Lifting a 620

lynchfourtwenty

The D20 transfer case isn't the issue- it's the adapter on the front to use a Datsun-type flange to use it remotely. When I was looking for a D20 to replace the missing one, most were straight out of the Jeep and were "Married" transfer cases- had a spline where the transmission tail bolted in. This has a 4-bolt flange where you use a 4-5" stub shaft from the stock Datsun trans to the T-case.

The truck needs support brackets fabricated and welded to the frame to remount the T-case, and then have the drivelines installed. I have a pair of drivelines I got from a parted-out '79 KC 4X4 (the owner was going to install a V-8 and heavier axles, never finished it though) but the rear driveline has a much larger flange to the rear diff than Datsun used- it fits a Toyota diff. Which I have, just not in the truck. The truck has the stock Datsun axle mounted in an axle-under spring configuration.

It was a pretty good cobversion job originally, but someone removed the t-case and then the truck just became some tweeker rig, got abandoned in Auburn when the starter went bad, and it ended up in a abandoned vehicle auction. I cleaned all the tweeker and mobile meth lab junk out, replaced the starter, and put a proper radiator in it and drove it around for most of a year. Then someone stole the $25 bargain-store radio, wrecking the dash wiring, and I just kind of lost interest. I fixed it enough to get it running but there are enough wiring issues from the tweeker wiring and the theft that it needs a whole dash and engine compartment harness (which I have) but I just don't have the motivation.

The brackets to the T-case need to be fabricated because what I have is incompatible. 2 different conversion companies. The brackets that are still in the truck need the corresponing brackets that bolt to the T-case, and the brackets bolted to the T-case I have need the corresponding brackets on the frame. What I have do not match, very different design. If you look under my existing 4X4, it's a completely different method once again. Everyone did it differently. So somehow, the pile of pieces need to be combined, and I figure to make the T-case work, custom brackets still need to be fabricated. Fairly easy to do if you can get it all on a lift, jig up the T-case so the drivelines position properly, then make the brackets out of steel plate. I can't do that.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

i just want to do something with the truck, fuckin things just sittin in my garage collecting shit in the bed as usual.. runs, drives, turns ab stops just needs tags..

plus when i take it to shows or whatever i want it to stand out from all the other 620s.. an what better way then to raise it.. im tired of seein low ass 620s that get stuck on anything bigger then a ciggerette pack lol..

i'd love to buy or trade for a 4x4 620 but i just dont think thats going to happen..

There was a 620 4X on CL here just a few days ago too. I guess those things came with some pretty legit running gear too.

Everyone did it differently. So somehow, the pile of pieces need to be combined, and I figure to make the T-case work, custom brackets still need to be fabricated. Fairly easy to do if you can get it all on a lift, jig up the T-case so the drivelines position properly, then make the brackets out of steel plate. I can't do that.

That makes more sense :)

I'll take a look at my 4x4 parts next time I'm at my storage unit. I cant remember if I have the crossmembers and brackets for my 4x4 setup.

I do have a welder though. :P

ok so since everyone an they're mom is lowering their trucks an such, i been thinkin about raising mine.. how would i go about doin this an how far could i lift it in the front realisticly?

for the rear i just get longer u bolts and put the axle under the leaf springs with the lowering block now becoming a rasing block.. is that correct? with all that done what size tires do you think i could realisticly put on? would i need longer shocks?

thinkin a prerunner style look.. brush guard an all that mess.. prolly put a heavy duty back bumper on or something too..

also will prolly end up with a ka or na sr in the long run..

and YES I DID SEARCH

http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

http://www.google.com/search?q=lifting+a+620&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADSA_en

maybe im not doin it right? OR AM I THE FIRST MOTHER FUCKER ON RATSUN TO ASK THIS QUESTION?? if so do i win a cookie?? heh :frantics: :rofl:

I am pulling what appears to be a 4-6" body lift off of a 77 620 really soon i would make you a killer deal on the kit if you are interested! It is a real kit with phenolic spacers and good bolts, not wood blocks or anything!

ok so since everyone an they're mom is lowering their trucks an such, i been thinkin about raising mine.. how would i go about doin this an how far could i lift it in the front realisticly?

for the rear i just get longer u bolts and put the axle under the leaf springs with the lowering block now becoming a rasing block.. is that correct? with all that done what size tires do you think i could realisticly put on? would i need longer shocks?

thinkin a prerunner style look.. brush guard an all that mess.. prolly put a heavy duty back bumper on or something too..

also will prolly end up with a ka or na sr in the long run..

and YES I DID SEARCH

http://www.google.com/search?q=lifting+a+620&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADSA_en

maybe im not doin it right? OR AM I THE FIRST MOTHER FUCKER ON RATSUN TO ASK THIS QUESTION?? if so do i win a cookie?? heh :frantics: :rofl:

Also I just found this on Spokane CL, it is in Idaho and I am close to it so i am gonna take a look, I have found some nice Datsuns on CL by typing in Datson LOL.........I know you may not want another project but his guy is already up in the air you could do a body swap?? 500 bux aint bad either check it out i am gonna get ahold of the guy and go look at her this weekend...... http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/1894119712.html