Supercharged VG30 ,stretched 720 Pickup

update

Got started on the upper shock mounts today .

IMG_2704_zpsikmbuh61.jpg

Going to make them adjustable , seemed like a good idea

IMG_2706_zpssttoshjo.jpg

IMG_2708_zpsalz2edcf.jpg

IMG_2710_zpsu3o17vz0.jpg

IMG_2714_zpsbgglhqce.jpg

IMG_2715_zps2p3kvudl.jpg

There will be a 3/8ths plate with adjustment holes where the white cardboard is , I will tack it up and put the engine and trans back in and the cab on before I weld it all out .

IMG_2720_zpsszndgr2z.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update

Oh I do love that plasma cutter ....goes through 3/8 plate like butter

IMG_2725_zpsjbalcr2x.jpg

Upper front shock fixtures

IMG_2727_zpsqtqc90g1.jpg

oh I have to mention these clamps called lockjaw , they are self adjusting , you set the amount of tension and the adjust to what ever thickness you grab onto , and release with an easy pull on the lever , I just love these things that make life in the shop better .

IMG_2730_zpszmptbkwq.jpg

IMG_2745_zpsnvhkyqfx.jpg

IMG_2733_zpsjk5zls78.jpg

Here I tack welded the bracket on to drill the holes , don't want it moving and it's too difficult to clamp and keep moving to the next position.

IMG_2737_zpsanbkzm7o.jpg

IMG_2740_zpsgrae8npf.jpg

IMG_2743_zpshemng9cf.jpg

Welding the piece on to drill assures the holes will line up later.

IMG_2750_zpsea03nwcx.jpg

IMG_2754_zpszfiwyqjh.jpg

IMG_2757_zpsrzk3nvd6.jpg

I made little cover plates , once I test fit the engine & trans and Cab I will remove the little covers and weld the inside of the uprights , and weld the covers completely .

IMG_2759_zpscdxhmsqo.jpg

IMG_2765_zps0vhkj0wq.jpg

Sweet is all I can say after today ...................

IMG_2769_zpsvbeylgsv.jpg

• Like 8

Update

Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions

Blue Thunder is like a fine Wine Morelow ........LOL LOL

IMG_20161007_110438225_zpsvbqdanny.jpg

IMG_20161007_110252830_zpsublk0vvv.jpg

IMG_20161007_110311966_zpscsnv4xwn.jpg

the springs have no preload on them and the dampening is set on total soft .

Was hoping to put the cab on today , but it's pouring rain here , and I have to roll the chassis outside to get the cab organized on the hoist, so unless the rain stops ............

• Like 7

Update

Got the cab back on the chassis still a couple of small issues with getting it to line up exactly where I want it , will take care of them and then start fabbing the new cab mounts.

IMG_2783_zpsng7nke34.jpg

IMG_2786_zpswwmaqnj6.jpg

It's so nice to see it out side !!!!!!!

IMG_2787_zpshrxzhy7w.jpg

My wife and I were standing the box up on it's nose and while we were moving it one of the straps let go and it crashed to the floor and broke one of the tail lights and dinged the corner $%&@Y%NYVW!!!!! Not Happy

IMG_2794_zpsvau2djyt.jpg

I didn't take any pic's of it on the ground with the cab on , was running out of time and it's now on jack stands , soon .......

• Like 4

Update

Spent most of the day cleaning up after the grinding fest , I use the leaf blower , works awesome .

Also got a look at the box inner side panels , these I saved from blue thunders original box ,

They are not in very good condition at all , lots of dents and rusted out bottoms , but they are way better than nothing .

I was keeping them for patterns , I was going to make Aluminum ones for this new box , but now they have to be welded in to support the body drop , so I will have to repair and crop and add to them first .............

IMG_2795_zpshr3eoqm9.jpg

5849eb1f-8bab-4865-bc19-073ebbb8eda5_zps

IMG_2798_zpswdhz84kx.jpg

• Like 3

Update

Well the inside panels for the box aren't going to work , they dip in along the top for the cleats to bolt on and that's where the fender needs to be welded on , so I am going to have to make new ones ..........

IMG_2801_zpsxlg7xoc7.jpg

I also had to nuke the front nose of the chassis , was just not cooperating , was in the way of the body and the bumper mounts were totally wrong, also the cab mounts were way too low .so I am going to have to make new one ..........

