74 620 engine swap

mralerico

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Small engine big hp in heavy truck not as good and no where as cheap as VG30 or KA24 E or DE with same hp in heavy truck. Unless you are 'into the turbo' all the time that 1.8 will be lugging a ton and a half around all day. The much larger KA and specially the VG30 have way more bottom end torque and will be way more fun to drive the rest of the time.There's lots of parts support and yards are full of them. The DET is an import motor good luck finding a replacement head when you want one.

Search for turbo L series motors.

You can have the same thing for way less than turboing an L series...and it will do it all day long. There are no kits that will make 200hp. Everything will be custom made one offs. The more power you make with it the more stuff you will need to change or add or it will last less than 20 minutes. This is going to get very expensive.

As Hainz would say:

You got L18 not RB26!!!!!! I say drive it and enjoy it!!!!!!.

From personal experience the Ca18 without the turbo would be not so good. The CA is probably not the best way to go if you are looking to make power.

Really you have to weigh initial engine costs, and then look at the potential of each engine. If you wanted to spend the extra dough up front you could get an SR20det and turn the boost up a little and have a great time. If you wanted to save money you could buy a KA24 and have some torque but then spend a decent amount of money to match the power of the SR.

The only real benefit I know of with the CA18 is that it is an iron block where the SR20 is alluminium (or so I have been told). My friend drove a 89 Silvia that came stock with a CA18det and he went through two engines. Parts are expensive and you wait longer and it make less power. The engine is indeed less expensive then an S2 and more then a KA but you have to question the reliability of any used engine you buy. There are enough built SR and KA around that you could probably land one that has been decently maintained. CA's on the other hand are a bit harder to come by, my friend bought his from an importer and they had to send one back as it was bunk, and the next one ended up going bad and frying the piston rings.

Here is a pic of the car from our trip to SEMA last year... it was the last time it ran properly.

100_0610.jpg

I personally, would probably just look at a KA for a build they are usually pretty much being given away, there are enough parts out there to make them peppy and if it brakes you can easily replace it with another. I don't know much about Datsuns but it would seem that it is a fairly common swap, and it must be for reason. However, if you have the cash then go out and do an SR or maybe even an RB25. Hope that was somewhat helpful, i should mention that my friend would swear up and down that the CA is still better then the SR, but even he is now considering ditching it.

Now I have a question. Do people ever put 1JZ's in Datsuns? I don't know if that is considered blastphamy or not but thought I would ask.

well whats the most power i can get for cheap what engine and what mods

if you have to have a swap a ka is the cheapest.

ok so i have some questions

Are you mechanically inclined ?

do you have the tools you will need to do this?

do you have the time to do this?

do you have the money?

do you have the stamina for when things go wrong and you have to figure shit out your self?

will your wife or girl friend let you do this !

Now I have a question. Do people ever put 1JZ's in Datsuns? I don't know if that is considered blastphamy or not but thought I would ask.

what datsun? there are 2jz in a few z's . in a dime its kind of pointless

Besides the price of the engine my cousin put a dual cam in his 78 and it cost about 500 or 700. I can't remeber but let me tell you it will roast them through 3rd no problem at all. The other thing you are going to need is a brake up grade the stock 74 brakes will not stop you with a 150 horses at the wheels.