threads for the insert. Works fine if you have to go this way!

• 3 weeks later...

How do you upload pictures? I have 1 uploaded somewhere on here but I'm not sure where. Haha. And how exactly do you tell the difference between an sss and just a normal rl411? I've asked a couple people and really didn't get a straight forward answer, its got to be more than just the different emblems right?

As far as my wagon goes, just waiting on the oil plug we ordered! Then shell be on the road!

I think about the quickest way to identify an SSS (or Sportwagon) is the front disc brakes. The PL cars had the 1.3 liter engine and front drum brakes and the RL cars had the 1.6 liter engine and front disc brakes. My understanding is that an RL411 is an SSS (and a WRL411 is a Sportwagon.) I have a 1966 WPL411.

Holy damn. That's... quite the challenge you have ahead. :blink:

Obiously, red was "the" color for WRL411's - I have never seen one in any other color(unless one of the two Sora Blue ones on Ratsun is a SSS).

Dash looks great!!!

Thanks! Yea its coming along. The inside got all redone, except for the door panels that got a little wavy over time but aren't bad, have the stuff to redo them, just not enough time right now. New carpet, dash redone, new headliner, trims all painted, seats redone. The inside looks new, just the outside needs work now, which my boyfriend can do the body work and paint. Missing a couple emblems, got the grill, all trim around the windows are in really good shape, new wheels. Just got the oil plug hopefully tonight we can take it for a drive!

A reference [Datsun Model Guide] I have found says that 5235 RL411 {RL411UAK} with Automatic transmissions and 5235 RL411 {RL411UTK] with manual transmissions were imported. Doesn't address wagons WRL411UAK or WR4111UTK.

Not to doubt you or your research, but I'd bet that's WAY off.

I've seen far more wagons than sedans, and ANY car that was imported in those quantities (10,470) would still have several surviving examples running around.

Not to doubt you or your research, but I'd bet that's WAY off.

I've seen far more wagons than sedans, and ANY car that was imported in those quantities (10,470) would still have several surviving examples running around.

I will bring a print out of the reference with me to the JCCS show on 12 September. Remember, I said it only addressed sedans, not wagons.

Re survivors, 10 years ago there was a lineup of 5 RL411 and one WRL411 in the Ecology Auto wrecking yard in San Pedro. The wrecking yard is where the "missing" cars and wagons went. I took what I needed and left the rest to the shredder.

Remember, I said it only addressed sedans, not wagons.

Re survivors, 10 years ago there was a lineup of 5 RL411 and one WRL411 in the Ecology Auto wrecking yard in San Pedro. The wrecking yard is where the "missing" cars and wagons went. I took what I needed and left the rest to the shredder.

Right, I caught that. I just meant that it's odd that 10,000+ were imported and so few remain. Even more odd that the wagons survived in greater numbers.

BTW, I'm looking forward to meeting up finally. You have been an incredible help through my 411 restoration, Mike.

Right, I caught that. I just meant that it's odd that 10,000+ were imported and so few remain. Even more odd that the wagons survived in greater numbers.

BTW, I'm looking forward to meeting up finally. You have been an incredible help through my 411 restoration, Mike.

My pure guess is that the wagons were used to haul rug rats to and from school and most sedans were bought as race homologation models. The upgrade parts were required to be available over the counter by race association rules. Riverside raceway [i'm dating myself] had quite a few race there, most only lasted a comparitive few years due to "agressive" driving. See you Sunday! By the way, did you need a choke, headlight and wiper under dash console? I don't remember who was looking for one earlier this year.