IMG_2814_zpsdwsneyu8.jpg

IMG_2816_zpsqttbl0pn.jpg

IMG_2818_zpsg47mqpnw.jpg

Got the cab right where I want it finally .....here is a pic from the side , not too bad !!!!!

IMG_2808_zpslciyxad3.jpg

will fab up some mounts tomorrow for the main cab , and build a front cross member to hold everything else.

I discovered that the front clip on the body of my truck was in an accident at some time and the front is out of whack , it's farther to the drivers side buy about 1/2 an inch , so I am going to get all the cab mounts done , bolt down the main cab and porta power the nose over till its right .

• Like 8

Update

Thanks Anderson521 , it's been a tough few weeks of sorting problems ,it's not over yet but its coming along , looking forward to doing some of the more fun stuff .

Worked on the Cab mounts , I started with the rear , bent up a 1/8 th inch plate to double up the floor , and modified the stock D21 frame mount .

IMG_2820_zpswcvffdxy.jpg

IMG_2822_zps7by43rwv.jpg

IMG_2825_zps5ralug8g.jpg

I decide to make a captive nut in the floor , so I turned a couple of nuts in the lathe

IMG_2827_zpsgt6akcot.jpg

IMG_2828_zpscvjwfbr1.jpg

IMG_2832_zpsmfetofki.jpg

It looks so simple but as usual it was a pain in the butt

IMG_2838_zpschrowkyg.jpg

IMG_2842_zpspba5kplp.jpg

I got the front ones cut and laid out , they will go on tomorrow , then work on the nose cross member and straighten out the front inner fender problem.

• Like 7

Update

Front Cab mounts are coming along !!!!!

IMG_2845_zps6jyr4xov.jpg

IMG_2849_zps5bp3rysk.jpg

IMG_2850_zps1puuu6yr.jpg

These little gusset plates will get holes and be welded under the rectangular tube

IMG_2857_zpstrw05bun.jpg

IMG_2858_zpslv120fdx.jpg

IMG_2861_zpsd6xezjzp.jpg

Shouldn't take too long to get tacked in and then start building the nose cross member , hopefully if its not raining tomorrow I will go and get the sheet metal for the box sides and the 120 wall 1 1/4 Dom tube for the 4 link & panhard rod , have been leaning towards a watts link ......

• Like 7

Update ....

Thought I would share a cool tool with you guys , it's a magnet that holds stuff while you tack it , extremely helpful , it holds stuff square and works really well on tubing , for tabs and small brackets .

IMG_2864_zpssfdsyr6g.jpg

IMG_2867_zpsqt7h4rtq.jpg

Here it is on a piece of tubing

IMG_2889_zpsqphmhjhq.jpg

I cost about $ 15 dollars and is worth every penny !!!!

IMG_2890_zpsz0a0oykz.jpg

IMG_2893_zpsroc0xvnj.jpg

Back to the cab mounts ...

IMG_2870_zpshstkzfwo.jpg

IMG_2881_zpsbctve7o2.jpg

IMG_2884_zpsal2848lt.jpg

IMG_2897_zps3a2wwgpi.jpg

And of course I will put the right length bolt with flats and locks or nylocks

IMG_2901_zpsyc21lnaz.jpg

• Like 8

Update

Cab mounts

IMG_2907_zpsv3h8r8bj.jpg

Yup business as usual , go to the next step to find the next thing that doesn't jive ..............

Put the hood on so I could line up the fenders and get the front cross member under way.

The body is lower than it was before so the hood hit's the super charger long before the hood is closed .....got to say I did see this coming .

IMG_2909_zpsqfeadxtn.jpg

IMG_2914_zpsycr7ppbx.jpg

I have a couple of solutions ...

IMG_2908_zpsmxooioay.jpg

A scoop on a scoop , so to speak

IMG_2917_zpsz4b09pfs.jpg

looking forward to finishing this beast , it just looks so bitchin !!!! can't wait to see it with the box on , on the floor at ride hight

IMG_2919_zpsnf31xigf.jpg

• Like 4

I think it would look pretty awesome with the blower poking through the area you have outlined!  I don't really care for valve covers showing through on body drops, but a blower is completely different!!!!  People will understand the "thunder" part. :)

• Like 3