Truck starting issues.

athoose

My truck is having starting issues. I checked the voltage on the battery and it’s good. With the ignition switch in the start position it will sometimes crank right up, other times it will crank a little slower, sometimes the starter will slow to a stop before starting (around 5 seconds) - acting like the battery is dead. Lastly it will sometimes just act like the battery is dead. It will always start; it’s just a question of how many turns of the ignition switch it takes. I cleaned the battery, starter, and ground wires, which eliminated the problem. Two weeks later and it’s happening again - same problems. Usually I’d just jump in and start troubleshooting but it is unbelievable hot and humid in NC right now. Anyone here familiar with this issue?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the starter off to bench test it. Wouldn't work. I saw that a big screw (for the feild coil) in the side was missing so I replaced it and that got it working. But once I bolted everything into the truck it only worked twice without problem. THe third time it just grinded and wouldn't start thereafter. Disassembled and reassembled, same thing - worked twice no problem then grind and no start. Any ideas?

If you are replacing the starer get one from a 81-83 280ZX. Its a gear reduction and bolts right in. Faster starts and less stress on the battery. Just pay the core charge at the auto parts and return your old one the next day. Sometimes they get weird at the counter if the old one does not match the new one.