"K" r180 4.11 swap need help (pics)

Thanks to Brandon and Charles who told me about this site. I hope to attend the moval meet. my question is... i have a K r180 4.11 diff that uses clip in axles. i read an article that said i could use my bolt in halfshafts if i swap the "buttons" from my old diff to the newer diff. i opened my old diff, and i cant figure out how to take out the spider gears or the button from the spider gears. here is a pic showing the two gears i want to take out. Has anyone with a K r180 done this, and can provide me with a tip?

DCFN0016.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what does K mean???????

that spacer in the middle should come out. But i think its held in by a roll pin. but i forget.

as for the spider gear. the old diff has the threaded plate like a 240/510.

Just bang that plate off and use a vise to squeeze it back on the new spider gear your using so you can use the old half shafts.

There is a roll pin that needs to come out to dissasemble fully maybe thats why ring gear needs to come off.

I have a vid of me and Icehous doing a swap for the half shaft . convert C clip 260z style to the 240z or 510 style.

If a 510 half shaft is used on the R180 the dust shield edge need to be cut off as you will only get a couple turns on the bolt that holds it on. Only needs like 20pounds torq and make sure the diff turns

also there are half moon shims behide the spider gear so take aprt carefull and put back in the same spot.

I have a vid of this if you cant figure it out

ok i will take off the ring gear and see whats under there. i honestly dont know what the K stands for. i just know it is on the "newer" style r180s where the inside of the ring gear is 5 mm bigger, and the carrier and pinion are not interchangeable between the older and newer styles. it just has a K on it. zkdiffs.jpg

More information from HybridZ.org, it unfortunately does not go into great detail on how to remove the pinion shaft in order to remove the gears in the carier:

HybridZ.org-Differential Thread

Newer R180s are availabe from the 84-88 200SX and have a large K cast into the top of the housing. They can be used in the Z with some modifications. The newer diffs use a stub shaft that plugs into the diff and is retained by a circlip, and the older diffs used a bolt in stub shaft.

CLIP IN AXLE VS BOLT IN AXLE R160s/180s

There are two ways to use the newer R180s with the original side stub shafts and half shafts. One is to convert the diff to the bolt in axles. The part that the bolts connect to is called a button, and the procedure to swap the buttons into a K diff is described below. These same procecures hold for LSD carriers, but the disassembly of the LSD is a bit more complicated. The other is to modify the stubs to use a spring clip, and then clip the axles in. www.betamotorsports.com has taken the effort out of this procedure by performing all the machine work. Just buy the new stubs and clip them in.

In addition to the bolt in axle issues, there is another difference between early and late R180s. Early R180's measure 110mm inside the ring gear. 77 and later model year R180s measure 115mm inside the ring gear. This minor change means that the ring and pinions won't swap between the early and later models. If you have an early diff you must use an early carrier, and if you have the later diff you must use a later carrier. It is possible to use a early carrier on a later ring gear with a spacer, but that is outside the scope of this thread.

Modification procedures to convert new K R180 to bolt in stub shafts:

1. Start with K R180:

KR180snapincarrier.jpg

2. Remove seal protectors and circlips:

KR180carriercomplete2.jpg

3. Remove buttons from side gears in old differential and place them on the new side gears in the K R180:

KR180buttoninsidegear.jpg

4. Reassemble carrier with buttons in place. Now you can bolt in the side stubs just as you would on the original R180:

KR180differentialconvertedtoboltin.jpg

thanks everybody i found the pin that needs to come out. i know right D25E! but, it was really simple i just made it more complicated than it was. i didnt see the pin that needs to come out (thanks Banzai510. here is a pic of taking off the ring gear if anyone is having trouble doing that. To get the Pin out i tried everything from allen wrenches to screws from my RC car, putting it in a vice with a nail on it. :blink:

tomorrow i will buy a proper punch.

DCFN0018.jpg

UPDATE 8/12 we have the gears out now! ring gear must come out to get a square hit on the big pin that holds the gears in place. the small roll pin i got with a punch to get going, and a drill bit the rest of the way. thanks banzai510! now i get to open my 4.11 and do the whole process again with a little more care, and swap the buttons. :D

blue punch showing where pin is...

red on the two gears i need with buttons.

red on the roll pin.

also showing the other spider gears and the half-moon shims.

DCFN0020-1.jpg

8/15 (opened the 4.11)

i was thinking i could just swap the gears but they are a little different...

DCFN0004.jpg

DCFN0005-2.jpg

out come the buttons, ready to go in the new gears as soon as i get the circlips out of the k diff's gears.

DCFN0006-2.jpg