Jeff's 71 4-door dime

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy who built my Lz22 also put a more aggressive cam in and chose 46mm SUs built by Ztherapy. Sounds amazing. My bro was in my garage the other day and I started up the dime and he said, "I'd never guess that was only a 4 cylinder in there!"

• 2 weeks later...

Got some stuff in the mail...:hyper: SDC14899.jpgSDC14904.jpg

the roadster clutch cover was the last one they said they had at titus will nissan. I didn't realize that they are nissanparts.cc! I saved like $30 just because I ordered it online even tho it was the same exact part shipped from the exact same place. The webers are 40s but I am meeting a guy tomorrow with a nice set of 45s so I might get those and use em on this mani...We'll see...

• 2 months later...

Thought i would upload some pics of the progress: this is the inside of the homemade race pan that that came with the motor. looks like it should work good. also notice the evidence of a previous scattered motor.

iphonepics023.jpgiphonepics020.jpg

here she is after a few hours work.

iphonepics049.jpg

it had a pretty beefy custom trans mount on the old 5speed

iphonepics053.jpg

anyone recognize this trans? standard pattern 31" long, no markings that i can find except what is in the pic: 1 1 13 255 iphonepics052.jpgiphonepics051.jpg

now it's time for this bad bay to go in... hopefully the rain lets up next weekend.

iphonepics042.jpg

The motor and trans are in!

1-6-12pics011.jpg1-6-12pics010.jpg

The oil pan is real close to the crossmember though so I had to use a couple washers on the motor mounts and use a hammer on the pan to get it to fit. I also had to flip the drivers rubber mount around so things would line up. I don't know why though, I thought the z22 block had the same mounting as the L18 or L20b? I also was suprised to see that the custom trans mount that was on the car with the long tail trans, fit the short tail dogleg perfectly when I flipped it around. everything under the car is done, now all I need to do is hook up the engine bay accessories and fire it up!:hyper:

• Like 1

That is awesome man! Congrats! (But maybe you shoulda cleaned that engine bay up a bit! It is like a diamond ring in a brown cardboard box! :lol: )

Bus seriously that is great. I have a LZ hybrid in mine too. The old skool looks with a bit more grunt. Psyched for a vid!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got it all put back together! tried to fire it up but had a few problems. first I think I got the plug wires mixed up. I just copied my L18 but I think the L20b is different. I got the order right just started in the wrong spot so I need to find TDC and start fresh. also one of the webers is dripping fuel out of the horn. Stuck needle? maybe the float is stuck? the floats were in rough shape and I re-soldered them, so that could be it. I'm so close I can taste it!!!

Good thing you have those yellow headlights or you might not be able to find it today..

Your old trans looks like a truck, or 280z or maybe the early zx ..

Trans identification link...look at comparisons at bottom of page ..now im not positive these are correct for every trans BUT i have checked on a few since i found this and it seems legit..

http://www.geocities...oker/ratio.html

And BTW the camber plates i got from you seem to fit nicely on my sons 79 510 wagon ....reeeeel nicely

Yeah I did a little more research on that trans and I think it is a truck or zx trans. maybe I will save it to rebuild later, in case I grenade the dogleg, it has nice close ratios too. I'm glad you finally used those camber plates. they are nice tein ones so they should hold up to whatever he can dish out on em.