Rear Tailights

79D50

Hey Guys/Gals,

So I got some information back from my plastic guy on the price to get a custom set of tailights made for the 620 truck ('73 - '79). It is expensive to produce these as the molds and castings requires a lot of man hours and material. He told me if I can get 10 people to order, we can get them for $100 a set (left and right side). You have the option of ordering them in clear, smoked, blue, orange etc.

Please let me know if you are interested and please, only respond if you are seriously interested in a set. No one else produces these currently so it really is good price when you take into consideration they are completely customized and unique. The lenses do retain OEM fit and function so they are simply a bolt and go application.

FYI - All transactions are handled through paypal and invoices/reciepts will be sent to the email address you specify. This is a legitimate offer and my guy is very professional.

Thanks Everyone,

Paul

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one else produces these currently so it really is good price when you take into consideration they are completely customized and unique. The lenses do retain OEM fit and function so they are simply a bolt and go application.

Probably because any other color but red on a rear light is illegal on the road. Altering you vehicles lighting system is also illegal. Clear and amber turn signals may be allowed. Darkening the red color will reduce it's visibility to cars behind you. There are also laws governing this visible distance. Why would anyone want to reduce their and anyone else's safety? Blue brake lights??? Orange???They may be OEM fit but they can't be OEM function if the color is changed.

• Like 1

I seriously don't want to hit one of these assholes because I can't see them.

Ok Mr. Negative (bet you have heard that before huh Mike?) I'm an asshole because I spend 15K+ on a full restoration to go to shows etc. Watch who you are calling an asshole. There are all kinds of custome tailights, marker lights etc that you see at car shows. If you are a daily driver, I see your point, as vague as it is. This is for people who want to enjoy something unique. Stay out of people's posts if you are going to be a nay sayer - is that clear?

For people who have some money to spend on a unique product because they are restoring a vehicle to custom, the offer stands. PM me if your interested.

Ok Mr. Negative (bet you have heard that before huh Mike?) I'm an asshole because I spend 15K+ on a full restoration to go to shows etc. Watch who you are calling an asshole. There are all kinds of custome tailights, marker lights etc that you see at car shows. If you are a daily driver, I see your point, as vague as it is. This is for people who want to enjoy something unique. Stay out of people's posts if you are going to be a nay sayer - is that clear?

For people who have some money to spend on a unique product because they are restoring a vehicle to custom, the offer stands. PM me if your interested.

I did say "these assholes" so don't feel singled out. Anyone who would impair or reduce the efficiency of their running or brake lights is, well to put it mildly, an asshole. It would be different if it only endangered themselves, but on public roads what about the other drivers. Will they know those blue lights are someone stopping or turning? What about bad weather like snow ar fog will they be seen in time? There's nothing vague about my point. Rear marker, running and brake lights are RED by law. To change to any other color is at the least foolhardy, at most illegal, potentially deadly. You mention OEM function and by extension 'legal for the road'. To be OEM compliant it would have to be inspected and tested in order to be certified for us on public roads. Sure there are lots of custom marker and tail lights at car shows and most are illegal for street use too, but there will always be some (asshole) who will use them.

• Like 1

I did say "these assholes" so don't feel singled out. Anyone who would impair or reduce the efficiency of their running or brake lights is, well to put it mildly, an asshole. It would be different if it only endangered themselves, but on public roads what about the other drivers. Will they know those blue lights are someone stopping or turning? What about bad weather like snow ar fog will they be seen in time? There's nothing vague about my point. Rear marker, running and brake lights are RED by law. To change to any other color is at the least foolhardy, at most illegal, potentially deadly. You mention OEM function and by extension 'legal for the road'. To be OEM compliant it would have to be inspected and tested in order to be certified for us on public roads. Sure there are lots of custom marker and tail lights at car shows and most are illegal for street use too, but there will always be some (asshole) who will use them.

Start pulling up some pictures of the custom Datsuns on this forum in the sticky's and you will see all sorts of "illegal" customizations. It is all up to an individuals style and taste. Some "MODS" are better than others.

