Lowering 510 Wagon rear

cuda510

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you look at your leaf springs theres a short leaf spring on the very bottom. If you take and remove the spring shackles theres a threaded pin that holds the leaf spring pack together; remove the pin carefully (maybe use some sort of rust penetrating to prevent ruining the pin), take that short bottom leaf and invert it (so that it's arched in the opposite direction of the other springs), using two C clamps clamp put the pin in the center of the leaf using and using the C clamps and the pin as a guide clamp the spring back down. Make sure that the pin goes through the leaf springs again. Bolt it back together and slowly remove the C clamps. Then replace the all the leaf spring shackles and U bolts, and it should lower it about an inch and a half. Sounds alot harder then it is but it only took me about a half an hour to do both sides my first time.

first off thanks tiltnose! its nice to find an active Datsun forum.

69FJ - will I lose tension on my rear leaf springs?

dreamer - Im not sure how lowering blocks will work, because the axle is under the leaf springs

Thanks guys!

the lowering blocks will work I have a set of those installed also but they are a 4 degree pinion angle spacer and I cant remember what size.and in my opinion the wagon rear leafs dont have enough spring rate anyway.

I would go with a 2inch block max! If you decide to go any lower this is required!!!

IMG00176.JPG.jpg

This is my buddies wagon, we spend a week after work fixing a few problems, one being the ride quality! His is lowered 4" in the back, aka bang bang bang with out this mod.

Side view.

IMG00182-1.JPG.jpg

What are you doing with the front? 1" might be a good spot to start. Blocks are cheap, if you want more drop you can always pic up another set for 30 bucks.

If the leaf springs are on top of the axle than you should be able to put the axle on top to lower it without ride quality loss.We do axle flips on trailers all the time at work.Anybody done this?Is it really on top?

I've only seen the 4X4s with leaves above the axle.

Lowering will allow for less travel before hitting something. Seems prudent to stiffen them too. What about a trip to the 'yard'? Lots of rear spring sets there. Select a fairly flat set, same width but can be thicker. Leave the front and rear shackle on the car, unbolt the U bolts and jack the axle tube up out of the way. Carefully remove the center locating pin and allow the lower leaves to drop away. Add flatter leaves or mix 'n match leaves to get the drop and stiffness you want. The original long top spring stays, you just add a flatter spring or two under, that will sit lower and add stiffness. Try for the same number of springs so the pin will reach through them.

I did this on my truck but for extra height. Kept the top Datsun spring, added F-150 lower springs, instant 5" higher.