best "gasket" material to use?

burrito213

hello all,

im in the process of pulling my engine because of my transmission issues... based on the fact i will have the engine out i figured id clean it up a little and rattle can some paint on the block.

however, i may be looking in the wrong places but, it has been a b**** to find parts for my engine. i have helped make some gaskets for a contractor working on a "hall scott" engine and figured i will do that too.

what is the best material to use though.....

valve cover

oil pan

and the other areas that need a gasket

what is recommended?..... isnt there many types of cork?.... rubber material?.... that thick paper?..:huh:

any insight would help.

thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just use gaskets where you can help it ,,, a tiny bit of sealer is all that is needed if for some reason you feel you need some ( last resort )

don't use much if any silicone if you can help it ^^^ MetalMonkey is right ,,, you don't want that shit sucked into your oil gallery/pick up/ or pump at all !!! I have seen many a time people overuse this to SAVE money ,,, and ruin the engine because some of it broke free and starved the engine :blink:

Depends on the motor. For newer motors it seems nissan is using a ton of permatex ultra grey, but they designed them to. I'd say if it's supposed to have a gasket, use a gasket, and use the OEM one unless there is a better aftermarket version like there often is for headgaskets.