For every day street use, I agree in regards to safety etc. For show use or infrequent (Sunday)driving, I don't see a problem. I know a lot of guys who are restoring thier rigs here and it is simply a very cool option and quite frankly an opportunity. Not many vendors are out there making cool aftermarket parts for us Datsun folk. Now with that said I have plans to use LED lights for markers and tails. I recommend these to anyone considering the lense modification. They are yellow and red respectively which will shine through the clear in the colors people expect and are accustomed to seeing. These LEDS are so bright they will shine through lightly smoked lenses as well. Now, the blue, orange, green etc tailights are strictly custom for show use and can be made for those who want them. Let your imagination be your guide but don't compromise your common sense.

If you want the lenses reproduced exactly like OEM (red and white) or like the aftermarket (red, white and yellow signals), they can be made too. Let me set it straight and let's be done with this debate...

***THESE ARE NOT INTENDED TO INSTALL ON A DAILY DRIVER UNLESS YOU ARE REQUESTING STOCK CONFIGURATIONS. CLEAR, SMOKED OR OTHERWISE IS FOR SHOW PURPOSES ONLY.***

If you're putting on custom light covers you aren't "Restoring" anything. I have no problem though with these things in a car show, though any car with green or blue lights certainly wouldn't get my vote no matter how "nice" the rest is. I do have a problem with folks taking these clear or other-color lights out on the street. It doesn't matter if it's just a "Sunday drive". If it's a trailer queen, go nuts. Course I don't vote for trailer queens either.

I've got close to 10 people purchasing as of this afternoon. Please let me know if you are interested as I am combining orders into one invoice and sending the order off this weekend. Once the order is placed this post can be shut down.

Thanks

Heres the lowdown regarding lamps...

The Facts:

Tailights can be 100% clear when not the vehicle is off.

Tailights can be 100% red when not the vehicle is off.

Tailights can be 100% orange when not the vehicle is off.

Tailights can be 100% purple when not the vehicle is off.

Tailights can be 100% green when not the vehicle is off.

etc.

-But-

The running lights have to light up RED when the vehicle is running.

The brake lights have to light up a brighter RED than the running lights when the brakes are applied.

My Ion's front turn signal bulbs when vehicle is off, are purple. When the signals are indicating either direct or hazards they are Orange like the sun!

Mike, although a dude in front of you may have tinted or changed up his tailights illegally or legally and he driving in front of you has to make a sudden stop, although that taillight modder may, in fact, be, an asshole, per se...it is according to the police, and insurance 100% the driver who rear ended him's fault. 100% no contest. If there was a way that you could claim innocence that he had inadequate tailights going on, then every driver who for whatever reason runs into somebody would say "he didn't see him". Although for no-fault you both are always 50-50 guilty if your state or prov has that, and the taillights aren't legal, cops may give that asshole a ticket.

The cops don't want you running into cars because you were talking, texting, getting roadhead, blind, drunk, high, whatever, or even because the 'asshole' has not good-enuf taillights, you are responsible 100% to not run into other people!

Mike, if you can't see these guys at night maybe you have glaucoma? My dad has it, admits he can't see good enough at night, and doesn't do t anymore, and had his licence changed to daytime only driver. Maybe you should take a glaucoma test?

Now back to the tailights, make em LED, make em available in a couple different colours, but make em light up red at Running and Braking. Multi-Colour Capable LEDs please!

Radio

The Facts:

Tailights can be 100% clear when not the vehicle is off.

Tailights can be 100% red when not the vehicle is off.

Tailights can be 100% orange when not the vehicle is off.

Tailights can be 100% purple when not the vehicle is off.

Tailights can be 100% green when not the vehicle is off.

The Facts:

that made 100% no sense when not read by a moron

• Like 3

Clear covers aren't a problem, you just have to have the proper colored reflectors on the sides (amber front quarter, red rear quarter, red rear). The reflectors don't even have to be part of the taillight assembly, they can be separate. The reflectors are required whether it's being driven or not, when on (such as parked) on a public street. There are plenty of legal clear light covers, with proper colored LED lights inside. Can do that with truck tails too, just need a red reflector on each side.

Mike, although a dude in front of you may have tinted or changed up his tailights illegally or legally and he driving in front of you has to make a sudden stop, although that taillight modder may, in fact, be, an asshole, per se...it is according to the police, and insurance 100% the driver who rear ended him's fault. 100% no contest. If there was a way that you could claim innocence that he had inadequate tailights going on, then every driver who for whatever reason runs into somebody would say "he didn't see him". Although for no-fault you both are always 50-50 guilty if your state or prov has that, and the taillights aren't legal, cops may give that asshole a ticket.

This is likely true and there are penalties that can be applied to him or me. This does not help me or him or some other innocent person if they are killed. I want to point a finger at the problem before an accident not after the fact. I'm for freedom of expression and customizing your ride is a national pastime, I get it. So on the street, why do people not make tail lights larger and more visible? Why do they make smaller and less visible or remove the side markers all together? Do they put smaller brakes on their rides, smaller seat belts, smaller tires and rims? Isn't being visible to other cars another form of safety equipment like a roll bar, up-graded brakes and suspension?

Mike, if you can't see these guys at night maybe you have glaucoma? My dad has it, admits he can't see good enough at night, and doesn't do t anymore, and had his licence changed to daytime only driver. Maybe you should take a glaucoma test?

Not saying I have trouble seeing tail lights at night. (but thanks for the concern, eh?) I said reducing the light output by changing or smoking the lenses or changing the bulbs makes them harder to see. Hell, I want drivers behind me to know I'm ahead of them. Obviously some peopll don't because it looks cool. People start smoking because it's cool too.

Wow with all the venom here I am afraid to chime in. I do like the idea of a clear (Some Lexus SUVs have clear tails with colored LEDS from the factory and that's a luxury line) or Red with clear turn and LED bulbs. If this is an option I would be down for a pair.

PM me with your interest.

Again...common sense prevails with your application. Personally, I have correctly colored LED lights underneath all my clear lenses. I'm not your mother...and don't care if you buy them to sit on a shelf, give to your friends or otherwise. People are going to do what they want regardless of the arguments and back and forth chatter on a forum. It's an opportunity for a customized part. Take it or leave it - it is that simple.

in fact, be, an asshole, per se...it is according to the police, and insurance 100% the driver who rear ended him's fault. 100% no contest. If there was a way that you could claim innocence

FAIL!

1) i have had that exact thing happen, NO brake lights=inoperable, found not guilty!

THEY had to pay for MY damage.

2) when i rear ended a bad driver, that cut me off in the rain (no witness for either), i was found to be only 20% negligent.

3) when my EX was invloved in a 3way collision (middle car) the ins co wanted us to pay for the first car, i argued for months and the ins finally dropped ANY claim to the front car AND made the 3rd car pay 50% for the front damage of our car.

fuck ins cos!

back to the lights...

So can you get them in red? like normal? or possibly solid red (No reverse lights)

Its called candy apple red...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252967

it's illegal.... I did it on my 4runner since my back up lights are in the middle and not on the tail lights... Not on the 620....

Blazing_Runner_by_motavated.jpg

I had a buddy get rear ended back in 00' when the clear taillight revolution was in full swing, and it was totally not his fault, but the cop wrote him the ticket and called him at fault because he had clear lights with no red reflector in them. after studying idaho law, it wasn't necessarilly that the lens was clear being the isssue, but that there was no colored reflection. I have stayed away from them ever since. While I appreciate someone going out of their way to help us with customization choices on out pickups, be honest the whole "this part intended for off-road use only" or "intended for show use only" is a bullshit out on their part to sell an illegal for road use part.

I have shown cars for many years, and never would I put something on my car for the show (besides some spit shine and maybe a stuffed animal climbing out from underhood sometimes) that I would take back off to drive it out........just my opinion. But you may be wrong. Good luck on your group sale i know it is hard to coordinate something like this, so don't take it personally that some don't think it's good to do.

Bill